Kids and state academic testing

Discussion in 'General' started by hudsonfour, Mar 23, 2015.

1. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I didn't say that giving tests wasn't part of the federal requirements, it is the tying it to teacher evaluations that is political.  The tests were designed to test students achievement relative to the curriculum of their grade--NOT to be tied to teacher evaluations--THAT is the part that is really a problem.

2. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Teacher evaluations should definitely NOT be tied to standardized test scores.  I always want to ask when will parents be held accountable?  When will the tables be turned on the parents who don't read to their preschoolers.  Or feed them and provide a safe place for them to live. 

I honestly like how Finland handles public education.  Few standardized tests.  Little to no homework.  Less time in the classroom.  Formal school not required until age 7.  Teachers are paid what they are worth.  Teachers are picked from the cream of the crop and I believe require a Master's Degree.  I keep looking for flaws in their system. 

1 person likes this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd be happy to adopt a Finnish system. They also work so that all of their schools are amazing. Private school isn't really an option, equity is the goal.

2 people like this.
  4. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

We do ISTEP here in Indiana and while the days and testing are long for the kids I guess I have always thought it is just the way it is.  I have learned that as a parent if I make a big deal about something at school (testing, homework, lunches etc) then my kids will catch onto my attitude and not want to have a positive attitude about it either.  If I just have a matter of fact this is just how it is type of attitude they do too. 

I have to take a certain amount of credit hours to remain certified at my job, do I like to take those tests, nope but I have to do it.

1 person likes this.
  5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Sue, I see FSA server is down statewide and tests are cancelled.  

6. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

My kids took the first part of the reading portion of SBAC last week.  The teachers said it was brutal.  Only the performance part of reading and two parts of math to go.