Jon & Kate + 8

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 26, 2009.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

There is no way I can try to catch up on the tread that is/was going titled Jon & Kate +8 season 3 (2008)

I am going to try and get into this new season (5) and watch because their lives sound interesting but mostly because of all the press around the supposed infidelity.

I had watched maybe 2 other shows on them before. One when they visited an aquarium and one when she had a tummy tuck.

I am watching the season premier right now (I recorded it from last night). I have to say so far it seems very sad. They are sharing the drama that they are now going through because of all the press is saying about their lives

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Anyone know of a website where I could watch it online? We don't get TLC. :(

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I just finished watching it and it was so sad! I was really surprised with Jon's "ho hum" attitude and very surprised that I felt so much sympathy for Kate. I cried when one of the girls told her Dad she didn't want him leaving any more. :( I am glad that TLC made it so "real" and didn't pretend that everything was okay. Very smart on TLC's part.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ May 26 2009, 01:22 PM) [snapback]1328407[/snapback]
    Anyone know of a website where I could watch it online? We don't get TLC. :(

Did you try TLC's website? I wonder if they would have it.

I was very sad watching it last night too. I started watching in season 2 and haven't missed an episode since. I feel bad for them because it is obviously much more than they ever imagined and honestly, who knows how to deal with fame at first? :(

6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I've been a sporadic viewer over the years. It seemed like Jon and Kate weren't even on the same page about where their relationship stood.

Although I'd be lying if I didn't say that I have it in the back of my mind that the whole thing might be a publicity stunt.

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

8. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

I watched it and was so sad. I can't stop thinking about it, actually. I feel terrible for those kiddos and cannot imagine dealing with the situation they are facing.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ May 26 2009, 02:38 PM) [snapback]1328524[/snapback]
    I tried that it's just a 30 second preview. Oh well. :(
    I'm probably the only person in the US that doesn't get TLC!

Oh bummer. Sorry.

10. twin_trip_mommy

"I was a wimp" That is what I remember him saying as they were talking about the planning of the party. How sad that he talks about himself that way.

the child did not say "oh there's the paparazzi! The child said "what's paparazzi?" and only because the Mom said to the children "let's get out quick because the paparazzi is here".

I admit it would be frustrating to be followed but she has to know WHY they are following and part is because she is on TV.

Again he cut himself down "I can't write... talk... some say I can't even breath right" :(

How sad was that when he was hugging his little girl. And then he said "miss me?" and she said "Daddy I don't want you to leave anymore" :cry: But WOW did she (Kate) treat him with a cold shoulder at the party.

Sorry to those who sing individually to each of your children but I am so glad they did not make us listen to them sing to each of the children individually and edit/cut the song to make it sound like it was sung once.

To ask the question

"So do you guys know what the future holds?" with them sitting together with that closed/blocking body language on that tiny couch.

How very sad. I don't really know how the other seasons went. I have heard she talked meanly to him and he may have cheated at least emotionally but what a sad way for a relationship to go and to have it recorded for people to watch (and for the children to watch later).

11. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I saw "highlights" If you want to call it that on the Today Show this morning. I do not think that Jon is Ho Hum about anything. I think that maybe he thinks that sharing his life in this atmosphere is not the correct outlet.

12. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(sullivanre @ May 26 2009, 02:29 PM) [snapback]1328512[/snapback]
    I've been a sporadic viewer over the years. It seemed like Jon and Kate weren't even on the same page about where their relationship stood.

Although I'd be lying if I didn't say that I have it in the back of my mind that the whole thing might be a publicity stunt.

what could the benefit be for them to claim they are having marital issues and on tape for the world/ their children to watch over and over again.

Yes i am now watching the show because of the publicity over it but that is not getting them any more money

13. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ May 26 2009, 03:00 PM) [snapback]1328563[/snapback]
    what could the benefit be for them to claim they are having marital issues and on tape for the world/ their children to watch over and over again.

Yes i am now watching the show because of the publicity over it but that is not getting them any more money

By no means am I certain that they are doing that, but the attention can really help then sell their book and get better ratings for the show. Many celebrities manufacture controversies, relationships etc. right before albums, movies, and so on are released.

14. twin_trip_mommy

well that would be really sad. and I would be mad (at myself a lot) for falling for the fake drama.

And Chrissy I wonder if he (Jon) also may not want to do the show (of if he ever wanted to do it) because he feels that it is a contributor to his failing marriage

15. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(2boysforus @ May 26 2009, 02:41 PM) [snapback]1328526[/snapback]
    I watched it and was so sad. I can't stop thinking about it, actually. I feel terrible for those kiddos and cannot imagine dealing with the situation they are facing.

