Jardine Cribs Recalled

Discussion in 'General' started by Chillers, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I wanted to add that the recall is calls for stopping usage of the cribs immediately. They are going to offer full value to buy a replacement.

I know our cribs are affected.

3. caba

caba Banned

Ack! I think this is us too! I gotta check after work today ... I guess the bubs will be sleeping in their PNPs tonight!

4. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for posting this. OMG. BOTH of our cribs are affected. The Cust Svc person I spoke was VERY helpful and didn't give me any hassle about there being two cribs. I won't get the vouchers for 1-2wks!!

5. Angela0580

Angela0580 Well-Known Member

What kind of info do you need when you call? My cribs are affected, and a few months ago Abbie kicked the bar out of her crib, I thought it was odd, but thought maybe it was because we have moved a few times and had put to much pressure on them by taking them apart/putting them back together but now I know why! Peter made a bar out of a peice of wood and put it in there and we've been using it like that for awhile.

6. FirstTimeMom814

You just need the model number and the date it was manufactured on.

7. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

Both of mine are affected too. I'm trying to get through on the recall hotline, but the line is busy. There's also an online form you can fill out, but since I need two vouchers, I don't think it'll work for me.

Those whose cribs are recalled.... what are you going to do for sleeping in the meantime? Anyone going to keep using the cribs?

8. JessiePlus2

I got through to a customer service rep. They're sending two packages that should arrive in 7-10 business days. They have instructions for how to dissemble the crib and which parts we're supposed to mail back to Jardine. Once Jardine receives the pieces, they'll mail out two vouchers that are good at BRU. I asked them what to do in the meantime since it's going to take several weeks to get the vouchers. The rep said to check all the slats and if none are broken or damaged, then it's ok to continue to use the crib temporarily. If any are damaged, then we can go to BRU and purchase a new crib (or cribs). Once the vouchers arrive, we can take them to BRU with the receipt for the new cribs and get a cash refund. So, that's good to know. I don't know how they expect us to manage without cribs for 3-4 weeks!

9. caba

caba Banned

Well then you have to buy new cribs first! How can you disassemble the crib to send pieces back, but still have the kids sleep in them?? That makes no sense! I am going to call tomorrow ...

Where did you find that date code or the date it was manufactured on?

10. JessiePlus2

Crap, you're right. I hadn't thought of that. I have the Berkeley Lifetime Crib and the model number and date code are on the bottom of the right hand side piece.

11. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(JessiePlus2 @ Jun 25 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]846190[/snapback]
    Crap, you're right. I hadn't thought of that. I have the Berkeley Lifetime Crib and the model number and date code are on the bottom of the right hand side piece.

I have the same exact one! I'm going to call today ... me and DH are going to go buy cribs this weekend ... I didn't even catch the thing about taking them apart so how can they sleep in them ... hehe ... I was reading what you wrote to DH and he said "Well, how can the kids sleep in our cribs if we take them apart?" and I was like "I have no idea! I should probably write back and tell her that!"

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

12. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i don't have this crib thankfully but ya know after reading some of these posts i am annoyed at the company. it will take at least 4 weeks? wow they should have something else like you can take the cribs to BRU and get a new crib. let the store deal with it. how are your babies supposed to sleep? where? so you return the crib peices and then what. what if you can't afford to go out right now and buy 2 cribs what of those people.

sorry i would just be upset at them if it was me because right now i dont think i could go out and just buy 2 cribs and wait for a month or so to get my money back because of their mess up.

13. caba

caba Banned

Your right ... It is frustrating ... I'm actually going to call right now and ask this exact question ... I have a BRU credit card, so I'll just charge them, and then get my CC credited when I get the vouchers ...

14. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

HEy!! I have TWO!!! EEK!

15. caba

caba Banned

Yeah, I just called. They didn't even ask me for the date code ... Just all my info, and the model. I told her I had two ... and she gave me 2 confirmation #s. Told me it would take about 2 weeks for the kit to come in the mail, we have to send pieces of the crib back, and they we will get issued a voucher. I asked for how much (274$ for the Berkeley Lifetime Natural) which is what we have!

But what is important to know is that the voucher can ONLY be used for a crib. So if I buy 2 cribs that are each $200 ... I do not get the difference ... so obviously we are going to be spending the same amount of money we are gettin g... I don't want them to get any extra!

16. JessiePlus2

We're going this weekend to pick out new cribs too. When we bought the ones they have now, it took 2 weeks for BRU to get them in stock. So I'm hoping that we can go pick out the cribs this weekend and that they'll be in for us to pick them up around the time that we get the kit to send back the crib parts. The whole thing is so frustrating and such a hassle. The nearest BRU to us is an hour away so we're going to have to make 3 trips and one of those trips will be hauling a trailer (one trip to pick out the cribs, one trip with a trailer to pick them up, and another to get reimbursed once we have our vouchers).

