Jon & Kate + 8

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 26, 2009.

1. melthoreson

melthoreson Well-Known Member

I have also watched the show from the start... but as I'm on bed rest now, the whole story surrounding them has become an obsession. I'm not proud of it, but it has given me something to focus on. :unsure: Here are some of my thoughts....

All reality TV is edited. Yes, Kate is a bit hard on Jon..and Jon is a bit passive. At some point that equation worked good for ratings and so I feel they have played it up...

Jon's on screen attitude changed the INSTANT he got caught by the paparazzi with that girl. In the Season 4 finale he was like a deer in head lights. I thought he had guilt written all over his face. It was after he got "caught" that he started hating the paparazzi... at least publically.

I question Kate's timing of her book tour, etc. She has been gone a lot and she was gone over Mother's Day and the kid's actual B-day. That seems weird.

Jon should find his own outlet outside the home. A job, volunteering...something.

I don't feel that they are exploiting their children...I think that the effects of the show on the adults could affect the kids in the long run...but not the actual taping of the kids. They have so many rules for taping now: Only a couple days a week...no taping in bedrooms, etc... I think they do guard their kid's privacy as needed...

I have to say I am mostly behind Kate on this one. I don't care who you are or what your personality is... when your wife is away it probably isn't a good idea to be riding around town with another woman... and be out drinking with her.

That's all for now... again...it's become a bed rest obsession... I can't help myself... Once the babies are here I probably won't think about it again for monthsQ!!!

2. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There is a site where a woman scans all the tabloid articles every week. I'll send you the link if you'd like Mel so you can feed the obsession.

Something that is noticable with the latest beach pictures is that every site and tabloid have the same pictures. It doesn't look like they are being followed, it looks like a single person taking the pictures. Some speculation is that its someone connected to the show taking the pictures and sending to the Spash photo agency.

3. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MellySue @ Jun 7 2009, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1344831[/snapback]
    I don't feel that they are exploiting their children...I think that the effects of the show on the adults could affect the kids in the long run...but not the actual taping of the kids. They have so many rules for taping now: Only a couple days a week...no taping in bedrooms, etc... I think they do guard their kid's privacy as needed...

I have to say I am mostly behind Kate on this one. I don't care who you are or what your personality is... when your wife is away it probably isn't a good idea to be riding around town with another woman... and be out drinking with her.

Hi, Mel! :Clap: Honestly, your approval of this family has really surprised me. Are you not able to see the ingratitude, the false pretense of Christian values to perpetuate their speaking engagements, grow followers, etc., to say nothing of the take-take-take-use-use-use that the family has become (perhaps they were so all along)?

I don't think this is even about a Jon-did-it, Kate's-been-wronged thing. For me, these are consequences of much more foundational issues of greed, entitled expectation, and self-centeredness. Of course the 'reality' of their family is not going to be portrayed honestly, that goes without saying for every television program...you see what will get the most viewership.

The kids are living in a fishbowl...how is that NOT harmful? They have no say in the matter. They aren't infants who have no clue what's going on anymore. Would you enjoy living your life on camera if your parents decided that was what was best for the family? What about the fact that their temper tantrums, girls emerging into the awkward years of puberty, etc. has not simply been captured on tape, but disseminated to the masses, and the internet is full of less-than-supportive commentary on their family (I myself have stated that I think Mady is a poster child for selective reduction). I guess for me, it's just like they sold their soul to the....but hey, it's all been free and now they have a great house, a flat tummy, hair plugs, countless family vacations, and plenty of money to pay for all the shrink bills their 8 kids will send to them. :drinks:

4. markl

markl Active Member

QUOTE(Kendra @ Jun 7 2009, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1344848[/snapback]
    There is a site where a woman scans all the tabloid articles every week. I'll send you the link if you'd like Mel so you can feed the obsession.

Something that is noticable with the latest beach pictures is that every site and tabloid have the same pictures. It doesn't look like they are being followed, it looks like a single person taking the pictures. Some speculation is that its someone connected to the show taking the pictures and sending to the Spash photo agency.

Trust me when I say they are being followed, and followed by a lot of people now. There are 'reporters' all over town. They are everywhere. In all the resturaunts. There is a local reporter here in Reading that has a blog. He actually wrote how the small town where they live has had a huge increase in traffic. He interviewed a police officer who said that they are on overtime responding to Kate's calls, and for traffic control from all the fans/reporters. All the gas station attendents are getting money under the table by calling the tabloids whenever they see the family so they are alerted. I guess it is good that they are helping the local economy at least. We will get a summer vacation from them though. Local rumor has it that they will be away for a month really soon for a trip to Europe.

This is really a train wreck waiting to happen. Sad really. The train is just gaining speed and going to go around the corner soon to find the bridge out over the river.... It is going to be a bad crash. Poor kids.

5. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

Does anybody find it sad that they are still willing to do this show even with the state of their relationship? I find it shocking that they would still keep it going... My dh said this afternoon "I sure hope they did some good financial planning"... I saw their 100th episode with Emeril, and I was having a hard time watching, with all of Kate's demeaning remarks about Jon... And when Emeril told her to leave Jon alone and let him mix something, and she hit him??? I am quickly losing respect for her... I don't know what to think about him... But I honestly feel so sad for the kids... They have no chance whatsoever to have a normal future...

6. Kendra

The Emeril show was filmed March 11 (Emeril "tweeted" about it on the day) It was before the end of season 4 aired and before the news of Jon's relationship broke.

The next show will be with the OCC family. The father was interviewed some where and the bike Jon ordered is worth $125 000. Wonder who is paying.

7. daasmommy

daasmommy Well-Known Member

If you get a chance what the American Chopper show where the designing of the bike is discussed. There was a lot of intereaction (by tv's standards) between the Tuttles and the kids.

The Tuttles (the OCC guys) take a few hits at all that is going on with Jon and Kate. (Mikey took Kate to a salon for a pedicure because she has just been so busy with every thing and has had no time to herself. Well while soaking one of the girls from the salon asked Mikey if he wanted anything to read and he said sure do you have any US weekly Kate cracked up)(US weekly is the tabloid that keeps featuring them on the cover)

8. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(daasmommy @ Jun 12 2009, 01:40 PM) [snapback]1352071[/snapback]
    If you get a chance what the American Chopper show where the designing of the bike is discussed. There was a lot of intereaction (by tv's standards) between the Tuttles and the kids.

The Tuttles (the OCC guys) take a few hits at all that is going on with Jon and Kate. (Mikey took Kate to a salon for a pedicure because she has just been so busy with every thing and has had no time to herself. Well while soaking one of the girls from the salon asked Mikey if he wanted anything to read and he said sure do you have any US weekly Kate cracked up)(US weekly is the tabloid that keeps featuring them on the cover)

Did any of you by chance catch what Kate said when Jon took his new bike for a ride? He was going down the driveway one of the guys asked if they should let him go and to open the gate. Kate responded with "yes, please just let him go".

It just amazes me the amount of money they get per episode. It's reported between $50,000-75,000. True, they most likely did not get that in the beginning, but if you add everything else they've done (speaking engagments, book deals & free trips) I bet they have made at least a couple million so far. No wonder Kate wants to keep doing the show. If they were to stop, she'd most likely have to go back to being a nurse.

9. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kendra @ Jun 12 2009, 03:13 AM) [snapback]1351421[/snapback]
    The father was interviewed some where and the bike Jon ordered is worth $125 000. Wonder who is paying.

WE ARE, little by little, every time we watch the show.

10. Kendra

Wonder how their college funds are.

11. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/06/18/jon-k...n-mondays-show/

This preview says they will make an announcement on Mondays show. I read that their rating have dropped significantly so this add is going to pull some people back in. Also witht he recent photos of Kate spanking her daughter I am sure they have some major damage control.

I hope the announcement is they are going to stop the show.

12. Kendra

I'm thinking the announcement will be nothing and its just a ploy to bring in viewers. It worked for the first show.

I was going to mention the recently spanking pictures but that would be quite a can of worms there.... (see In Touch this week for pictures)

13. GirliesGalore

GirliesGalore Well-Known Member

I also hope the announcement is that they're quitting the show. I highly doubt that's what it is, though. I bet it's more along the lines of "We're officially separating, blah, blah, blah." I've been watching it for a while, but it's just too sad and is no longer about what first attracted me to the show. Plus, I hate to be watching a show, that has in some ways contributed to the crumbling of a family.

14. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

It really saddens me how the show has taken such an ugly turn. I really DID enjoy watching the kids growing up. They are the same age as my twins and I looked forward to watching them hit milestones and laughing at the same things I laughed about with my own 2. The kids are what kept me watching. I hope the family can recover .. but I doubt they will give it up .. at least not completely. They've (the parents) have gotten used to a certain lifestyle and its hard to go back. I just wish the best for those precious children.

15. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

So is there nowhere left to go for those of us that are still fans of the show to discuss it? :unsure:

16. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 19 2009, 12:37 AM) [snapback]1360043[/snapback]
    So is there nowhere left to go for those of us that are still fans of the show to discuss it? :unsure:

:hug: I'm still a fan too.

17. Chrissy Nelson

I have to say they are an interesting family. But I really hope they say enough is enough. It is obviously getting to be too much for them and the children.

18. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 18 2009, 06:37 PM) [snapback]1360043[/snapback]

I would just pass over the posts that aren't other fans and pretend you don't see them. Continue to discuss it! :hug: Sorry it's a bummer for you!

19. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 19 2009, 12:37 AM) [snapback]1360043[/snapback]

QUOTE(Moodyzblu @ Jun 19 2009, 01:14 AM) [snapback]1360089[/snapback]
    :hug: I'm still a fan too.

Honestly, what are you a fan of about the the show? I'm just curious b.c I dont understand.

20. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Jun 19 2009, 07:15 AM) [snapback]1360567[/snapback]
    Honestly, what are you a fan of about the the show? I'm just curious b.c I dont understand.

Some people just like to see what's going on with them. Why would you post in a thread about a show that you don't?

21. JoyX2

JoyX2 Well-Known Member

Well, in a nutshell, the 'big announcement' can essentially only be one of these 4 things:

1. Divorce
    2. Cancelling the show
    3. Getting back together/rekindling the marriage (highly doubtful)
    4. Or, Kate's pregnant

Ok, I threw #4 in for sh*ts & giggles...but, with these people ya never know.

22. OneBoyOneGirl

QUOTE(dfaut @ Jun 19 2009, 01:18 PM) [snapback]1360568[/snapback]
    Some people just like to see what's going on with them. Why would you post in a thread about a show that you don't?

That I dont what? I dont understand how people how still "fans" frankly. I thought people mostly watched for the train wreck factor. It amazes me that people would still admire Kate or watch her b.c they want tips on how to raise multiples or anything like that.

23. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I saw the article about their 'announcement'. . but I wasnt clear as to whether the show was just going to be longer than usual, or is it starting earlier or what?

Ive always been a fan of the show. It is just interesting to watch someone elses 'real' life. . and the fact that they have twice as many kids as I do, and they are pretty well behaved and they are able to do activities successfully, and all that. . . I like it. Im sorry the show has caused damage to their family, and I wouldnt blame them at all if they stopped the show, but I doubt its going to happen. As long as it is on, I will still be interested in watching. I guess Im just nosey. . and for some reason drama attracts people as well.

24. MichelleL

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Jun 19 2009, 09:15 AM) [snapback]1360567[/snapback]

I like the show. That's all.

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Jun 19 2009, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1360580[/snapback]
    That I dont what? I dont understand how people how still "fans" frankly. I thought people mostly watched for the train wreck factor. It amazes me that people would still admire Kate or watch her b.c they want tips on how to raise multiples or anything like that.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. :pardon:

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Jun 19 2009, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1360580[/snapback]

I hope you aren't referring to me, because I never said anything like that. I am a fan of the show. Period.

There is a lot of naysaying in this thread and every other J&K thread out there. It would just be nice to have a place to go to discuss what happened on the show, like we used to do. It's sad that even the threads started with the best of intents get an onslaught of negativity from many people. I'm not saying I agree with everything that has allegedly happened behind the scenes (because really, who knows the truth?) but I will continue to watch the show.

25. MichelleL

QUOTE(2plusbgtwins @ Jun 19 2009, 09:28 AM) [snapback]1360584[/snapback]
    I saw the article about their 'announcement'. . but I wasnt clear as to whether the show was just going to be longer than usual, or is it starting earlier or what?

Ive always been a fan of the show. It is just interesting to watch someone elses 'real' life. . and the fact that they have twice as many kids as I do, and they are pretty well behaved and they are able to do activities successfully, and all that. . . I like it. Im sorry the show has caused damage to their family, and I wouldnt blame them at all if they stopped the show, but I doubt its going to happen. As long as it is on, I will still be interested in watching. I guess Im just nosey. . and for some reason drama attracts people as well.

:clapping: Well said, and good to see I'm not the only one. :good:

26. Kendra

I suppose if nothing else was known beyond the half hour weekly show then it would be fun to watch but that half hour doesn't exsist on its own. Its not a half hour slice of life being filmed, its whole days.

Jon and Kate can screw up their lives all they want but they need to remember the most importaint people there.

Its real kids in real life, not actors and actresses. They aren't living their real lives, they are living a tv show.

27. GirliesGalore

GirliesGalore Well-Known Member

Whatever the announcement is, I hope it's the best thing for the kids. Now for the long wait until Monday night...

28. OneBoyOneGirl

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 19 2009, 01:31 PM) [snapback]1360587[/snapback]
    I like the show. That's all.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. :pardon:
    I hope you aren't referring to me, because I never said anything like that. I am a fan of the show. Period.
    There is a lot of naysaying in this thread and every other J&K thread out there. It would just be nice to have a place to go to discuss what happened on the show, like we used to do. It's sad that even the threads started with the best of intents get an onslaught of negativity from many people. I'm not saying I agree with everything that has allegedly happened behind the scenes (because really, who knows the truth?) but I will continue to watch the show.

