Kids type sunscreen

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, May 21, 2012.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

At what age can kids use regular type sunscreen? I don’t see anything on the packaging of regular sunscreen that states age – except for not to be used on babies 6 months and under.

Thanks

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I think I remember being told that you can use it as young as 2 or 3 mos but it's much better to just keep baby protected from direct sunlight at all costs. If you MUST have a tiny baby outside, dress them in very light long sleeves and long pants and a super wide brimmed hat to keep them completely out of direct sun.

3. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They just came out with new rec's on sunscreen. The spray ones are not good. A lot of sunscreens have known carcinogens in them.

If you google new sunscreen recs 2012 or something like that, they should pop up.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

This will give you a good idea of the safe sunscreens out there. Sadly most of the cheap ones you find in stores are really not safe.

6. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I LOVE the EWG website!! You can type in what you use and it gives you the researched ratings, for everything, not just sunscreen. I've always used All Terrain, It's a very safe sunscreen. Bit like Tue pp said, cover up is best.

7. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

We use Tru Kid sunscreen. Love it! It is thick but rubs in fine and turns clear. Tru Kid

8. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

At that age, most of us here use SPF rated long sleeve tops and shorts - they're called rash vests, I don't know what you would have similar, as well as sunscreen for the parts this doesn't cover... I'll google for you a little later and see what you have similar.... UV rays will still penetrate through clothing even in the shade and try not to be in the sun between 12pm-3pm this is when it's the strongest.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We also use the rash guards for when the kids are out swimming. For general sun exposure, I use Banana Boat Kids. I just use it on the whole family. I'm known in my family as the sunscreen nazi. Especially since my husband, daughter and mother all have very fair skin.

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The problem with most sunscreens is that 1) they don't protect against UVAs, 2) most contain retinyl palmitate, which actually increases your chances of cancer if you get exposed to the sun (sometimes just listed as vitamin A), 3) a lot of children sunscreens contain Oxybenzone, which messes up with their hormons.

I still wonder if using no sunscreen is better than using most of the ones out there!

Please check this site and see how well your sunscreen rates... http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

11. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

The TruKid sunscreen that I posted does not contain Vit A.

12. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

I came across this Rash Vests and realised I never posted a link - something like this is better for kiddies than using sunscreen all over them especially if they are in and out of water all day... I also use the Banana Boat and our Cancer Council ones.... Have a look also in health food stores as they usually stock sunscreen suitable for children - I still use these types on my 12 year old.