Jon & Kate + 8

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 26, 2009.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

DH commented that if they keep the show going they're going to have to call it Jon/Kate Plus 8. :rolleyes: although, he has a point.

ETA: missing word

2. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Michelle, I tried to defend Kate a little in the other thread. That one was a real pile on. I'm like Rachael, I don't think she's gonna win Miss Congeniality, but some of the comments about her are way over the top.

3. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I've never followed Jon & Kate -- never cared much, really -- and I've only seen a couple shows. Never had much opinion on them either way. But then, I saw this just a couple days ago:

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2009/06/mother-of-the-year/

ETA -- sorry if this has been brought up before, didn't get a chance to read through the whole thread.

4. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I used to be a fan of J&K + 8 but because of all the drama stopped watching. I'm not surprised to see everything unfold the way it is but I was really hoping they'd pull through. I'm not the biggest Kate fan but I do think she's very misunderstood and publicly exaggerated. I wish EVERYONE, fan or foe, would just leave well enough alone. Jon and Kate have had a large hand in destroying their own marriage, but I also think all you nay sayers have a percentage in it too. Personally, I think they need to stop the show, focus on their family and get marriage counseling but it's none of my business and it isn't anyone else's either. I find it very sad that people don't have enough going on in their own life to keep them busy they feel the need to publicly slander and belittle someone they don't even know. Come on people lets live our own lives!

When it comes to the money and gifts I think it comes down to plain old jealously, nothing like being green with envy to get the claws out. One thing we all need to remember is that shows like American Chopper and both cosmetic doctors contacted them. It gets them publicity and in return more revenue......it just good business. Same goes for every company, hotel, resort, and amusement park they've attended, everyone wants to cash in.

I'm personally sick and tired of turning on the TV/internet and hearing nothing but hostile, over the top accusations and opinions on people they don't even know. It's very sad that this thread has turned into nothing but a hate thread, if you don't like the show then maybe you need to stay out of a thread dedicated to talking about it's episodes. There's plethora of places you all can go commiserate or spread your hate, but leave one place for the fans. It's getting ridiculous!

5. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

The only point I will defend Kate on is the attacks for her being away from her kids all the time. I can appreciate the negativity and the hypocrisy of demonstrating a show where she claims to do it all with 'no help' (organic, organic, organic). However, to slam her for supporting her family is out-right sexist. If it was Jon who was out doing that (or in any other business capacity earning money to support the family) no one would mention it. The fact that she's the woman (and therefore supposed to be the one caring for the kids) is why she gets crapped on about it. And that's sexist.

I don't agree with their choices to live their life this way, I think they are flat-out hypocrits with their faux-Christian values sprinkled in for ratings, followers, and speaking engagements. But someone has to support that family (Jon isn't doing much in that department). She's taken it way too far, IMO, but that's her right. She's certainly manufactured a living for her family, even if she's prostituted them in the process. To take her out for being away from the kids (isn't that better than dragging them everywhere with her?) is patriarchal BS.

6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jun 20 2009, 12:07 AM) [snapback]1361565[/snapback]
    The only point I will defend Kate on is the attacks for her being away from her kids all the time. I can appreciate the negativity and the hypocrisy of demonstrating a show where she claims to do it all with 'no help' (organic, organic, organic). However, to slam her for supporting her family is out-right sexist. If it was Jon who was out doing that (or in any other business capacity earning money to support the family) no one would mention it. The fact that she's the woman (and therefore supposed to be the one caring for the kids) is why she gets crapped on about it. And that's sexist.

I don't agree with their choices to live their life this way, I think they are flat-out hypocrits with their faux-Christian values sprinkled in for ratings, followers, and speaking engagements. But someone has to support that family (Jon isn't doing much in that department). She's taken it way too far, IMO, but that's her right. She's certainly manufactured a living for her family, even if she's prostituted them in the process. To take her out for being away from the kids (isn't that better than dragging them everywhere with her?) is patriarchal BS.

I agree with that, for sure.

7. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Jun 19 2009, 08:27 PM) [snapback]1361543[/snapback]
    I've never followed Jon & Kate -- never cared much, really -- and I've only seen a couple shows. Never had much opinion on them either way. But then, I saw this just a couple days ago:

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2009/06/mother-of-the-year/

ETA -- sorry if this has been brought up before, didn't get a chance to read through the whole thread.

Oh my....I do wonder what led to that situation. Mady is quite the drama queen - but the denial of water seems unnecessary. And it did seem at the end of the clip she was going to give her water, but they were going live.

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jun 19 2009, 09:07 PM) [snapback]1361565[/snapback]

Yes, excellent point. Unfortunately they are somewhat a victim of their own images. I think Kate would be the first admit she isn't the warmest, fuzziest person - and from the first special I saw, she ran a tight ship. And Jon always came off as more of the nuturer. I think because Jon is less present, her "practical side" seems very cold.

8. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I saw the previews for Mondays show, but I can't find it on my guide as playing tonight. Anyone know what time it's supposed to be on for the west coast?

9. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(naomi02 @ Jun 22 2009, 10:56 AM) [snapback]1363779[/snapback]
    I saw the previews for Mondays show, but I can't find it on my guide as playing tonight. Anyone know what time it's supposed to be on for the west coast?

Im not sure. Im prettu sure it usually comes on here on the East Coast at 9pm. . .I was confused as to whether they were starting early or running longer due to the announcement. Im about to check the TLC website and see if theres any info there.

ETA: I checked and it says tonight at 9pm and 11pm for the newest episode. So, would you be watching at 6pm?

10. miss_bossy18

QUOTE(2plusbgtwins @ Jun 22 2009, 10:19 AM) [snapback]1363909[/snapback]
    Im not sure. Im prettu sure it usually comes on here on the East Coast at 9pm. . .I was confused as to whether they were starting early or running longer due to the announcement. Im about to check the TLC website and see if theres any info there.

ETA: I checked and it says tonight at 9pm and 11pm for the newest episode. So, would you be watching at 6pm?

that sounds right - it's usually on at 7:00pm & 9:00pm mountain time & the coast is an hour earlier than us.

11. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

12. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

13. ehm

ehm Banned

This is only the second episode I have seen and I have to tell you that it breaks my heart. I see sooooo much of myself in Kate when this happened to me. It makes it all feel like it was yesterday!

14. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Just finished watching on from 9-10pm, I just found it so sad. John was very aloof Kate seemed worn down.

15. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

Very, very sad!

16. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Jun 22 2009, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1364653[/snapback]
    This is only the second episode I have seen and I have to tell you that it breaks my heart. I see sooooo much of myself in Kate when this happened to me. It makes it all feel like it was yesterday!

I was very choked up. There are some definite raw emotions going on. :( I'm glad that they brought it public so there isn't any speculation out there in the media.

QUOTE(j&jtwins @ Jun 22 2009, 10:16 PM) [snapback]1364668[/snapback]
    Just finished watching on from 9-10pm, I just found it so sad. John was very aloof Kate seemed worn down.

I felt the same. I was very surprised over how John was acting. The way they acted is just how some of my friends that are getting divorced. You have one that is so checked out and ready to move on and one that just can't believe it. :cry:

17. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Jun 22 2009, 10:25 PM) [snapback]1364690[/snapback]
    I felt the same. I was very surprised over how John was acting. The way they acted is just how some of my friends that are getting divorced. You have one that is so checked out and ready to move on and one that just can't believe it. :cry:

It was pretty clear that this was John's decision. I was surprsied when he actually said he was excited at one point. eta: To be fair, he did say he was excited and sad.

18. MichelleL

QUOTE(ThreeLittleSnowflakes @ Jun 22 2009, 10:30 PM) [snapback]1364698[/snapback]
    It was pretty clear that this was John's decision. I was surprsied when he actually said he was excited at one point. eta: To be fair, he did say he was excited and sad.