Same here Melissa. I just watched it, I'm very sad for them.

16. ehm

ehm Banned

If advertising for TV is anything like radio then this statement would be incorrect. The cost of advertising is based on audience. The more audience the more an advertiser can charge for their commercial. In other words one identical commercial can be billed at many different costs depending on the audience of the programming the commercial airs during. You watching the show would increase the audience therefore TLC can charge more for that block of advertising which puts more money directly into their pockets.

17. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

OMG! I didnt even hear anything about infidelity in their marriage. I havent had cable for a while though, and I only catch an old episode once in a while. I just watched one the other day, when they were getting settled into their new HUGE house.

I will DEFINITELY have to try to keep up now. . .although Ive always been a fan of the show.

Ive always thought that she talked down to him, and that he was unhappy with the way she talked. He has only stood up for himself or made a smart remark to her first a handful of times that Ive seen, and she is NOT nice to him most of the time.

18. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(ehm @ May 26 2009, 04:28 PM) [snapback]1328684[/snapback]
    If advertising for TV is anything like radio then this statement would be incorrect. The cost of advertising is based on audience. The more audience the more an advertiser can charge for their commercial. In other words one identical commercial can be billed at many different costs depending on the audience of the programming the commercial airs during. You watching the show would increase the audience therefore TLC can charge more for that block of advertising which puts more money directly into their pockets.

:huh:

well hopefully because I am not going to be watching the show at air time (only will be watching DVRd shows) my viewing will not be counted. and :p because I only watch DVRd shows I FWD through all commercials :D

that :p is to the TV not anyone here :)

19. markl

markl Active Member

What does everyone think of Kate's comment that parents of multiples have a three times higher divorce rate?

I personally do not know any multiple parents who are seperated....

20. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 26 2009, 01:09 PM) [snapback]1328474[/snapback]
    I just finished watching it and it was so sad! I was really surprised with Jon's "ho hum" attitude and very surprised that I felt so much sympathy for Kate.

I'm with you on this one Meg. His attitude may have stemmed from his lack of enthusiasm to continue the show, but I'd like to think that if it were me sitting in the middle of those accusations, I'd be more enthusiastic about proving them wrong. I'm sure he's just tired of it all. I did feel really badly for her when she broke down. Yes, she's a drill sargeant, but she had 6 kids at once and has managed to provide structure and love for all 8 of her children as best we can tell.

QUOTE(MarkL @ May 26 2009, 07:08 PM) [snapback]1328942[/snapback]
    What does everyone think of Kate's comment that parents of multiples have a three times higher divorce rate?

I personally do not know any multiple parents who are seperated....

I do. Actually, there seems to be a run of single moms in the expecting and 1st year forums.

21. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinsInFL @ May 27 2009, 12:23 AM) [snapback]1328965[/snapback]
    Yes, she's a drill sargeant, but she had 6 kids at once and has managed to provide structure and love for all 8 of her children as best we can tell.

I completely agree with this! And this is why, while I agree she's not always nice, I don't dislike her. I have no idea what it's like to walk a mile in her shoes.

22. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Again he cut himself down "I can't write... talk... some say I can't even breath right"

Kate has told him in the past in their confessional time that he breaths too loud.

Mark L, you are in the area, do you have any local insider poop?

I didn't watch the show and don't intend to watch at all this season. I read recaps on both fan and non-fan blogs. Some of my co-workers were talking about it and ones who were fans are starting to turn away because after watching the marathon they saw the changes.

23. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 26 2009, 01:09 PM) [snapback]1328474[/snapback]
    I just finished watching it and it was so sad! I was really surprised with Jon's "ho hum" attitude and very surprised that I felt so much sympathy for Kate. I cried when one of the girls told her Dad she didn't want him leaving any more. :( I am glad that TLC made it so "real" and didn't pretend that everything was okay. Very smart on TLC's part.

I just got through watching it myself, and I thought they were both frigid when they spoke about their relationship. God only knows what goes on behind closed doors. Speaking specifically about Jon's attitude, from the past shows that I have seen, he normally doesn't have that type of attitude, so it seems he is definitely done with the relationship. They are very much wanting the kids to be fine, but neither indicated that they were there for each other and that they had any intention of working things out. I find it all incredibly sad. But then again, I find it sad that they didn't stop the taping of the shows as soon as the first rumors of trouble began circulating. I would think that when the first rumors began, preservation of family, regardless of validity of rumors, would be more important than the money that the show was making. It was obvious that those rumors were causing a ton of stress and it just seems that taping should have been stopped for the health of the family, but that's just my opinion. It's alot easier making those observations from the outside looking in I suppose.

24. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

i watched it last night too. very sad. they definitely look very apart physcially and emotionally. they did not even act like a couple at the party. never said anything about their marriage - just that they will do everything for the kids. i too cannot fathom raising 8 kids those ages,but kate's attitude has always bugged me and how jon just takes her disrespectful snipes with no response. maybe he does not want to address it on tv too. i too believe if they were having marriage probs they should cancel tv and take time for THEM. and if she never called them paparazzi the kids would not either. just sad all around :mellow:

25. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

Kind of off-topic but I'm an SMC (Single Mother by Choice) and I will hazard a guess that a lot of the single moms in expecting and first year are too. Because SMCs mostly use ART to get pregnant, the chances of multiples are higher. It might just be that they are SMCs rather than women going through divorce/separation.

And I'm certainly watching J&K+8. I'm morbidly interested in their drama but also loooove hearing the little boys talk and think about my guys at that age. I really think they are so cute.

26. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

After seeing this thread yesterday, I went to the TLC website and tried to watch the premier, but it didnt give me the whole episode, just snippets. I also found a couple other stories about the Gosselin's and one showed a picture of Jon with the female (he was supposedly cheating with I guess) in a car. The womans brother also did an interview and talked about Jon coming to his house, etc.
    That is saddening. Although she talks down to him, I didnt think he would ever stray outside of their marriage. I still dont know what all of the accusations/rumors are, but I hope they are able to work things out.

27. twin_trip_mommy

I was just watching the show again and it is at the party time. Jon asked why the other bounce house was not being used and Kate just ignored him and brushed the crumbs off her hands and said she was cold then shouted to someone about needing a coat. She then walked past him not even looking at him.

I have to say I have almost no sympathy for her. She is a cold woman and had almost no interaction/conversation with any of the children beyond what was going on for the show. The only emotion she showed was when she broke down during the interview. He at least talked to the children and showed some emotion and tried to talk to her. NOT that I think she is all to blame or thing it is okay to cheat physically or emotionally but I can see why his love for her might be failing. If her childs personality (the one who sat for 1 pic only) is a mirror of Mom or Dad then I can see why they are having issues in the marriage.

I do hope they try to work it out but both are going to have to try.

28. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the episode.

Kate said a few telling things. The first one was how her focus has been and always will be the kids. They come first and she does everything for them. If maybe she and Jon had decided to make their focus their relationship instead of the children, they might be in a better place. Of course our kids should be one of our highest priorities, but I believe our relationship with our spouse should come first.

The second thing she mentioned was the divorce rate among parents of multiples and how it is so high. Yes, that is true. However, being a parent of multiples and the normal stress that arises are not the reason they are struggling. It is so much more convoluted than that. To make it seem that is one of the main reasons seems a bit naive to me.

Jon made the choice to live this way too. Kate was not the only one that chose a life with cameras in their face, choosing to make a ton of money off the cuteness of their children, and certainly didn't seem to mind the lavish trips and new multi million dollar home. He needs to accept that this is his choice and he needs to make the best of it.

Kate made it clear that there is no turning back. "News Flash" is what she said about Jon. Why not? If giving up the fame, the money and the TV show will help save your marriage, why would you not end it? She made her priorities quite clear.

29. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ May 26 2009, 01:38 PM) [snapback]1328524[/snapback]
    I tried that it's just a 30 second preview. Oh well. :(
    I'm probably the only person in the US that doesn't get TLC!

I think you can watch episodes on TLC's website. I've watched them there before.

30. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

TLC is rerunning the episode too. It was on at 8:00 and 11:00 Eastern time yesterday, and I'm sure it will be on again this week.

31. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ May 27 2009, 11:46 AM) [snapback]1330015[/snapback]
    I was just watching the show again and it is at the party time. Jon asked why the other bounce house was not being used and Kate just ignored him and brushed the crumbs off her hands and said she was cold then shouted to someone about needing a coat. She then walked past him not even looking at him.

I have to say I have almost no sympathy for her. She is a cold woman and had almost no interaction/conversation with any of the children beyond what was going on for the show. The only emotion she showed was when she broke down during the interview. He at least talked to the children and showed some emotion and tried to talk to her. NOT that I think she is all to blame or thing it is okay to cheat physically or emotionally but I can see why his love for her might be failing. If her childs personality (the one who sat for 1 pic only) is a mirror of Mom or Dad then I can see why they are having issues in the marriage.

