Kindy question

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Jaimie, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Jaimie

Jaimie Well-Known Member

Were your twins reading by the end of kindy? and if so at what level. Most of the schools in our district are reading by the end of the year. My friend has a daughter in kindy this year and she has said that her daughter has not learned a thing this year at our zoned school. The school year is half over and they are still working on their phonics and letters.

Our district has open enrollment and I am thinking of them going to a diffrent school where they are doing more in kindy. Oh and i emailed all three kindy teachers at our zoned school to find out what they do in kindy and what reading level they should be at by the end of the school year and i have not heard anything back at all which makes me worried too.

Would you send your kids to a diffrent school if you felt the education was better? We would have to self transport which is not an issue.

2. Jaimie

Jaimie Well-Known Member

Were your twins reading by the end of kindy? and if so at what level. Most of the schools in our district are reading by the end of the year. My friend has a daughter in kindy this year and she has said that her daughter has not learned a thing this year at our zoned school. The school year is half over and they are still working on their phonics and letters.

Our district has open enrollment and I am thinking of them going to a diffrent school where they are doing more in kindy. Oh and i emailed all three kindy teachers at our zoned school to find out what they do in kindy and what reading level they should be at by the end of the school year and i have not heard anything back at all which makes me worried too.

Would you send your kids to a diffrent school if you felt the education was better? We would have to self transport which is not an issue.

3. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My son was reading at a 2nd grade level at the end of kindergarten, but he started reading at age 4, so I don't know how much was the teacher and how much was just him. I do know, though, that they did a lot of work on sight words and were expected to have learned the full list by the end of the year.

We have school choice here also. I have learned with my third grader that it all depends on the teacher you get. He has had good teachers every other year. His K teacher was AWESOME, but his 1st grade teacher was a complete dud. That compelled me to switch him to a gifted program school, where he had a fantastic teacher for 2nd grade but now in 3rd grade is stuck with another one I'm not thrilled with at all.

While I love his new school and it has super test scores and such, it's much further away, and all his school friends are spread across town, making it really difficult to have playmates over. If his 1st grade teacher had been better, I probably wouldn't have switched. But I've learned now that there are great teachers and far less than great teachers no matter where you go.

4. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

I, too, think it has a lot to do with the teacher. While we were in Florida, the boys started pre-k at a school that wasn't their "home" school b/c at the time, not all the schools had the pre-k program. I liked that school so much that when it came time for kindergarten, I sent them there as well (I just had to have the principle at their "home" school sign a form.). The boys were reading at a 2nd grade level when they got done with kindergarten. I really, really liked their pre-k teachers but their kindergarten teacher wasn't at the top of my favorite list but she did get the job done. I really liked their 1st grade teacher in Florida but then we moved. So far, I really like their new teachers (they separated them at this new school!!!) and have heard nothing but good things about both of their teachers. Do some research online about the school(s) in your area and the teachers, if you can...then make your decision.

5. Jaimie

Jaimie Well-Known Member

hmmm. thanks for the info. Our school seems to have three duds for kindy LOL. I am gonna look into some more info i recieved today as with my twos special needs i really am worried that they are gonna fall behind in a class of almost thirty students. Our options are change to a school with better ratios or the new Early childhood kindergarden which is looking ideal. smaller classes with more one on one time with the teachers and therapists. Also i am gonna take a tour of the two schools i am looking at.

thanks for the info though.