Known sex offenders in neighborhood

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I just heard this said on the news.

There are 264 known sex offenders in the area of Somer Thompsons neighbor hood. :drown:

OH My Goodness! WOW!

Do you know how many offenders are in your neighborhood/area?

What resources do you use to know if there are in your area/neighborhood?

2. ehm

ehm Banned

There are 27 in my area according to Watchdog. If you go to that site and put in your address it will give you color coded squares, you can click on the square and it will give you the address and if they have the info it will show you a pic, list their employer and what crimes they are on the list for.

We had one offender near us that was on an extreme level that the Police department hand delivered flyers with the information to all of the neighbors.

3. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

Our police website has a list of offenders, their crimes, their picture & their address. Good info to have! Luckily there was only one in my general area, and he was over 80 years old. I think he died, because he isn't listed any longer.

Keep in mind sex offenders can be a broad term. I found an old boyfriend on that website that was there because he was caught pee'ing on the side of the road (public indecency).

4. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

The vast majority of people of the sex offender's registry are NOT on there for peeing on the side of the road or an 18 year old having sex with his 17 1/2 year old girlfriend. The highest concentration are among men who have sexually molested a child under the age of 16. It is creating false security to think that the sex offender's registrants are not a danger to our families - while they are mostly a danger to children they know....they are also a threat to our children.

I know that no one can protect their children against everything.....but hearing about things like Somer Thompson & looking at sex offender registry website renews my commitment that my children will not be outside alone anywhere, anytime. I am deeply aware that the chances are miniscule that any one child will be taken.....but any risk, no matter how slight, is too much for me. I guess I don't prize independence & self sufficiency in children as much as most parents.....but my children will be in the care of an adult until they are old enough to drive a car. It worked for my oldest dd - of course she is fearlessly independent now...but I know that she is able to make good decisions, be cautious about her personal safety & not take foolish chances. I hope & pray that little girl is found unharmed.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is the site I go to as well.

6. twin_trip_mommy

I check my local police web site from time to time or I watch our local channel that has pictures and info come up about things going on around the town and offenders. I have used watchdog in the past but could not remember the sites name. WatchDogs site is actually called FamilyWatchdog.us

I found 1 offender within a mile of my home that has a Conviction=RAPE AND ABUSE OF CHILD Conviction Date=11/20/2007

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Yes I do, I have known since we bought our home...we have two, both on the street across from us. We live in a nice neighborhood, too.

8. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

From what I could figure out, just two and those two were listed twice. :unknw:

There is a bulletin board at our library that posts this info.

9. twin_trip_mommy

the offender could be listed twice because they say they work from home because they have to show home and work on the registry

10. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Their work address is another town.
    Still good info to know!

11. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

yep, check it every once an awhile, but never will i let my guard down as well as let my kids play outside alone. When we first were buying our home, i checked meganslaw.com to see if there were any sex offenders close by and it showed one that was on my street but you would have to cross a major street to get to his home. Well i did't check the actual house number and one month after we bought the house our other neighbor comes over and informs us that our next door neighbor is a registered sex offender. Of course i looked it up online again and sure enough it showed the wrong spot on the map and it was literally our next door neighbor, not across the street like i had thought. I was furious that the previous owner declined to tell us this and she even played dumb about it as well after we confronted her and the kicker was that she knew we had young children. There was no way she didn't know either because she was the original owner and so was this guy. It still infuriates me that she did this. And no, this wasn't something like the 18/17 boyfriend girlfriend... peeing on the side of the road... i had a good friend of mine who is a cop in a neighboring city look it up and it was something that happened in 2000/2001 (he's 64), he served 9 months in jail, 4 years probation, and it was something with a child under the age of 13. Sickening! So needless to say i am already on guard all the time and the guy keeps his distance from me, but then again i give him the evil eye anytime i see him. :aggressive:

12. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

There's only one anywhere near us and it's down by the river on the county line. We had one just a few houses down when we lived in MD. It's all about vigilance with our children.

13. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

In the previous owner's defense, I don't think I would have the first clue if my neighbor were a sex offender - even if I had lived next to him while he was arrested, convicted, and tried. I've never looked up who is around me, if anyone. Is it odd that I really don't care to know? I'm not a fan of the registries in general though. :unsure:

14. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

That is wrong. I live in the same town as Somer. There were 53 know sex offenders in a 2 mile radius of her home. I think the # the gave was for the whole county or a 20 mile radius which includes the city limits of Jacksonville. I do think that 53 is a huge ###! I live about 5 miles from her home...I spend time at the local park less than 1 mile away from her home, but my kids are not out of my site. If you saw this area of town, you would not be worried or have a huge concern about your child walking home from school.

The zip is 32073 if you are wanting to check it out. In her zip there are 60 know offenders, but the zip covers more than a 2 mile radius.Fl sex offender list

1 person likes this.
  15. twin_trip_mommy

I could not figure out the link that you gave. I agree 53 is a high number but much less than 264. On family watchdog.us when I type in your ZIP it does pop up with 254 offenders in that Map Block 20 mile radius. When I type in my zip it pops up with 100 offenders in that first Map Block of (I would assume) a 20 mile radius. The number 100 is scary to me for my 20 mile radius I could not imagine knowing there were more than double that even if the neighborhood looked peaceful.

My heart breaks for the Thompson family and their loved ones

16. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Sorry that link took you to the main page. If you click offender search, then on the blue menu bar click search, you should be able to put in the zip code. I agree at 60 is too many, and it is sad that any community has sex offenders.
    Sex offender search

17. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

The number of offenders on the registry concerns me less than the unregistered/unconvicted ones who you don't hear about. I live less than 2 miles from a man who date raped two women when he was in his 20's, as well as molested several of his cousins, some for many many years. He isn't listed on ANY registry, why? because he has never been convicted of anything. Does that make his offenses any less offensive? Not in my book. And for every one offender on the list(s), there is at least one unconvicted or unregistered offender.

18. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Do any of you know if there is such a site for Canada?

19. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I think the closest one to us is 2-3 miles away. Not too many until you get to the next town over. But I agree with the pp, it's not the ones with convictions that you necessarily need to be concerned with. We have a fairly large neighborhood. What are the odds that NO ONE in this neighborhood is screwed up along those lines?? maybe not enough to kidnap and kill, but enough to abuse in someway?? IMHO slim to none. I'll still watch over my kids.

I also have some hesitancy over these lists. I'm fierce about protecting my kids, but you have to wonder if there is any rehabilitative hope for these people who have their names, photos, workplaces, homes on this list forever. I hope that at least for those who were 18 and had sex with a 17 year old or for those who peed on the side of a street while drunk that there is some timeframe for removing their names. As for repeat offenders against children...they should be rotting somewhere instead of on the streets.

20. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

When I look up my zip I get a total of 910 offenders on the first page! :woah: Honestly, though that doesn't shock me at all since I live in a nice suburb of a city that is mostly inner-city and that 20 mile radius also includes downtown Cincinnati. There is only one person in my actual neighborhood. That is actually less than the last time I looked.

21. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

There are 11 total in my county. Only 1 lives in our town.

22. HamiltonDad

HamiltonDad Well-Known Member

I looked into it (briefly) but doesn't look like it. The National Sex Offender Database isn't made public and is only for assisting police... should be made public IMO!

23. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

I use Family Watchdog. It is pretty accurate and they seem to update it often enough.

24. missmomoftwins02

I just checked Family Watchdog...there are 205 offenders within 8 miles of my house! :eek:

25. missmomoftwins02

What really bugs me is that there is one that lives DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from the Park we go to alot!! I NEVER let my kids go to the park alone b/c it is abt 3 blocks away, but I have let them go to the bathroom while I stayed on the playground with my other kids...NEVER AGAIN! SCARY!!

There are 11 within 1 mile of our house. 3 of those (including the one across from the park) are abt 3 blocks from us. There used to be one down the street but he moved! YEAH!!

26. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I use the same site as Dianne. :good:

I have one living down the block. :bad: I saw his picture on the site and then one day he looked up while he was gardening and when I saw his face I swear I turned white as a ghost! :bad: Very disturbing.

1 person likes this.
  27. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

We do not have any within a 5 mile radius but there are several in the town.

I was looking on there once and saw my former Hair Dressers husband.

28. qfmom2009

qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

Thankfully,the closest one is about around 6 miles from our house. We're in a very rural area though.