Jon & Kate + 8

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 26, 2009.

1. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(miss_bossy18 @ May 27 2009, 03:45 PM) [snapback]1330310[/snapback]
    they could certainly give up the money & the tv show if they chose to, but you can't just turn off fame. from that perspectice, there's definitely no going back.

Sure you can, stop doing the show and she'd be yesterday's news in no time.

I can understand the tempatation to keep something going since it's now their sole livlihood. I would still end it, no matter how difficult life became. I can only hope she's socking away money for when this gig is inevitably up. (and I hope it's very soon.)

2. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I agree. And when she said something like "I don't know why they have to be following my family around with cameras? Why can't they go follow some other family/Mom?"

ummm maybe because she signed a contract to be on a TV show and have people follow her around with cameras and record her life.
    _________

Ya know how when our twins were younger and we got positive attention but then it got annoying after a while. I wonder if because she had this show the attention she got was positive (iho) for that much longer and no one really got the chance to say the rude things to her because she was "Kate from Jon & Kate +8". Now her children are growing out of that adorable baby/toddler stage and she is hearing the negative comments and now her DH is not wanting to be the stay at home Dad (my thoughts) she is starting to feel the reality of being famous. Just a thought

3. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Here are some more random thoughts:

I've seen just about all the episodes, so I feel like I know their personalities - (at least what they show you on tv anyway). Jon was always very passive, almost seemed annoyed being around the kids too much in the earlier days - didn't have the patience for it. If they both had personalities like his, I don't think the show would be very popular. He admitted on the show when he still had his 9-5 IT job that he knew he was lucky to get out of the house, he didn't know how Kate did it by herself. Which back then, I guess she probably had less paid help - maybe more volunteer help. So I think they had it very rough in the beginning, and I was happy for their success with the show. Otherwise, how could you survive and raise 8 kids on 1 income? I enjoyed watching it when everything seemed "real". I liked to see how she stayed organized, kept them disciplined, stayed on schedule...all the things that a mother of multiples could relate to and learn from.

But once they started getting freebie trip after trip, their kids getting all the perks at event after event, and then moving into their mansion, it wasn't relatable anymore. They can afford anything and everything, so them "raising" 8 kids is no longer impressive. Because it's not real, and not relatable to most mothers of multiples. I still watch it because I do like to see the kids and I'm just hooked. But I used to defend Kate and thought she was just misunderstood by the viewers that hated her. The more and more I'm reading though, I'm finding it hard to believe.

Like someone mentioned before, she's always done up now. Nice, dressy clothes, hair and make up all done, movie star sunglasses (Jon too), she's always tan. Big big difference from the early days. Guess you really can't hold this against her, but she does seem to enjoy living it up and getting the attention, even when she claims she doesn't. She certainly doesn't look the part of a mother taking care of 8 kids.

The whole entitlement thing - those kids get freebie after freebie and get star treatment everywhere they go. How could they not be spoiled and start to think they are entitled to things most kids wouldn't dream of? I know they keep saying they're doing this for the kids - and being able to send them off to college is great. But shaping their character in those 18 years leading up to college is important too. And I think some of those kids, especially Mady, will be forever affected by living her life in front of the camera.

Why they would continue with the show once all the rumors started coming out is beyond me. Not to mention they admitted to having problems as far back as 6 months ago, if not longer. Why keep up the sham on tv, when you're not happy? How do viewers feel now, knowing their happiness was fake? It seems they clearly had an out. If they were undecided about doing season 5, they must have been able to get out of contract at that point.

Why in the world would they take that free trip to Hawaii to renew their vows and pledge that they will be "together forever", if they were starting to have problems at that point? I think that was in Sept - so maybe the problems started a month or two later. But if you were so swept away in love just a month or two ago, I find that hard to believe. Why not just have a vacation in Hawaii, and not renew the vows? Not only is it disappointing to the viewers finding out how they really feel about each other after the fact, but think about the kids who were told over and over that their parents will always be together? And then they get divorced. How much is that going to mess them up?

