Ladies with wooden floors

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ambernruby, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Hiya,

It seems that the babies are actually growing up, it's getting me thinking about how life will change once they are mobile. We have wooden floors throughout and don't have the space for a playard so i've decided i will babyproof the lounge and let them go at it but how are they supposed to learn to crawl on wooden floors?? I currently have a rug that they lay, roll and do tummy time on but it isn't big enough for two babies to learn to crawl on. What did you all use? TIA

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we bought interlocking foam mat squares.

http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Alphabet-Floor-Mat-uppercase/dp/B000HROS72

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Most of our living area is ceramic tile, but we have a thing area rug near the couch. For a long time the boys wouldn't crawl off the rug. Once they discovered it wasn't too difficult they were off! I kept them in pants with no socks most of the time.

4. divababy

divababy Well-Known Member

Since it's warm I take off their pants so their knees get traction on the wood. My DS just figured it out last week! He does better on the wood than on blankets

I bought the foam squares but they don't stay on that for long anymore. I mostly just use it on our roof deck

5. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

We didn't use anything. It was warm when they started to crawl/walk so they had bare knees which gripped the floor.

6. ambernruby

I love the alphabet squares!!! I think i'm going to see how they go on the rug while they are learaning and invest in some of the sqaures for when they venture further afield. By the time they are trying it will most likely be freezing here in the uk so i wouldn't leave them in just pants.

Thanx for everyone's suggestions :good:

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

My boys are not crawling yet, but they do get on their knees and also do this backward push around the room. The wood never bothered them.

8. bdhtwins

bdhtwins Active Member

we have an area rug on the wood floor, i usually have them in just onsie, they have had no problems crawling on the bare wood. i just worry about their heads on the wood floors...

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have nothing but wood floors in our house & they had no problems learning to crawl. I think they just get used to whatever you have & off they'll go!

10. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

We also have hard wood floors. I dont mind so much them crawling around my concern is when they fall - so I am looking around for a larger area rug - at least until they are a little more stable.

11. ambernruby

Hoepfully the squares will cushion the blow a little bit!! Gosh i hope my nerves can take it lol
    Thanx guys!

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

They can learn to crawl just fine on wooden floors. In some ways, it's better than carpet because they don't get rug burn. And even falling on them doesn't really hurt them. A stone fireplace, I would worry about. But not wood floors. They actually have a lot of "give" to them.

We did get those foam squares, but just for the area under the superyard -- and it was more to protect the floor from the kids than the other way around. :ibiggrin:

13. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

I have tile and wood floors. I bought interlocking mats from Sams Club......LOVE them!! They were only $22.00 for 8 2x2 squares. You can buy as many as you want and put them together. I put them down on half of my family room and another small area in my kitchen. They like being on it and when my brothers kids come over (2and 3) they love playing on it too. They are very sturdy. I had the alphebet one, but my DS started pulling it apart.

Here is a pic of them

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30174803&l=163ead87d3&id=1550190164

14. rumbo

rumbo Well-Known Member

We have an area rug in our living room but my dd who's crawling right now doesn't stay on it for long. Gosh, I thought you were going to comment on the dirty knees they get from crawling around - ha! Guess I need to mop more often!!

15. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

I bought the foam mat squares for my daughter too. They are so easy to clean... I just take them outside and hose them off when they get dirty. They also are great for catching them when they fall... better than the hardwood anyway.

16. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

Definitely get the foam alphabet squares. I recommend the ones from One Step Ahead. I bought cheaper ones for my older son and they were not as thick or big.

17. becky5

becky5 Guest

We have wood floors downstairs, where we spend the majority of our days, and they had no problems crawling on them!

18. ambernruby

Thanx everyone! I am sold on the squares!

:rofl: @ Rumbo!! Your secret is out, it sounds like you mop up as oftem as i do!

19. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

Mine get the filthy knees from it but otherwise we love the hardwoods for them. We have an old colonial and it is impossible to keep the floors clean no matter how we try. I have seriously considered putting the swiffers on thier knees before. If I could find a way to do it, I probably would. LOL
    Aidan found it easier to start walking on the hardwoods. It took him an extra 2 weeks before he would walk at the sitter's house because of the carpet.

20. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

[quote name='Charly's an Angel' date='21 July 2009 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1248202300' post='1399226']
    I have seriously considered putting the swiffers on thier knees before.
    [/quote]

:rofl:

Me too! I have tile, and for the longest time Nate would do his "gator crawl" instead of crawling on hands and knees and end up "sweeping" the floor with his onesie.

21. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in that I got a great deal on the foam squares on Amazon - same ones that I saw on One Step Ahead but cheaper. Mine will not stay on the mat nowadays though and crawl on the wood with no problems!

22. ambernruby

Oh wow your house looks like such fun, i think the girls will love it! Thanx for sharing and your children are beautiful by the way!

23. ambernruby

[quote name='Charly's an Angel' date='21 July 2009 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1248202300' post='1399226']
    I have seriously considered putting the swiffers on thier knees before. If I could find a way to do it, I probably would. LOL
    [/quote]

:laughing: Great idea, i think Rumbo should give it a try every now and then!

24. ambernruby

Thanx Fossie!

25. ambernruby

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='21 July 2009 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1248202989' post='1399244']
    :rofl:

Me too! I have tile, and for the longest time Nate would do his "gator crawl" instead of crawling on hands and knees and end up "sweeping" the floor with his onesie.
    [/quote]

Yiou have him very well trained :D

26. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

We had the foam alphabet squares - HATED THEM!! From 4 months onward, our boys took them apart and chewed on the pieces. On a couple of occasions their diapers had come apart/off and those kinds of messes are not nice on the foam, not to mention all the spit-up and puke that would get into all the crevices of the letters and grooves of the foam. I gave our mat away through Freecycle. Most of them say 3 years and up, I didn't believe that when I bought it because there were babies in the sample photo, but now I do. We got two 1-piece activity mats at Kohl's (watch for them to be 1/2 price):
    http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/toys/playmats/PRD~471902/Activity+Mat.jsp

I think our new mats are pvc, though, which is a concern due to pthalates, but the boys never slept on them and I aired them out a lot before using them. The mats are great for new crawlers and are portable for camping, the park, grandma's, whatever.

Now the boys roam freely around the house on the wood floors. We have the occasional mishap, but nothing major and those mishaps help the boys to learn. We don't use foam or cushion anything, we just keep cupboards locked, gate off the kitchen, and leave the boys to the rest.