I love my cribs so much and I'm afraid I won't be able to find one that has all the same features for the same price. :angry:

17. hannah_willsmom

hannah_willsmom Well-Known Member

I called the 800 number yesterday. They told me it was ok to use if there are no broken pieces.

I called again today and they told me to STOP using them now.

I also asked what we were supposed to do because we don't have $270 x 2 to pay for new cribs while we wait for the vouchers. I asked where should our kids sleep. The lady actually told me that they could sleep on the floor. SLEEP on the FLOOR???? Clearly this lady has no idea what it's like to have twins. It would probably be more dangerous for them to sleep on the floor and for them to sleep in the cribs they've been using for two and a half years.

I am so frustrated.

18. Jennie-OH

QUOTE(Hannah&Willsmom @ Jun 26 2008, 11:58 AM) [snapback]847116[/snapback]
    The lady actually told me that they could sleep on the floor.

And with THAT, I would have asked for the manager. That is a ridiculous response.

With these vouchers, do you have to buy Jardin cribs? Or can you buy any crib? Because, frankly, I've heard enough of Jardin to make me want to throw the vouchers away and buy something entirely different.

19. hannah_willsmom

hannah_willsmom Well-Known Member

I think you can buy any crib. I went to BRU today and everyone was very helpful. I am going to put the cribs on my VISA card. They told me that they would "return" the cribs when the voucher came in and then I could use the voucher to "rebuy" the cribs. The problem is that they don't have two of any cribs right now, so I have to wait a a couple of weeks anyway.

DH is very upset at the response I was given by the Jardine customer service rep. You know, if my kids were ready to sleep on the floor, they wouldn't be in cribs, they'd be in toddler beds.

20. caba

caba Banned

Yeah, I'm going to BRU today to pick some out ... I was thinking about that too though, the wait to get hte cribs could be long! ugh!

And as for sleeping on the floor?!?! I would never! My kids would be up in a second, running around their room, making a mess and certainly not sleeping ... give me a break!

21. Angela0580

Angela0580 Well-Known Member

Can you ONLY buy cribs, or do toddler beds count too? Were pretty much ready for toddler beds at our house, we were only planning on staying in cribs for about another few months anyways. I guess if I HAVE to get cribs I will, but what a hassle to take down the ones we have, get the new ones, set them up, sell them in a few months, and then go out to buy toddler beds and set those up too!

22. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Angela0580 @ Jun 27 2008, 02:00 PM) [snapback]849391[/snapback]
    Can you ONLY buy cribs, or do toddler beds count too? Were pretty much ready for toddler beds at our house, we were only planning on staying in cribs for about another few months anyways. I guess if I HAVE to get cribs I will, but what a hassle to take down the ones we have, get the new ones, set them up, sell them in a few months, and then go out to buy toddler beds and set those up too!

If you were that close to getting toddler beds...I'd be tempted to get the new cribs and NOT open them....and SELL Them as NEW! (just a thought)

;)

23. ~rosie~

~rosie~ Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MissyEby @ Jun 27 2008, 01:07 PM) [snapback]849414[/snapback]
    If you were that close to getting toddler beds...I'd be tempted to get the new cribs and NOT open them....and SELL Them as NEW! (just a thought)

;)

That was my exact thought as well.

24. Colette+2

Colette+2 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm a total ding dong, we have two Jardine cribs and I can't figure out where the model numbers on them are. I don't recall the name of them either. I see a white sticker on the bottom of the headboard. It just has the following numbers LH printed in red followed by 0604 (in blue) and then QC in red followed by 09 (in blue). But nothing about dates or model #'s or anything. Am I looking in the wrong place????

25. Jennie-OH

Colette, our stickers were on the head/foot board facing to the inside under the mattress. Those sound like model#s (ones I don't see on the list) but you should call that 800# to be sure.

26. Colette+2

Colette+2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jennie-OH @ Jun 29 2008, 01:32 PM) [snapback]851583[/snapback]
    Colette, our stickers were on the head/foot board facing to the inside under the mattress. Those sound like model#s (ones I don't see on the list) but you should call that 800# to be sure.

Thank you so much. I did figure it out. That wasn't our model number, we are one number away from the recall. But the crib I was looking at didn't have the model # sticker, luckily they are both the same.

27. Jennie-OH

I bought a new crib today at Babies R Us. They were very helpful, very reassuring and I was pleased with the help they've been thus far. We'll see how it goes with getting the vouchers and getting my credit but so far this hasn't been too difficult of an experience. Though, it ain't over til it's over, right?