I also didn't know what to think about Jon's brother and sister-in-law coming out like they did. But the more and more I'm hearing, I'm starting to believe it. And you never see Jon or Kate's parents or other family and friends on anymore (the parents never were). It was weird watching them renew their vows in front of strangers, practically. (They were Jon's family that lived in the area, but it sounded like he hadn't seen them in years, and he had to introduce Kate to most of them). It really seems they distanced themselves from everyone. What does that say about people who find fame more important than family?

I saw those pictures of Jon out at the bars. He looked so drunk. It's hard not believing the rumors when you see him in picture after picture, glossy-eyed and arm draped around girl after girl. And that sports car...seems like he's going through some mid-life crisis or something. It seems like he can't handle his wife having a career now and him being the SAHD and never being able to get away, which he did sort of mention in the Season 4 finale. But that's a little selfish too, because how rough did Kate have it those first few years? Isn't it her turn now? I don't know. I know she can be controlling and mean, but he's always seemed kind of selfish and jerkey to me too.

I think he wants out. I do believe he cheated and that's why Kate is so infuriated and could barely look at or talk to him. And Jon didn't seem to show any emotion at all. Seemed pretty hollow and empty. I think he has no feelings for her anymore and is done. Maybe that's why she wants the show to go on, because that's all she has now is her "career". And seeing how he seemed to not really care about her anymore, is another reason that makes me believe his brother and sister-in-law. Because they were really just Kate bashing, as if he did go and talk to them.

Very sad what fame does to people. I feel so bad for those kids.

And very very sad how much time I spent composing this!

4. cupcake

cupcake Well-Known Member

Ya know, how most people are feeling bad for those kids. In a way, yes but mostly no. I think they will turn out okay and persevere. Let's face it, they are well taken care of. Most kids don't even have what they have. They received numerous
    perks and special attention along the way. They got to go places and vacations and meet characters most kids haven't. They have had extravagant birthday parties. They are not being abused and are fed well, and dressed well. They go to pre-school when a lot of kids can't b/c it cost money. Heck, they probably have college funds already set. Instead of feeling sorry for those kids, I think about the kids who have abusive parents or even worse situations. I think they will adjust just fine. And as far as the multiple thing, think about the large multiples who might even be neglected b/c of lack of help or funds. How about the kids who have parents who have drug or alcohol problems or who can't even feed their kids. Those are the ones we should feel sorry for, not the Gosselins IMHO.

5. saraf0716

saraf0716 Active Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ May 26 2009, 01:22 PM) [snapback]1328407[/snapback]
    Anyone know of a website where I could watch it online? We don't get TLC. :(

I watched it on youtube.com. Just type in Jon & Kate plus 8 and there is every episode you can think of.

6. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2boysforus @ May 26 2009, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1328526[/snapback]
    I watched it and was so sad. I can't stop thinking about it, actually. I feel terrible for those kiddos and cannot imagine dealing with the situation they are facing.

This was me, too. I used to watch the show occasionally as a guilty pleasure - to see the adorable kids, feel sorry for Jon, and love to hate Kate. After this week's episode, I just plain felt sorry for the whole family. I also can't stop thinking about it and hoping they'll come out of it okay.

There was a psychologist on Larry King who commented on the episode, and it sounds like she hit it right on the head. She said that Kate has found her dream job (tv star, author, recipient of freebies and attention galore), but Jon does not share her dream. Jon wants out (not of the family, but of the show and the spotlight) and is depressed that his life is seemingly out of his own hands. He wants a career of his own, he doesn't want to do the show anymore, and he just wants to be your average working dad. Kate wants to continue with the show. How do they remedy that? It seems to me that if all 10 family members don't agree to continuing with the show, then they shouldn't continue. On the other hand, how can you deny Kate her dream job? It's just a very difficult position for all of them, and I hope they come to some resolution.

