Kolcraft Contours Tandem Stroller

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rhc0607, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about getting the Combi SBS stroller, but looking at the Kolcraft Contours stroller I am thinking about getting it. Does anyone have this stroller and if so, how do you like it?? Contours Tandem Stroller

2. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

I don't have it, but looking back now (and after seeing several of them around town) I so desperately wish that I had bought this stroller. We started off with the graco duoglider and it's nice but the contours one seems like a better solution as lo's get older. Now we have a valco and I'm a huge fan. The contours stroller seems perfect and I've read some great reviews on it. Happy shopping. :)

3. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Hi Holly,

I actually have the contour and i love it, it's great for diversity, very easy to manoeuvre, i love it. The down side is that it is big even in our dodge caravan and you have to take off the seats to fold it, but apart from that, i really love it. When DS2 was born, i got the graco one to fit Ds1 and ds2 but i hated it, i found it too bulky and heavy, and we also had a sbs that we barely used because it didn't fit in the shops.
    hth

4. rhc0607

Charlie,

Do you feel like it is too heavy?? Also are you bothered that there are no cupholders for the kids? I read that the negative reviews are the weight and no cupholders. Also the seats aren't very big. There is one on Craigslist that is a year old for $120.

5. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I like ours - it is heavy and definitely takes up a lot of room. Its great for bigger trips like the zoo, mall or going for walks. We used it A LOT with the infant seats. The lack of cupholders for the kids doesn't bother me and I don't think the seat are really all that small- my 32lb 4yr still can fit in them. I love the big basket and how easy it turns. If you can find a used one for a good price it might be worth it but I would also suggest getting a umbrella or sbs for quick trips - we use our sbs to run my 4yr old into preschool.

6. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

I have it and so far overall I love it!!!

In the spirit of full disclosure, a couple of critiques:

• It's heavy - hard to hoof into the back of the car
    • I like the flexibility but it's sometimes a pain to take the seats/car seat racks off to fold tightly
    • While it does stand up when folded, you can't drag it around on the wheels when it's folded, so you have to be at your car when you fold it otherwise you have to carry it.

But, I do love the options with it. It works great with our Graco Safeseats, and I'm looking forward to using the different seat configurations as the girls get bigger. The basket below is DA BOMB, because I can take both girls shopping with me and just put everything down below - it's that big.

I highly recommend this stroller for the price!

7. Momof2wonders

Holly

i really don't find it too heavy at all, ds2 even sometimes catches a ride sitting on the handle bar!
    as for the cupholders, i don't really mind, but it's up to your preference.
    That's a great price for it, if you do decide to go for it, make sure it comes with the two car seat adaptors, if not, they are easy enough to find for aroud $20.

8. adebolin

adebolin Member

I guess I'm a little different. HATED it! We have a Honda Pilot and it took up almost all of the cargo area with the back seat down, so we would have to wedge it into the front seat if I had all four kids, meaning wecouldn't take it if the whole family was going somewhere. The lady who bought it from me coudn't get it into her trunk so she came and got her money back. Also, I did feel like the seats were too small. My 2 year old looked huge in it, let alone my 4 year old. Once we got it to where we were going it was nce for the twins and had a lot of cargo space. It also started falling apart after about a month of use, but we called Kolcraft and the sent us a brand new one that arrived two day later so they do have great customer service.

Oddly enough our replacement was the Combi SBS! We ordered it on eBay for $179 with free shipping, got it in three days and I love it! It fits easily in the car even with th third row up, it's so light and easy to maneuver and even fits through all the doorways we've faced. I'd definately recommend it out of the two!

9. fancybeltran

fancybeltran Well-Known Member

I have it and it is marvelous. People complain that it is too heavy but what would you expect if you want quality. I would say to anyone you can use in the store because of the alsie sides are great with this stroller. You can turn the babies anyway you want too. It is great my 2 year old loves it too. I would say get it. But I got mines from Craigslist.org for 100. It is in the store for about 200-300. So consider getting one that is used. Other than that it is great.