I do hope they try to work it out but both are going to have to try.

i have to say, if my husband cheated on me (which, frankly, i think did happen, despite Jon's denial), and we had to be at an event together, i think the only way i could get through the day without being an out & out ***** would be to ignore him.

QUOTE(Cristina @ May 27 2009, 01:23 PM) [snapback]1330195[/snapback]

Kate said a few telling things. The first one was how her focus has been and always will be the kids. They come first and she does everything for them. If maybe she and Jon had decided to make their focus their relationship instead of the children, they might be in a better place. Of course our kids should be one of our highest priorities, but I believe our relationship with our spouse should come first.

The second thing she mentioned was the divorce rate among parents of multiples and how it is so high. Yes, that is true. However, being a parent of multiples and the normal stress that arises are not the reason they are struggling. It is so much more convoluted than that. To make it seem that is one of the main reasons seems a bit naive to me.

i don't think she's saying that's why they're struggling - i think she was just pointing out a statistic & saying that she thought her & Jon would beat the odds.

Jon made the choice to live this way too. Kate was not the only one that chose a life with cameras in their face, choosing to make a ton of money off the cuteness of their children, and certainly didn't seem to mind the lavish trips and new multi million dollar home. He needs to accept that this is his choice and he needs to make the best of it.

Kate made it clear that there is no turning back. "News Flash" is what she said about Jon. Why not? If giving up the fame, the money and the TV show will help save your marriage, why would you not end it? She made her priorities quite clear.

they could certainly give up the money & the tv show if they chose to, but you can't just turn off fame. from that perspectice, there's definitely no going back.

32. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(miss_bossy18 @ May 27 2009, 04:45 PM) [snapback]1330310[/snapback]
    i have to say, if my husband cheated on me (which, frankly, i think did happen, despite Jon's denial), and we had to be at an event together, i think the only way i could get through the day without being an out & out ***** would be to ignore him.

I agree, I think I would probably handle it the same way.

33. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(Cristina @ May 27 2009, 03:23 PM) [snapback]1330195[/snapback]

I think they both or at least one was naive about how their lives were going to change once the cameras got involved in their lives. I would guess that Jon possibly naive of fame and Kate pushed for the opportunity. I don't know what it is about her but to me it seems like she is in it for the fame even though she is now not liking al the negative attention. I wonder if she is a person that needs the cameras around to keep her going. Meaning is she as animated and vocal with her children when the cameras are off?

AS far as Jon cheating goes we do not know and I guess she does not know but she seems to have already made up her mind about working on fixing the problems (I know she said she has been trying for 6 months but her harsh and overbearing personality have to make it hard)

34. cupcake

cupcake Well-Known Member

My response on the other thread was pure sympathy. However thinking about it some more, yes, in a way they have done this to themselves. I think Kate showed true emotion on the season premiere but I do think her actions are becoming more selfish every day.

Things that bother me:

1) She stated that she could care less if her 2nd book made any money. And that she wrote it for her children. Ummm, wasn't the 1st book written for her children? And I honestly believe that it was written for them but the 2nd book, with mostly photos couldn't have been but only for monetary gain. That's fine, hey if there is an opportunity, then so be it. But don't tell the world that you don't care if a single copy gets sold or not. And if that is truly the case that you don't care, then don't keep promoting it with book signings and traveling away from your family!

2) She stated in an interview that she LOVES being in front of the camera and has found her nitch. On the other hand, she stated on her show, that she is doing this for her kids. In fact, she stated that she "owes it to the viewers to have them watch her kids grow up". Huh? She doesn't owe us anything. She should place her children first before us, don't you think?

She also reported that she would like TLC to pay for her house, but it ain't happening. Wow, such entitlement!

As far as her brother and Aunt Jody in the media urging viewers not to watch. I think that's crap! Why come out now? I mean, if they didn't have a problem with it when they were on the show but NOW do when Jon & Kate's fame is peaking.

To conclude, money doesn't buy happiness. When all is said and done and when the divorce finally has settled and they are richer than most and their kids have a skewed outlook on life without many friends. One must ask in the end, was it all worth it? Perhaps not. Kate will stop at no end to continue doing the show, despite Jon's dismay and despite ruining their marriage in the process.

35. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Am I the only one, or did it seem like Kate was kind of enjoying the paparazzi? She kept pointing them out, like "Oooh look, I'm so important that I have paparazzi following me!" And does she have to have the "celebrity" look to go to Party City? Most normal people go in a t-shirt and jeans, not all done up. I'm sure that attracts even more attention, not to mention the perfectly matched kids.
    I did leave that episode just feeling bad for all them.