I agree that you can't completely undo the celebrity, but it won't take long for people to forget about them once the show ends. A few months of them not being on tv and nobody will care anymore. I think it's a cop out for Kate (and anyone else) to claim that this is just the way it is, and they can't undo it. The longer they let us all watch this, the less chance they have of fixing it and the sorrier I feel for the entire family. You know who I feel for the most is the twins, because they knew life before this craziness. The little kids have never known any different, and the parents chose it. The twins are just innocent victims. I guarantee you that all the free trips and experiences that they have gained would be given up in a minute in exchange for a 'normal' life with parents who aren't having marital troubles for all the world to see.

7. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

I have been watching the Gosselins for a long time, before they got J&K+8, and I'm sure you guys did, too - they had a couple specials on DHC called "Surviving Sextuplets and Twins." I watched in the summer of 2006 after the boys were released from NICU, caring for 2 newborns on my own, thinking, "If she could do it with twins AND THEN a set of 6, I can do twins." They were more of ordinary people caught in an extraordinary situation back then.

When they got the show, I was thrilled and watched every episode, and so I've begun to see things unravel over the last 2.5 years. I agree with the previous poster that there are certainly kids who are worse off, but I still feel terrible for the Gosselin kids. Whether or not this is a publicity stunt on Jon and Kate's part, the kids do know something's wrong. Mady and Cara becoming so much more helpful to Kate (to her pleasant surprise) is a pretty normal behavior for kids who know their family is in trouble. Alexis saying to Jon, "I don't want you to leave anymore"? I felt sick watching this episode, and I love to hate Kate. I'm not sure I can stomach it anymore. It's unconscionable that J&K are playing this out on national TV. END THE SHOW. TLC disgusts me.

The web site gosselinswithoutpity.blogspot.com goes so far as to list sponsors of the show, so people can avoid those products (the premise of the site is that the show needs to be stopped because it exploits the children).

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cupcake @ May 27 2009, 10:29 PM) [snapback]1330698[/snapback]
    Ya know, how most people are feeling bad for those kids. In a way, yes but mostly no. I think they will turn out okay and persevere. Let's face it, they are well taken care of. Most kids don't even have what they have. They received numerous
    perks and special attention along the way. They got to go places and vacations and meet characters most kids haven't. They have had extravagant birthday parties. They are not being abused and are fed well, and dressed well. They go to pre-school when a lot of kids can't b/c it cost money. Heck, they probably have college funds already set. Instead of feeling sorry for those kids, I think about the kids who have abusive parents or even worse situations. I think they will adjust just fine. And as far as the multiple thing, think about the large multiples who might even be neglected b/c of lack of help or funds. How about the kids who have parents who have drug or alcohol problems or who can't even feed their kids. Those are the ones we should feel sorry for, not the Gosselins IMHO.

Yes, but this is a "Jon & Kate + 8" thread, so we are discussing them and the kids, not the children of the world. Of course I feel MORE pity for impoverished children, abused children, but I also feel pity for the Gosselin kids. They are growing up in a dysfunctional fishbowl.

9. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I am not a regular viewer of the show, but did watch the season premier. Have the paparazzi always followed them or is it a recent thing? I have watched episodes here and there in the past and I don't remember them being hounded by the press. I was just curious.

10. JoyX2

JoyX2 Well-Known Member

I have no comment on the family or the show. I'm just ready for it to run it's course. but, does anybody else ever wonder if Kate ever posts on this site under a name that no one would recognize her by? I mean, after all, this is the hottest spot on the net for parents of multiples.

:pardon:

I know...who cares, right? Just curious I guess.

11. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I don't feel sorry for Jon or Kate at this point. At first, Jon mentioned in the earlier season that he thought it would be great to do a documentary on the children. However, what they did not know or you can say realized how successful their show was from Season 1-3. By Season 4, came around is it when their marriage started to fall apart. If you go back and watch all of the espides of their interview. Kate / Jon had separate interview. I remember when Kate sat down. She rubbed an empty seat where Jon sit and said, I like this better. And with Jon said he didn't know what to do anymore. You certainly could tell that he didn't want to do it anymore. And if you rememebred the last interview. Kate said, we'll see what happens whether they'll continue or not. By then with off-camera their marriage just went downhill.

