Kid-Proof Car Seat Buckles?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Mom2VLS, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Twice now I have gone to get the twins out of their car seats and Sophie's top buckle is undone. When it happened the first time I thought I may not have latched it well but I know I have been extra vigilant since then. So now I am fairly confident that my little tinkerer has figured out the latch. She still hasn't figured out the bottom either so she can't get out but it definitely would not be safe in a crash and I don't know when she has done it.

We are still using the infant carriers so we can switch to the convertible seats (which have a different style buckle) but my guess is that will buy us a few weeks at the most.

Anybody have suggestions for keeping Houdini in her car seat if she figures out the new buckle?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My five year old DD still can't undo her convertible seat buckles. So I'd guess convertible will work. I'd be seriously concerned about the quality of your infant seat. There is no way an infant should be able to undo those buckles.

3. Mom2VLS

It's a Graco Snugride...maybe because we've been using them longer than most people they don't latch as good anymore. We have had no issues with either one until now. We will give the convertible seat a whirl though.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have heard of people having to duct tape those top buckles, just run one strip around it so they can't get it apart. I never had to worry about it, but that's something to keep in mind if she continues to get it open on you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mom2VLS

Thanks! That's plan B. Even her pedi doubts switching car seats will be a long term solution. And I actually caught her undoing the infant seat top buckle once. So they are in the convertible seats ever since then. At least the new buckles will take a little more strengh and dexterity than she currently has to get them off (hopefully).

6. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I am glad this thread popped back up. I was brainstorming ideas.. and then for got to post.

what about using a Velcro strap and making it end on the backside of the buckle? I don't know if it would be a permanent fix but it might buy you some time especially if you applied it discretely. If it works it would be easier to deal with then duck-tape.

I got these from Lowes and use them for everything!

GL

1 person likes this.
  7. Mom2VLS

Awesome idea, Amy! That's probably a little bit better than the duct tape because it's quicker to release and, let's be honest, it's hard enough getting all the kids in and out these days as it is! Between all these different options, I should be able to get us to when she's big enough to turn the seat forward facing and I can see what she's doing.

8. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

I once nannied for a boy whose mom took the straps out of the carseat and put them on backwards. That way the red button faced inward. It worked great. I am assuming it would work the same for the top buckle. It made it harder to get him out but at least he stayed in!

1 person likes this.
  9. Mom2VLS

Oooo! That's another good idea! I have got to bookmark this thread for future reference.