Keeping your c-section scar dry...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by fromthecabbagepatch, Jul 21, 2009.

1. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

Hey girls.. for those of you who had a c-section not too long ago... how did you keep it dry? Mine is right where my belly folds/flops over (thanks to the twins!) I'm putting peroxide on it like the doctor says, but I can't lay down all day long which is the only way to expose it to air. Just don't want an infection.

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I was told not to put anything on it. Did you get staples, stitches, glue?

3. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I was also told not to put anything on the incision, but could use a maxi pad stuck to my underwear right there to help keep it dry when it was oozy. Hope it helps.

4. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

dry maxi pad as well, but that was only for the first couple days. after that i was allowed to shower as normal.

5. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

i used gauze squares. the hospital sent us home with a ton of gauze so it was an easy choice.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I tucked a facecloth or small towel under my "fold" of skin. Sounds gross I know, but it was sweating underneath there so bad and making it look red and itch like crazy.

Once it was completely completely healed (after a few weeks) I started putting some baby powder on it to help keep it dry, it does help.

:hug:

7. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

Funny, I was actually encouraged to get mine wet and soapy in the shower while still in the hospital so that the tape holding the post-surgical dressing would be easier to remove. I was never told to put anything like peroxide on it. It was almost completely healed by the time I checked out of the hospital four days after my surgery. I had staples that were removed the day I left the hospital, and I had steri-strips for a week after that. I did use a maxi pad to keep my pants from rubbing against it, but I never had any oozing or anything like that.

8. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ladies! I got my stitches removed yesterday...and I think I had a couple spots that the doctor wanted me to watch...why she told me to put the peroxide on I guess. I'm itchy and sweaty too... I'll have to try putting a washcloth there..and the baby powder later on.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

4 inches of my incision didn't close so I had to have it packed in gauze daily while it healed from the inside out - the best stuff in the world was called Tegaderm - it comes in patches (its basically the clear sheets that they put over your IV's)...if you can get them from a medical supply they are great!

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

The nurse who came to our house told me to fold a maxi pad long ways and put the pad side against the incision scar. Worked great, and my underwear held it in place. HTH!