I have a van and it fits the stroller and the one seated stroller in it just fine. I have a Town & Country 05 I think that is the year.

I hope my honest review helps.

Anyone else dont complain about the weight of it think about it as a workout.lol ; 0 )

10. shlbifish

shlbifish Well-Known Member

I have it and love it, though I don't know any different. Like a previous poster said, make sure you get a 2nd car seat adaptor, since it only comes with one. All the places online that sold the adaptor, were sold out, so I won it on EBay for pretty cheap. It is big and bulky, but I'm ok with it and can get it in and out of the van on my own. We have a large cargo area in our minivan so I have no complaints about size. I'm not worried about a cupholder either. I really like the ease of use though I do make the 'beep beep beep' backing up sound many times while at the store. I would say go for it if you can find it cheap! If its not for you, you can always resell it!

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have it so I don't have any personal experience with it, but I did test drive it in the store and it just seemed so big and heavy to lug around. I have 4 kids though and need a lot of space in the back of my Yukon XL when we go grocery shopping and whatnot so I knew I needed something much smaller. If you do have the space it's probably great since most people love it ;) I also didn't like that you had to take the seats off to fold it down, seemed like that's just one more step when you are in a hurry ;)

I'm going to plug the combi SBS that someone else mentioned ;) It's cheaper, lighter, easily manueverable and fits anywhere that's wheelchair accessible. The only places I have had a problem is at my dentists office, which is in a very very old style building with the narrow doorways. It's not even wheelchair accessible in the front, you have to go through the back door ;)

12. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this stroller. It fits in our caravan just fine. We don't find it that heavy, as it simply stays in our van for when we go out and we take it out, plop in the seats, plop in the girls and go! I LOVE that I can have them both facing me and I can eventually have them face each other or have them face forward. I've been using this since the girls were one month and still am using it. It reclines REALLY WELL! I love how much storage I have under there. It manuevers beautifully and is a breeze to take the girls out for a walk.

Have I mentioned I LURVE this stroller?? :D

13. mkhvjh

mkhvjh Well-Known Member

I also love this stroller! I'm only 4' 11" tall & 126 lbs. It's not too heavy at all! We have a BuyBuyBaby near us and the gal at the store showed me how to use it (Babies R Us tried to talk me out of it. The guy told me that I'm too little to handle it... I was a little ticked after he told me that). Anyway, my twins are almost 7 months old & people ask us about it all of the time. I love it. I got last years model I think (it's red) now they are replacing it with a blue one with an IPOD doc in it. I also bought the extra adaptor on line for about $20.
    I put 2 diaper bags, another bag, and my purse underneath and still have room for things! It's great. I have a 2009 Chrysler Minivan. It fits fine in there. I leave it in there. I will start using the other seats that came with it when the twins get older or when WINTER is over!!!! I use the Chicco car seats they work well with it. Good Luck!!!!

14. rhc0607

I bought one today off CL for $95!! :woohoo: It looks brand new!

15. Momof2wonders

Brilliant!!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as i do!!![​IMG]

16. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Hooray for a great deal! Let us know if you like it!

17. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I have this and LOVE it! The only thing is it is quite heavy and I cannot lift it right now (pregnant) so we got a lighter side by side that I can lift myself. There are so many places I wish I had my Contours though because it turns SO easy and I have never had problems getting it through anywhere. I love that I can switch the direction of the seats. The kids are very comfortable in it. I did get the Double Snap N Go when they were little though because it was SO easy. LOL We had a lot of strollers! Anyway - we do still have it and we'll go back to it when my hubby is home (he's training right now). Also once the baby is born I'll probably use the Contours when I know we are going in certain stores. I'm planning on putting the baby in a carrier for who knows how long when I have to go out by myself. I thought about a triplet stroller but eeeks on the price! We'll just get a single stroller for him when my husband and I are out together.