keeping them in bed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by silver_stardust, Oct 29, 2012.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Any tips or tricks to keep the kids in bed at night? Their room is upstairs and they will not stay in their bed after lights out. We have to constantly get after them, put them back in their bed and shut the light off. They just think its more time to play!

How do you keep you're kids in their bed?

2. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We usually let them play a little after we say goodnight (unless they got to bed later than usual). If they are not settling or it is getting too late, we go in there and give a warning. We then either turn off the light or take away a toy if they do not settle. Some times the warning is enough and if not, 9 times out of 10 turning the nightlight off keeps them in bed because it is too dark to play. We then go back in and turn it on before we go to bed in case there is a middle of the night wake up.

When we first transitioned, it also helped to remind them every night at bedtime that bedtime was for sleeping and what the rules are (stay in bed, quiet, etc). Over the course of a few weeks it sunk in and most nights they go to sleep without a problem. If we get them to bed too late, we have more problems because DS gets more hyper as he gets tired, so it seems as though getting the timing right helps for us.

3. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My kids are much smaller than yours, but what I do is to make sure the room is so dark that they can’t see to get out of bed. I still have a monitor in the room and even stuck tape over the pilot light. If they have night lights I would remove these or negotiate. If you stay in bed you can have a night light if you don't we will remove it. Can they turn the main light on in their room? Any way to make it that they can’t turn it on.

I agree with the pp remind them of the rules when they go to bed and negotiate. You can keep a favourite toy with you if you stay in bed, if not it has to go etc.

4. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

My eldest son who is 4 and my twin boy who is 3 sleep in the same room together. We have zero toys in there and they just have themselves and their beds. They talk, play a little, i don't really care what they do in there as long as within good time they are in their beds sleeping or not coming out of their rooms, i'm ok with that. Sometimes they will take a toy into their room with them, but I tell them "if you get out of your bedroom, I will take away the toy". At first it was really rough and I would do a lot of yelling (I just don't understand why they woudln't go to bed) and realized that that wasn't helping any. So, now I listen to what they want, we talk about it and then they go back to their rooms. I just found taht staying calm helped them relax before bedtime.

Really....I have no magic tips or tricks.... :mellow:

5. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, my girls have done this off and on ever since they moved into big girl beds, so a loooong time ago. They mainly use the excuse "I need another hug and kiss!" but also "I'm hungry" "I need to potty" "I need another animal" etc. I noticed it does help when they are more tired because they are more likely to go in and go to sleep rather than mess around, etc. It's also worse because they share a room so if they aren't tired they just want to play, even when there is nothing in there but a blanket. So I read this on another board and have started a week ago and it seems to be working well! Take 3 coins (I use either nickels or dimes) and put them outside the door of the room. Every time your child comes out for any reason they must give you a coin. In the morning, however many coins are left they get to keep and put in a piggy bank for an allowance. I noticed a big difference! They, especially Willow, get very excited about the idea of having the coins and so instead of getting out of bed 10, 15, 20 times a night, it has been no more than 2 and some nights none! Then first thing in the morning, Willow comes and shows me her coins, she is so proud. So maybe this is something you could try. I did it all before too, giving in, yelling, taking stuff away etc. but this reward system seems to be working better.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We let them. As long as they stay in their room. They were not able to leave their room for the longest time though (my kids get into EVERYTHING), so we really didn't care, eventually they'd fall asleep. Then we removed the knob cover and they still stayed. If they're too loud 30 minutes later we go in and remind them that it's time to sleep, but that's it really.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

At 3, I started a sticker chart. They got a sticker in the morning if they stayed in bed all night. At the end of the week, if they had so many stickers, they got a special treat. We have used the sticker chart for many, many things because it worked so well with my girls.

8. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

We have a lock that goes on the door if the kids get out of their bed after bed time. I would say that it took about 3 weeks of regularly having to apply the lock before they really started to inhibit, but now they almost never get out of their beds. They would get REALLY upset when we locked their door - it actually made me feel horrible. But I'm so glad that we did it because now they go to bed very easily. I can't remember the last time I even threatened to put the lock on their door.