No, you didnt say that. But I maybe b.c I dont watch really watch reality shows I dont understand what your talking about when say you are a fan. Besides, what is going on in J&K household isnt reality anymore. You know that, it used be but its not anymore...it is a " scripted-reality" and thats easy to see. I mean, the kids are cute...I like the kids. I feel sorry for them. But a fan of Kate? NEVER. You also may not find anyone being able to talk about whats going on in the shows anymore without it being a hatefest b.c the shows are so outrageous! I was reading my favorite Gosselin blog *thanks Kendra!* and the last show was the American Chopper guys giving Jon a $125,000 bike!! Its all such a money grab now that its sickening that people are forgetting that the kids are the ones being parading around for all the crap!

29. MichelleL

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Jun 19 2009, 11:01 AM) [snapback]1360680[/snapback]
    No, you didnt say that. But I maybe b.c I dont watch really watch reality shows I dont understand what your talking about when say you are a fan. Besides, what is going on in J&K household isnt reality anymore. You know that, it used be but its not anymore...it is a " scripted-reality" and thats easy to see. I mean, the kids are cute...I like the kids. I feel sorry for them. But a fan of Kate? NEVER. You also may not find anyone being able to talk about whats going on in the shows anymore without it being a hatefest b.c the shows are so outrageous! I was reading my favorite Gosselin blog *thanks Kendra!* and the last show was the American Chopper guys giving Jon a $125,000 bike!! Its all such a money grab now that its sickening that people are forgetting that the kids are the ones being parading around for all the crap!

It's funny that you have such a strong opinion about a show that you don't watch. But whatever. It's your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to.

But on the same note, I have my opinion. And that is, not to believe everything that is out there on the WWW, in the printed tabloids, and on the tabloid TV shows. Some may be true, sure, but where is it separated? I'm not asking this question looking for an answer, I'm simply thinking out loud.

30. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I don't watch the show a lot, but I do watch it occasionally and I enjoy it. I actually do like Kate. I feel very bad for her for all the negativity that is launched her way. It's always been there, but it's like people feel vindicated now so it is just so much worse. They woman raises 8 kids - all of whom appear happy, healthy, well-mannered, and generally well-adjusted. That's not an accident - it requires solid parenting. I don't want to be her BFF or anything, but I don't understand why people hate her so much.

31. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jun 7 2009, 10:18 AM) [snapback]1344645[/snapback]
    And what about Biggest Loser? The premise is great, but the 'reality' has changed. In their last season they looked for the biggest people they could find (the 'small' ones were in the upper 200s). Then, they extended the season so they could find new ways for their contestants to 'break records' (most weight lost while on campus is an easier task when you're twice the size of the original contestants and have twice as long to get it done). They stretch 30-minutes of weight-loss content into a two-hour show so they can pipe in and focus on as much synthesized drama as possible. Is this reality? No. People in real life struggle to loose weight without being boot camped away from every distraction in their real life with a personal trainer, controlled access to food options, and working out as though it were your full-time job. Biggest Loser would do well by society to slice out the ridiculous drama and focus on real out-of-shape people, working hard at home (maybe a week or two-week long intense training program at the ranch) and showing people how to make good choices, set yourself up for success in the real world.

I have a lot of the same complaints about the editing and length of the Biggest Loser, but in its defense, I think it does motivate people to lose weight. Seeing a man who started at 450 and could barely walk complete a marathon was really inspirational to me and caused me to start my own serious exercise program with a goal of running a 1/2 marathon. Nothing wrong with that!

32. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Well if you want to believe Radaronline, Jon & Kate will be announcing their divorce on Monday's show:

Jon & Kate to Divorce

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if they are right.

33. MichelleL

QUOTE(Mom to Jack and Anna @ Jun 19 2009, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1360886[/snapback]
    I don't watch the show a lot, but I do watch it occasionally and I enjoy it. I actually do like Kate. I feel very bad for her for all the negativity that is launched her way. It's always been there, but it's like people feel vindicated now so it is just so much worse. They woman raises 8 kids - all of whom appear happy, healthy, well-mannered, and generally well-adjusted. That's not an accident - it requires solid parenting. I don't want to be her BFF or anything, but I don't understand why people hate her so much.

Thanks Rachael. It's nice to have a voice from the other side with me. :good:

34. Chrissy Nelson

35. leokon

leokon Active Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ May 26 2009, 02:38 PM) [snapback]1328524[/snapback]
    I tried that it's just a 30 second preview. Oh well. :(
    I'm probably the only person in the US that doesn't get TLC!

I am sure somebody suggested this to you by now, I have not read all the pages of this topic. Just in case, you can try youtube. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...e+plus+8+season