At this point, I think Kate wanted to be the celebrity even she claimed that she is doing it for her children (go on w/Season 5). Secondly, it is too late after they brought that manison home, they don't have a choice of quitting altogether. Thirdly, I think they have a contract with TLC which probably PISSED Jon off that he had to be forced to sign again for one year?

Jon mentioned that he got his first twins, Mady and Cara at age 23, and then having the sextriplets at age 27. If you recall that Kate has sort of PUSH him for more children. He thought family of 4 was enough, but he gave up because he LOVED his wife and wanted to make her happy. Of course, Kate and Jon didn't plan on having 6 children as they opted not to aborted any children. If you remembered that?

I believed Jon has mixed feelings with trying to keep up with the show successful, more over that Kate has changed, and possibly of contract situation. I think I may believe that Jon did NOT have infidelity because he did mentioned that he didn't do it. He did admitted he was out late at night. I mean, come on, where does the father go if he wanted a break during the week night? Compared to us, we all know we love to shop, coffee break, or go out to dinner with the Moms. On his part, he cannot make 'outside' friends because he can't trust anyone after the show being so successful.

Did anyone ever see him kissed a women? I haven't seen a 'real' picture as they claimed to say that they saw him kissing another women. But if they have a photo of him out at night late.. If Kate is pissed off just because he wasn't allow to go out at night. I'd say she is selfish because she know that Jon doesn't match up to par to do any talk, write book, and etc.

I think TLC isn't letting them to take a break in-between with their contract. I surely hope this was not an ACT at all for this new Season 5. And no I didn't cried at all. I was more sad that the children had to deal with their parents. I was so much sadder when Alexis talk to her Daddy.

We won't know the whole truth unless someone actually printed a kissed picture of Jon with another woman. The woman had claimed that she did NOT have any serious relionship with Jon. She mentioned that she was over his house more often because he was IN need to talk to someone else beside his wife, Kate or his family.

There is so much more but we don't know all of it.
    RJ

12. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(KJS @ May 28 2009, 11:05 AM) [snapback]1331307[/snapback]
    Have the paparazzi always followed them or is it a recent thing? I have watched episodes here and there in the past and I don't remember them being hounded by the press. I was just curious.

The paps have only been around a few weeks, since Jon was caught in the car with "babe". The original picture of that was taken by a guy on a cellphone, after that then the paps showed up.

13. twin_trip_mommy

It is interesting reading the opinions of those who have watched the show from the start and reading what someone shared about what the therapist thought. I can totally see why s/he said that.

I honestly thing J & K should have limited the number of new shows they would do for the health of their family.

14. markl

markl Active Member

QUOTE(Kendra @ May 26 2009, 08:49 PM) [snapback]1329010[/snapback]
    Mark L, you are in the area, do you have any local insider poop?

I know that there are reporters all over town now. We live in the same town they originally did and honestly people are sick of the attention. There are some people talking but most are not. Most of the people who went to Jons high school have changed their profiles on face book because of being hounded by paparazzi. I just hope they don't come to the 4th of July parade this year with cameras in tow.

I also know my kids will get their braces from the same orthodontist and I hope the G crew is done by the time we go there.

15. bridgeport

QUOTE(MarkL @ May 28 2009, 05:22 PM) [snapback]1331978[/snapback]
    I know that there are reporters all over town now. We live in the same town they originally did and honestly people are sick of the attention. There are some people talking but most are not. Most of the people who went to Jons high school have changed their profiles on face book because of being hounded by paparazzi. I just hope they don't come to the 4th of July parade this year with cameras in tow.

I also know my kids will get their braces from the same orthodontist and I hope the G crew is done by the time we go there.

The fact that people who just happen to live in the same town that they used to live in are being negatively affected, can there seriously be any doubt that this is negatively affecting the family itself? If their honest primary concern is for the children, how can they possibly think it's a good idea to continue?

16. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I actually feel really sad for Kate here. I have a lot of sympathy for her. I only have twins and a job, and I don't know how I get through the day sometimes. She has 8 kids and is working. Sure she's militant and occasionally bitchy. So am I if I'm being honest! I can sympathize with her feelings that if something goes wrong they entire system is going to fall apart. I look at her kids, and I see happy, loved, healthy, well-mannered, relatively well-adjusted kids. She's clearly a great mom because that doesn't happen by accident.

I'm sympathetic with Jon too, but I kind of think he's having a crisis about the whole 8 kids thing as much as the fame. I know there I times I want a break from my life and DH wants a break from his, but I guarantee you neither of us would be out at a club with another person. He made a very bad decision, even if nothing happened, and by doing so he brought the crazy levels of paparazzi on himself. I also think it's unrealistic for him to think he's going to go back to being a normal working dad and be able to afford 8 kids on his salary. Leaving aside the house, who will pay to feed, clothe, etc. 8 kids? Who will pay for the giant van? The college educations? If the children seemed unhappy, that would be one thing, but they don't.

IDK, I haven't seen all the episodes since the beginning, but I kind of see Jon as having a mid-life crisis and being a bit of a baby here. I feel very sad for how Kate is being villified by the public.

17. Kendra

The show didn't address a lot of the other stuff. There are rumours about Kate cheating too. (with the grey haired bodyguard who has been around for more than a year, not the "hired for the book tour" that was claimed, he went to Utah with them, you can see him on the airplane)

Jon and Kate are listed as producers of the show so any suggestion of an objective documentary is gone. If they have a hand in the production and "storyline" then they aren't going to show themselves in a really bad light.

18. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(Mom to Jack and Anna @ May 29 2009, 09:23 AM) [snapback]1332511[/snapback]
    IDK, I haven't seen all the episodes since the beginning, but I kind of see Jon as having a mid-life crisis and being a bit of a baby here. I feel very sad for how Kate is being villified by the public.

Rachael, I agree.

19. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kendra @ May 29 2009, 09:29 AM) [snapback]1332516[/snapback]
    The show didn't address a lot of the other stuff. There are rumours about Kate cheating too. (with the grey haired bodyguard who has been around for more than a year, not the "hired for the book tour" that was claimed, he went to Utah with them, you can see him on the airplane)

Jon and Kate are listed as producers of the show so any suggestion of an objective documentary is gone. If they have a hand in the production and "storyline" then they aren't going to show themselves in a really bad light.

IDK. She seemed so hurt by the accusations (I thought they did address them, although they were vague in everything that they addressed), that I believed her. If she were that good of an actress or that much control over what was shown, she wouldn't come across so bitchy right? ;) Ultimately, though, nothing would excuse her having an affair either if in fact she were. And I don't know that Jon had an actual affair, but he certainly strayed at least mentally.

20. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mom to Jack and Anna @ May 29 2009, 09:34 AM) [snapback]1332521[/snapback]
    IDK. She seemed so hurt by the accusations (I thought they did address them, although they were vague in everything that they addressed), that I believed her. If she were that good of an actress or that much control over what was shown, she wouldn't come across so bitchy right? ;) Ultimately, though, nothing would excuse her having an affair either if in fact she were. And I don't know that Jon had an actual affair, but he certainly strayed at least mentally.

I agree with this, especially the bolded part. And it's another reason I don't believe this was done for ratings. Their body language was so uncomfortable, the reactions they had to some of the questioning was very telling and real, the way they could barely look or speak to each other (they talked as if the other wasn't sitting right there next to them "I can only speak for myself...I can't speak for <pause> anyone else"). They're not actors that could pull that off.

21. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

I sort of feel bad for Kate too. I feel so tied down right now with a 3 yr old and 1 yr old twins and working a full-time job. I'm so stressed when 1 kid gets sick, much less 2. I can't imagine how I would feel if I had 4 or 5 sick at the same time. We could travel, but it's a PITA and a lot of work. Imagine having 8 little ones. She probably felt so tied down those first years. I can see why she enjoys going on book tours, appearances, etc. She's getting out of the house and financially supporting her family. Nurses get a decent salary, but if she were to go back, she would be in a hospital doing shift work. Doing that, after having the type of "career" she's had for the past few years, would also negatively impact the family. She may be home, but she would have to sleep during the day to prepare for night shift.

