Jumping on furniture

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by bkpjlp, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

My kids are driving me nuts with constantly doing headstands on my sofa, jumping off it, etc.  It's new furniture so I want to keep it in nice shape.  I do the 1-2-3 technique and they stop at 2 (most times), I take rewards away, etc but they still do it!  It's driving me crazy.  How do I get them to not even try climbing?  If I lay on the couch, they tend to stop because I'm in the way, but you guys can appreciate how infrequently I can find the time to lay on the couch!  

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

LOL! My Dh wanted to get new couches for Christmas, I said no way til they're older. They are constantly jumping, flipping off of or running and slamming into these things like it's the bounce house palace!
    No idea, most doesn't bother me because I remember getting yelled at as a kid for it. I just tell them if they want to jump to go down on the trampoline.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would offer another acceptable place for them to do those things.

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Haha, we have the same problem with our kiddos (and I remember getting yelled at SO much as a child for the same thing)... I gave up on that battle long ago!!!  We have our "nice" couch in the TV room that they are not allowed to monkey around on and we have "junk" couches in the living room that they are allowed to tear up.  As a side note, our "junk" couches are 12 year old couches from IKEA and are really holding up quite nicely for the amount of abuse they sustain :)

5. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

There are indoor trampolines. Would something like that fit in the room? That might help revert some of the need to jump off your couch and onto the trampoline. But they'd have to go one at a time. There are indoor tramps that even include a protective netting like the larger, outdoor ones.

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I threaten them that the only place they'll be able to sit is on the floor, and follow through if they continue to rough house on my furniture.  It works for us!

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd get a bean bag chair or something they can beat the heck out of.