Jon & Kate + 8

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, May 26, 2009.

1. cupcake

cupcake Well-Known Member

Whoa, what happened over the weekend for Kate to file for divorce?

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/36486512.html

Wasn't Jon home with the kids? I read that Aiden was rushed to the hospital and had to have stitches. And is it true, he is smoking now?

Apparently, new shows won't air until August. They have suspended production.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/celebritie...ght_produc.html

It looks like it's not going to be a pleasant divorce, buy hey...what divorce is!

Watching last night's show was very difficult...SIGH

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(2plusbgtwins @ Jun 23 2009, 09:51 AM) [snapback]1365289[/snapback]
    Kate probably always had an attitude/dominance issue even before the kids, but it got worse after they had the stress of the show AND trying to raise their 8 kids. I think John put up with a lot of Kates rude/degrading comments for the sake of NOT arguing on the show.
    I cant even explain my theory completely. It would take forever, and I too, would only be speculating as to what I THINK their life has been like. . but basically Johns attitude now is "This is not what I signed up for" and rather than trying to make the best of it (which Kate makes pretty difficult to do) he has checked out, and would rather not be with Kate. I think that he loves his kids very much, and wants to be there for them , but also wants to be single again due to the torture Kate has put him through over the years. I think Kate messed up by talking down to him so often, and I guess she thought he would put up with it forever. . I wonder sometimes if she even realized she was being so degrading and disrespectful to him. (I know Ive been in stressful situations when Im out somewhere with my kids and their father isnt helping like I'd like him to, and I say something that drips with attitude like "HELLO, I need your help over here, why am I the ONLY one taking care of the kids?" Not those exact words, but ykwim.) I think that was how Kate felt a lot of the time, so when she said something it was hard to say it nicely. . like -you are the dad, you should know what to do without me telling you! That, on top of the fact that she was a control freak and John seemed to be much more laid back about things, probably caused a lot of their issues.

i agree that Kate often speaks disparagingly to Jon (i actually found it quite shocking to watch sometimes - i can't imagine talking to my DH that way), but at the end of the day, Jon is a grown man & responsible for communicating his own needs & wants. if he didn't want to do it on air, fine, i get that - he should have found another way to do it. it seems to me that instead of dealing with the little issues that were happening every day, he just bottled everything up over & over & over again & now he's at a point where he's like screw it, i don't even want to try anymore. like any relationship that ends, there are faults on both sides, but i really think Jon should have spoken up a loooooong time ago if he was so upset about how Kate treated him. she can't read his mind.

3. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(miss_bossy18 @ Jun 23 2009, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1365407[/snapback]
    i agree that Kate often speaks disparagingly to Jon (i actually found it quite shocking to watch sometimes - i can't imagine talking to my DH that way), but at the end of the day, Jon is a grown man & responsible for communicating his own needs & wants. if he didn't want to do it on air, fine, i get that - he should have found another way to do it. it seems to me that instead of dealing with the little issues that were happening every day, he just bottled everything up over & over & over again & now he's at a point where he's like screw it, i don't even want to try anymore. like any relationship that ends, there are faults on both sides, but i really think Jon should have spoken up a loooooong time ago if he was so upset about how Kate treated him. she can't read his mind.

I agree with you, I had this exact discussion with DH last night, sure Kate didn't speak to him appropriately, so she should have said something he's a grown man, discuss it, go to therapy etc. and try to fix it, instead of just waiting and now its too late. I just feel so sad for the while situation.

4. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jon said on the weekend when he was talking to fans and press on the drive that hes always smoked, the show just didn't show it.

I wonder if they will just disappear durring the hiatus. Not the same thing but in the "reality genre" there are precidents. Dog the Bounty Hunter had the scandal where the show was pulled quickly because a tape of him saying horribly racist stuff and you didn't hear anything about them until the show started again (on A&E) Another quickly pulled show was Dinner:Impossible when it turned out Robert Irvine was found to have lied about his chef experience. (on Food Network) (he was replaced)

I don't think I'll post on this anymore. I think the thing to remember is that there are always 3 sides to any story, his, hers and the truth.

5. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(krysn2ants @ Jun 22 2009, 10:40 PM) [snapback]1364717[/snapback]
    I agree...Jon really seemed to be done with it and very ready to move on where as Kate doesn't. That part where Jon said he was excited and sad made me sad for the family as a whole. I hope that they try some counseling, it appears that Kate wants to talk about it all with Jon (can't remember exactly what she said but at one point she mentioned that she wanted to talk to him but he just wouldn't talk to her). Jon seems totally ready to move on. One thing though, I'm glad that they appear to be trying to remain friends and have some communication for the kids. It's all just very sad. Kate looked very, very tired and worn out.

I can see what your saying but I do wonder if he has tried to talk to her but she just refuses to admit any of her own mistakes in this whole thing. Maybe he is sick of hearing her tell him she is right and whatever he is doing is wrong.

6. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2plusbgtwins @ Jun 23 2009, 11:51 AM) [snapback]1365289[/snapback]
    My honest opinion about John and Kate is that. . . .

They both had 6 kids at once, that they didnt necessarily want. (meaning they were supposed to be trying for ONE, so SIX was a BIG DEAL) It was VERY overwhelming, and as a pp said they agreed to do the show b/c it was a steady income, and at that point they probably had no clue how else they would be able to support 8 children.