Oh definitely, which really didn't surprise me. I too was very surprised he said excited. :huh:

19. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ThreeLittleSnowflakes @ Jun 22 2009, 10:30 PM) [snapback]1364698[/snapback]

I agree...Jon really seemed to be done with it and very ready to move on where as Kate doesn't. That part where Jon said he was excited and sad made me sad for the family as a whole. I hope that they try some counseling, it appears that Kate wants to talk about it all with Jon (can't remember exactly what she said but at one point she mentioned that she wanted to talk to him but he just wouldn't talk to her). Jon seems totally ready to move on. One thing though, I'm glad that they appear to be trying to remain friends and have some communication for the kids. It's all just very sad. Kate looked very, very tired and worn out.

20. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I can only hope that they can stay 'separation' for some time before making any quick decision with the 'Divorce'. But the thing is that neither of them ever said, "I still love Jon or Katie' because of our children. They haven't even mention about getting marriage counselor. It does sounds like Jon doesn't want to continue the marriage. He revealed his anger toward to some of the past to the present about how Kate treated him. He probably more angry at Kate for all of the crazy remark on show lately. Because he hasn't said 1 bad thing about her negatively.

Kate also made another controlling decision by moving the playhouse closer to their house. When Jon was already plow away in the wood for their newly playhouse. Even the contractor worker said it was a perfect place. And it is just one more of Kate's control freak over Jon. I am only assuming he meant that being 'excited' because he is finally getting the freedom by stepping up for himself with decision-split for the children.

We just need to respect their decision-making and they will do whatever they can to ensure the children best interest. I don't think I will be watching the show anymore. I can always catch up with reading in the news!

21. Chrissy Nelson

I think the show needs to end. I really could care less what has brought them to an end. If she is sleeping with her bodyguard, if he is sleeping with the teacher, honestly who cares. They all say we care about our kids but not enough to stop the cameras from rolling.

22. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

I find it interesting to see how many people make judgements from what they see on TV... We don't know anything that goes on behind closed doors, and regardless, it is sad what has happened to their family, or any family who breaks apart.

23. Chrissy Nelson

QUOTE(dollymomma @ Jun 23 2009, 02:50 AM) [snapback]1364730[/snapback]
    I find it interesting to see how many people make judgements from what they see on TV... We don't know anything that goes on behind closed doors, and regardless, it is sad what has happened to their family, or any family who breaks apart.

I think this show carefully scripts and edits. So yes I agree. We cannot judge from what we see on a 1 hr show. But I cannot imagine being their children and trying to live a normal life. It is sad when families divorce but why should these kids be thrown in the limelight too. Where is their voices??? When do they get a say when enough is enough.

24. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(dollymomma @ Jun 22 2009, 07:50 PM) [snapback]1364730[/snapback]

Um, they are on a tv show...what should the judgments be made by, the dozens of pop culture magazine trash articles out there commiserating about the family? Or perhaps the website and blogging communities trashing the family left, right, and center?

Of course we don't know anything that goes on behind closed doors, but this family put themselves into the limelight for the exact purpose of being watched by everyone. You don't get it both ways. It's always sad when a family is torn apart, by whatever reason, I hope they are saving for the future psychiatry bills (to the power of 8).

25. miss_bossy18

that was emotionally draining to watch - i can't even imagine how exhausted Jon & Kate must be. my heart is broken for them. i'm not sure i will watch the show anymore although, i do have to say, their children are just precious. watching them play in their crooked houses was really sweet.

26. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Never ever do I want somebody to get divorced and I'm sad they feel they can't work this out (it said at the end of the show that they had begun the process). It does make me sad to know that the kids who have already endured this much publicly now have to endure the separation of their parents in front of so many curious tv viewers. I have never experienced divorce or separation first hand but I don't think I would want my family in the public eye through all of it.

27. Kendra

28. MichelleL

29. Kendra

Yes it can but it also sets up a couple different scenerios. I am quite open with my dislike of Kate and who files means nothing but her statment is setting up a whole lot of nasty going into the divorce.