They are just very stuck right now. I hope whatever they decide is done with love and respect for everyone involved.

22. bridgeport

QUOTE(Mom to Jack and Anna @ May 29 2009, 06:23 AM) [snapback]1332511[/snapback]
    I guarantee you neither of us would be out at a club with another person. He made a very bad decision, even if nothing happened, and by doing so he brought the crazy levels of paparazzi on himself.

See, now this is the real problem with the paparazzi - you can't ever be sure that what you're seeing is really the way they've spun it. I'm not necessarily trying to defend Jon, as I think he admitted that he acted inappropriately. However, I don't think I could ever judge a person's character by what the paparazzi managed to catch on camera, out of context.

Real life example: I went on a business trip last week, while my husband was home with the kids. Several of my co-workers were on the same trip, including one male co-worker. One of the sponsored events of the conference I was at was a wine tasting and then open bar reception. I had one glass of wine, plus a few tastes, but I'm a lightweight. So when my male co-worker offered to drive me back to the hotel (since he had not even one glass), I smartly took the offer. Knowing the facts in context, there was absolutely no way to construe anything inappropriate about any of this. BUT, if I were being followed by paparazzi, and they snapped me with a glass of wine, and then later getting out of my car at a hotel with a guy, who knows how that could be spun?

23. Kendra

The Penn Department of Labor is investivating the show now.
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20281956,00.html

There is also talk about the IRS. (if they have to declare the $25 000 speaking fees and the offerings taken at the speeches, if taxes are paid on the $20 pictures they sell)

24. twin_trip_mommy

[SIZE=14pt]Kate's Birthday Surprise[/SIZE]

What a fun show. I find it hard to believe Kate did not know this was going to happen but either way it was fun.

I like what she said "they looked like a rainbow vomited" They must have had a GREAT time. All I could think of were some of the twin Moms here who said in the thread in Parents club that they do not like messes. Okay, let's be brutally honest, What kind of parent are you?

It is still sad to see how they are not parenting together. Jon said at the start of the show that they usually plan for one to be home when the other is away. Sad part is they both seemed to be away for fun vacation things more than "work". I sort of understand Kate being away to promote the books but Jon going to ski and on Kate's birthday is VERY sad.

25. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Jun 2 2009, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1337774[/snapback]
    It is still sad to see how they are not parenting together. Jon said at the start of the show that they usually plan for one to be home when the other is away. Sad part is they both seemed to be away for fun vacation things more than "work". I sort of understand Kate being away to promote the books but Jon going to ski and on Kate's birthday is VERY sad.

I didn't catch the show - so Jon wasn't there for Kate's birthday party?

26. twin_trip_mommy

[SIZE=14pt]Sun, seashells and scrapes[/SIZE]

Maybe it's because I am watching the shows one after another but this show was nothing great. It was just showing them (a well to do family) doing stuff.

Seeing Alexis fall and need to go to the Dr made me sad but she (and daddy) dealt with it well.

Some other quotes of Kate's were
    "Oh the way an 8 year old eats :rolleyes: " that one was was a bit snide

I totally agree with what she said about stuffed animals "the most useless gift on the planet" but she also sounded snotty when she said that.

I did miss the last thing Kate said about what her daughter said after she asked "Is your love cup full?" My DVR cut off :unknw:

27. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Jun 2 2009, 11:15 AM) [snapback]1337789[/snapback]
    I didn't catch the show - so Jon wasn't there for Kate's birthday party?

He went skiing. I guess he went skiing a little while ago and this was a continuation of that trip. He learned about a program they had for disabled people. It was nice. I guess Jon's Father was a Dr who dedicated his life to operating on/helping disabled children/adults or something like that.

I don't know if he had any children with him this trip but the last one he did bring one or two children. Kate brought 1 with her on her trip to the beach. Can't remember where exactly she went

28. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I did miss the last thing Kate said about what her daughter said after she asked "Is your love cup full?" My DVR cut off

Mady's response was something along the lines that her love cup was overfilled. Kate responded by saying how much that meant to her.

29. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ Jun 2 2009, 08:37 AM) [snapback]1337822[/snapback]
    I don't know if he had any children with him this trip but the last one he did bring one or two children. Kate brought 1 with her on her trip to the beach. Can't remember where exactly she went

She took Mady to San Diego and they stayed at the Paradise Point Resort and Spa. We are actually going there in July.

30. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(NicoleT @ Jun 4 2009, 12:20 PM) [snapback]1341152[/snapback]
    She took Mady to San Diego and they stayed at the Paradise Point Resort and Spa. We are actually going there in July.

My SIL works at the Spa at Paradise Point and she saw them there.

31. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Jun 4 2009, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1341895[/snapback]
    My SIL works at the Spa at Paradise Point and she saw them there.

I remember you saying that she worked there in some other thread. This is one of our favorite hotels in San Diego to stay at as a family. The kids love it. :) Love the spa too!

32. Kendra

33. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kendra @ Jun 6 2009, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1344029[/snapback]
    Here is an interesting blog by a former neighbour and Christian author Walt Mueller (who happens to share a publisher with Kate)

http://learningmylines.blogspot.com/2009/0...e-too-late.html

That was quite interesting. I still say there's some value to reality TV if it can be used to change people's lives in a positive way (I'm thinking some episodes of ABC's Sunday Night Home Makover or some episodes of Amazing Race or some less popular programming on TLC). From the few episodes of J&K I've seen, this show has not really taken advantage of those opportunities.

If I'm ever given he chance to appear on TV in some kind of reality-show fashion, I'd have some ideas going in on what I would want the show to accomplish.

34. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jun 7 2009, 05:12 AM) [snapback]1344482[/snapback]
    I still say there's some value to reality TV if it can be used to change people's lives in a positive way (I'm thinking some episodes of ABC's Sunday Night Home Makover or some episodes of Amazing Race or some less popular programming on TLC).

I have to agree with the original philosophy behind those shows (and I'd throw Biggest Loser into that mix as well). However, these shows have evolved past their original intention of doing good and gone the way of the freak show as well. Is there not a difference between helping someone make their house livable again and doing a complete teardown and rebuilding them a house that is nowhere near their original home, making it lavishly luxurious, to the point where the family is unable to keep up with utilities on their new mini-mansion? Would it not be better to focus on repairing the house to a livable condition, and, in doing so, focusing on how to simplify the repairs, minimize expense, and make the home operate more efficiently in the process? This would be more reflective of the viewership's reality and really help the most people.

And what about Biggest Loser? The premise is great, but the 'reality' has changed. In their last season they looked for the biggest people they could find (the 'small' ones were in the upper 200s). Then, they extended the season so they could find new ways for their contestants to 'break records' (most weight lost while on campus is an easier task when you're twice the size of the original contestants and have twice as long to get it done). They stretch 30-minutes of weight-loss content into a two-hour show so they can pipe in and focus on as much synthesized drama as possible. Is this reality? No. People in real life struggle to loose weight without being boot camped away from every distraction in their real life with a personal trainer, controlled access to food options, and working out as though it were your full-time job. Biggest Loser would do well by society to slice out the ridiculous drama and focus on real out-of-shape people, working hard at home (maybe a week or two-week long intense training program at the ranch) and showing people how to make good choices, set yourself up for success in the real world.

BTW, Kendra, that was an interesting read. Can't say I was surprised by any of his disclosures, then again I've always seen the materialistic, self-centered side of Kate over the glorified "Christian" mom side.

35. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kendra @ Jun 6 2009, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1344029[/snapback]
    Here is an interesting blog by a former neighbour and Christian author Walt Mueller (who happens to share a publisher with Kate)

http://learningmylines.blogspot.com/2009/0...e-too-late.html

I think it was a good article... if only we could get everyone on board to stop watching it.... maybe it would make a difference!! They'd have to pull the plug and the family would have to work on fixing itself.

Yay, I'm going to stop watching.