Kate probably always had an attitude/dominance issue even before the kids, but it got worse after they had the stress of the show AND trying to raise their 8 kids. I think John put up with a lot of Kates rude/degrading comments for the sake of NOT arguing on the show.
    I cant even explain my theory completely. It would take forever, and I too, would only be speculating as to what I THINK their life has been like. . but basically Johns attitude now is "This is not what I signed up for" and rather than trying to make the best of it (which Kate makes pretty difficult to do) he has checked out, and would rather not be with Kate. I think that he loves his kids very much, and wants to be there for them , but also wants to be single again due to the torture Kate has put him through over the years. I think Kate messed up by talking down to him so often, and I guess she thought he would put up with it forever. . I wonder sometimes if she even realized she was being so degrading and disrespectful to him. (I know Ive been in stressful situations when Im out somewhere with my kids and their father isnt helping like I'd like him to, and I say something that drips with attitude like "HELLO, I need your help over here, why am I the ONLY one taking care of the kids?" Not those exact words, but ykwim.) I think that was how Kate felt a lot of the time, so when she said something it was hard to say it nicely. . like -you are the dad, you should know what to do without me telling you! That, on top of the fact that she was a control freak and John seemed to be much more laid back about things, probably caused a lot of their issues.

So, I think it is VERY sad that they are filing for divorce right now, rather than possibly trying counseling or working on their issues. I know Kate said she has tried talking to John and he wont hold a conversation with her, which is immature. . but I wonder if he ever tried to talk to her and she didnt respond well, so now he's just like F it. I wonder if Kate has been in her own little "Survival mode" world all this time, and didnt even realize her marriage was going down the tubes.

There is so much that is unsaid, and left for speculating. Please dont think that Im taking sides or defending one or the other. Im simply guessing as to what could have been going on. If either of them were unfaithful, they are wrong for that. But, again we dont really know for sure.
    As for what John said in the interview about being excited and sad, I personally think he is excited at the idea of not being with Kate, and not having to constantly argue and be degraded. He probably feels some relief about that situation, especially about going public with it so he doesnt have to pretend like everything is ok. I think he is sad that his marriage didnt work out, and also that he wont be with his kids full time. I do think that he has checked out of the marriage though.
    Both of them said "I dont hate _____" (fill in with John or Kate) rather than saying "I still love ______" or something in a positive connotation. Its so sad to be watching someone go through this in 'real' life.
    Ok, Im done.

I agree with how you feel about just about everything you typed and especially the bolded parts.

I also think they should have tried counseling (maybe they did) before they decided to divorce.

7. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I think Kate summed up her priorities quite well last night with 5 simple words, "The show must go on.."

8. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cristina @ Jun 23 2009, 05:22 PM) [snapback]1365908[/snapback]
    I think Kate summed up her priorities quite well last night with 5 simple words, "The show must go on.."

:laughing: Well, spoken like a true diva. (I don't watch the show...I just like to judge loudly from the sidelines.)

9. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

I think that when you put your kids above your own husband/wife relationship, then you have problems. When they said that they did everything for the kids, it seems that was the problem. I think they should have focused on how they could come together as a team to do for their family TOGETHER. I realize that raising a large family requires sacrifice in the h/w relationship, but at some point you have to put some effort into that relationship or there is nothing left...

10. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cristina @ Jun 24 2009, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1365908[/snapback]

I wish they had cued Queen in the background when she said that. :lol: How delusional she is...

11. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ Jun 24 2009, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1367012[/snapback]
    I wish they had cued Queen in the background when she said that. :lol: How delusional she is...
    :rofl: Perfect!

12. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Came across this article today... Sorry if it's been mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's new.
    Jon and Kate article

13. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

QUOTE(dollymomma @ Jun 24 2009, 09:05 AM) [snapback]1366745[/snapback]
    I think that when you put your kids above your own husband/wife relationship, then you have problems. When they said that they did everything for the kids, it seems that was the problem. I think they should have focused on how they could come together as a team to do for their family TOGETHER. I realize that raising a large family requires sacrifice in the h/w relationship, but at some point you have to put some effort into that relationship or there is nothing left...

Very true!! DH and I are working on that exact thing. We have put our childrens needs and wants in front of ours for a long time. We have forgotten that we had a relationship before we had our children. Its a hard proces to learn but we are trying to make our marriage a bigger priority right now. I dont want to wait until our children are grown and out of the house and then turn to my husband and not recongnise him anymore.

The situation with John and Kate is very sad. I would have pulled the plug on the show when things first started going bad. I am annoyed that Kate said "the show must go on." I dont know if they are obligated to continue because of a contract with TLC or what.

14. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I had posted a poll yesterday in the Parent's Club forum (http://www.twinstuff.com/forum/index.php?/going-watch-kate-plus-eight-tonight-t138990-pid-1413553-page-20.html#entry1413553) asking how many folks might watch the new episode last night and 54% said no but more than 30 responses said they might watch it.

And I have a confession. I had voted no, but then my kids wanted to watch it (really and truly, they did), so we did watch it. From what I saw, it was really Kate and the Kids. They had a little of the two of them together planning a kitchen remodel, but it was mostly her. He probably is going to lose all the sympathy he used to get for being so henpecked. I'm guessing ratings last night will be good but the show will quickly lose its steam and probably play out its run this year. It hasn't been renewed yet for another season, has it?