Not that I think he is innocent in anything. With them filming separatly it means he is just as far into the show as she is. He should stop filming his part if he is serious about it but then what would happen with the money?

Jodi and Kevin stated that they filmed for hours to get 15 minutes of usable film because of the animosity in the house. Maybe you don't belive them because they are "speaking for the money" but they were actually on the show and were there and I would think would know more about it than people watching would.

30. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

I did watch the first few seasons of the show and enjoyed them. I watched it again last night for the first time in a few years and it broke my heart.

Here's how I see it...I believe that all of this came from fear and truly good intentions. I remember the fear that I had having two at once. The financial responsibilities, the logistics of how does it work...I'm only one person with two arms, how will I do it?! Over the first year (at least) I was operating under adrenaline and in the fight mode (of fight or flight). I CANNOT imagine what would have happened to my personality if I had 8 at once. I CANNOT. I believe that Kate (and Jon at the time and still) saw an opportunity to make a life, have some financial stability and I do believe have some documentation of their little lives. I don't believe anyone stopped to think of the possible implications. I think they were operating under the fight mode.

I don't have any sympathy for Jon. Yeah, yeah, I understand the whole "what if he was talking to her like that" yada, yada, yada...but to listen to him say that he's "excited" for this next chapter of his life and he's only 32 years old...the fact that he won't even talk to Kate about what's bothering him...GROW up. There could be more to it...there could be infidelity...there could be any number of things going on, but looking at him sitting on that couch with earrings and his hip Ed Hardy t-shirts on, talking about moving on with his life, just truly BROKE my heart.

The dissolution of a family is tragic, regardless of how they got there, it's tragic. I just kept thinking about how those little ones are going to grow up one day, read and watch all of this, and blame themselves. Was it the TV show? Was it the fact that Mom wanted more, but every opportunity Dad's had to talk about has said he didn't, but they did anyway and hit the baby jackpot? They're going to blame themselves. Maybe in time they'll see that it was a combination of Dad being an immature pud and Mom was a shrew, but I think more than likely they're going to blame themselves.

31. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

The show last night was very sad. It's a terrible thing to go through a divorce (I've been there without kids in the picture and it was very hard). I think the marriage was doomed from the start. Jon and Kate had a bad dynamic to their marriage from the beginning of the series and most likely before any of the kids ever came into the picture. I think they were in a lose, lose situation with regard to their marriage once they had 8 kids. Had they not done the show, they would have the extreme stress of struggling to make ends meat and support a family of 10. They found a way to make a lovely living for their family (money, gift, and trip wise), but a whole different kind of stress came with it. Either way, the dynamic they already had in the marriage set them up for the failure of their marriage. I think they would have gotten a divorce whichever road they took. JMHO though.

I watched the show until last season, then watched the premeire this season and didn't watch again until last night. I will no longer be watching, but I'm still sad for this family -- especially the kids.

Mendy

32. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(me&myboys @ Jun 23 2009, 07:26 AM) [snapback]1364989[/snapback]
    I watched the show until last season, then watched the premeire this season and didn't watch again until last night. I will no longer be watching, but I'm still sad for this family -- especially the kids.

This is me. I just can't watch it anymore after this. Just too sad. I'm curious, though, as to what they will name the show now...Jon OR Kate plus 8...I mean, won't they have to change the name?

33. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

The things that I have picked up during the run of the show is that Kate was incredibly controlling and domineering and Jon is immature. It's almost as if Kate was Jon's mother. Perhaps Jon needed that dynamic in his 20's. In the end...who knows who's fault it was or who cheated first (although I suspect a Kate book deal will ultimate reveal :rolleyes: ) Certainly when you add in 2 sets of multiples, the huge expense to raise them, filming a TV show followed by new found fame and fortune....it a set up for disaster in a relationship that already had its own flaws. They didn't mention any attempt with marriage counseling last night? It appears that Jon has emotionally checked out. I'm assuming his heart is somewhere else.