28. caba

caba Banned

I am beyond annoyed. I went to look for new cribs yesterday ... and the selection isn't that great, at least not within the same price range ($275 a crib) ... there is a MUCH bigger selection on BabiesRus.com, but you can't use the vouchers there! So we OF COURSE ended up spending more than our vouchers were worth ... because I didn't want a crib that I didn't like ... ugh. Luckily I just got a 10% off your entire purchase coupon from BRU today! So between that and the twin discount, it should break even ...

29. Jennie-OH

Guess I got lucky because I immediately found several I liked alot. A few were $50 or so more than our voucher will be but I figured on 3yr old cribs, that was no big deal for us. The one I ended up getting was a little less than our voucher as it turned out. :)

30. JessiePlus2

I went on Satuday and had the same experience Erica did. We paid $259 for our cribs and for another Jardine crib with the same features, the cheapest version is $319! I am just beyond annoyed that we are expected to pay more for a replacement crib because Jardine made an unsafe product! :angry:

Erica, what cribs did you end up with?

We are in a holding pattern right now. We'd like to get the Simplicity Ellis style, but they don't have any white ones in stock and the computer shows them on backorder. So, we're calling the store every few days to see if the computer will allow them to order the cribs. They're $269, so we should break even. But, there is the chance that the computer will show the white cribs as discontinued. If that's the case, then we'll order the Da Vinci Emily crib in white from the Web site. The store manager said they're not supposed to "return" online orders in the store, but that he'll do it for people impacted by the crib recall. But, if we order a crib online, we won't be reimbursed the shipping. And, for two cribs, shipping is $60. Since the Da Vinci crib is $279, we'd be out the extra $20 per crib plus the $60 in shipping!

Argh. I am just so annoyed with this whole situation!

31. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(JessiePlus2 @ Jun 30 2008, 11:06 AM) [snapback]852956[/snapback]
    I went on Satuday and had the same experience Erica did. We paid $259 for our cribs and for another Jardine crib with the same features, the cheapest version is $319! I am just beyond annoyed that we are expected to pay more for a replacement crib because Jardine made an unsafe product! :angry:

Erica, what cribs did you end up with?

We are in a holding pattern right now. We'd like to get the Simplicity Ellis style, but they don't have any white ones in stock and the computer shows them on backorder. So, we're calling the store every few days to see if the computer will allow them to order the cribs. They're $269, so we should break even. But, there is the chance that the computer will show the white cribs as discontinued. If that's the case, then we'll order the Da Vinci Emily crib in white from the Web site. The store manager said they're not supposed to "return" online orders in the store, but that he'll do it for people impacted by the crib recall. But, if we order a crib online, we won't be reimbursed the shipping. And, for two cribs, shipping is $60. Since the Da Vinci crib is $279, we'd be out the extra $20 per crib plus the $60 in shipping!

Argh. I am just so annoyed with this whole situation!

We actually went with another Jardine one ... We almost got the simplicity Ellis too (beautiful crib!) but they only had it in Cherry ... and our wood is natural, so it really would have stood out as being so differently colored ... We went with the Jardine Capril that was 319$... that's why I was also annoyed! You have a nicer babies r us than I do, because mine said I couldn't user the voucher if I ordered online ... ack! So we had to buy in the store. The whole things is a royal pain in the @ss.

32. Jennie-OH

anyone else get their "voucher kit"?? what a pain in the rear end! ugh. They make darn sure you won't be using that crib again though.

33. FirstTimeMom814

QUOTE(Jennie-OH @ Jul 2 2008, 08:57 AM) [snapback]856489[/snapback]
    anyone else get their "voucher kit"?? what a pain in the rear end! ugh. They make darn sure you won't be using that crib again though.

Not yet. What parts do they want back? And how do they expect you to send it back?

34. Jennie-OH

I got one yesterday and THREE more today! I only have 2 cribs. lol.

They want you to remove and send them all of the mattress supports and the hardware from them plus the crib sticker. You will be unable to use the crib after that. We weren't using one of ours anymore and were planning to do one, get a voucher, buy a new crib for Alex, then do the other and get that voucher. But I decided to pick up a new crib Sunday so I'll just do the twins' crib at the same time - now that I have FOUR kits. lol

35. caba

caba Banned

We didn't get our voucher yet either. Maybe I'm a bad mom, but mine are still sleeping in the cribs. We checked the slats, they seems fine. So they are still in there. Whenever we get the kits, we will just hold onto them until we get the new cribs. Once they are set up and put together, I will take the old ones apart. Pain in the @ss, isn't it??

When we ordered the cribs (last Saturday) they said 7-14 days ... so hopefully sometime next week!