I just feel the plug on this show should be pulled... PERIOD! If Jon and Kate are truly about their kid's needs first then they should have some respect for their sons and daughters and let them go through the pain of the split in private. I just don't understand why anyone would want to tape their young kids struggling thru a divorce. All for the money? How sad. Kate said last night.. "the show must go on". Common...there are always other options in life. I think they are making many poor decisions that will have a forever impact their young children. It's time for them to take off the "show biz blinders" and rescue what's left of their family.

34. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Stacy @ Jun 23 2009, 08:20 AM) [snapback]1364984[/snapback]
    I don't have any sympathy for Jon. Yeah, yeah, I understand the whole "what if he was talking to her like that" yada, yada, yada...but to listen to him say that he's "excited" for this next chapter of his life and he's only 32 years old...the fact that he won't even talk to Kate about what's bothering him...GROW up. There could be more to it...there could be infidelity...there could be any number of things going on, but looking at him sitting on that couch with earrings and his hip Ed Hardy t-shirts on, talking about moving on with his life, just truly BROKE my heart.

I completely agree with this. I believe they're both at fault, but he appears to be acting so immature and selfish about the whole thing. Like things just got too hard, so he wants out to start the new and more fun lifestyle that he missed out on. I just watched in disbelief thinking, wow, what a jerk he is.

35. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

My honest opinion about John and Kate is that. . . .

They both had 6 kids at once, that they didnt necessarily want. (meaning they were supposed to be trying for ONE, so SIX was a BIG DEAL) It was VERY overwhelming, and as a pp said they agreed to do the show b/c it was a steady income, and at that point they probably had no clue how else they would be able to support 8 children.

Kate probably always had an attitude/dominance issue even before the kids, but it got worse after they had the stress of the show AND trying to raise their 8 kids. I think John put up with a lot of Kates rude/degrading comments for the sake of NOT arguing on the show.
    I cant even explain my theory completely. It would take forever, and I too, would only be speculating as to what I THINK their life has been like. . but basically Johns attitude now is "This is not what I signed up for" and rather than trying to make the best of it (which Kate makes pretty difficult to do) he has checked out, and would rather not be with Kate. I think that he loves his kids very much, and wants to be there for them , but also wants to be single again due to the torture Kate has put him through over the years. I think Kate messed up by talking down to him so often, and I guess she thought he would put up with it forever. . I wonder sometimes if she even realized she was being so degrading and disrespectful to him. (I know Ive been in stressful situations when Im out somewhere with my kids and their father isnt helping like I'd like him to, and I say something that drips with attitude like "HELLO, I need your help over here, why am I the ONLY one taking care of the kids?" Not those exact words, but ykwim.) I think that was how Kate felt a lot of the time, so when she said something it was hard to say it nicely. . like -you are the dad, you should know what to do without me telling you! That, on top of the fact that she was a control freak and John seemed to be much more laid back about things, probably caused a lot of their issues.

So, I think it is VERY sad that they are filing for divorce right now, rather than possibly trying counseling or working on their issues. I know Kate said she has tried talking to John and he wont hold a conversation with her, which is immature. . but I wonder if he ever tried to talk to her and she didnt respond well, so now he's just like F it. I wonder if Kate has been in her own little "Survival mode" world all this time, and didnt even realize her marriage was going down the tubes.

There is so much that is unsaid, and left for speculating. Please dont think that Im taking sides or defending one or the other. Im simply guessing as to what could have been going on. If either of them were unfaithful, they are wrong for that. But, again we dont really know for sure.
    As for what John said in the interview about being excited and sad, I personally think he is excited at the idea of not being with Kate, and not having to constantly argue and be degraded. He probably feels some relief about that situation, especially about going public with it so he doesnt have to pretend like everything is ok. I think he is sad that his marriage didnt work out, and also that he wont be with his kids full time. I do think that he has checked out of the marriage though.
    Both of them said "I dont hate _____" (fill in with John or Kate) rather than saying "I still love ______" or something in a positive connotation. Its so sad to be watching someone go through this in 'real' life.
    Ok, Im done.