Large lump on forehead

Discussion in 'General' started by 4jsinPA, Feb 20, 2013.

1. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be on my daughters forehead. It appeared out of the blue, causes no pain and is not soft at all...cannot move it around. Its on the right side of her forehead (left when looking at pic...ignore the face she was making, she was being crazy). We went to dr. She said its def not a cyst, it is a hard mass she feels is connected to the bone. She had no trauma to the head (she had a concussion 4 years ago and that was to the back of her head).
    She had a ct scan 4 years ago after the concussion which showed a prominent area where the bump now is but wasn't obvious to us back then. They did an xray and it was normal.
    They are sending us to a neurosurgeon to see what they think. I have no idea what it could be. Trying not be to be too obsesses about it but its hard when its her head and its getting bigger. Its been there for about 2-3 mos. Not there at all before. I know it looks discolored in the picture but I think that was just the lighting bc its not discolored at all in person.
    Picture

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

All our lumps have been after a head bonk. I hope you find some answers with the neurosurgeon. :hug:

3. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I hope the neurosurgeon will have some answers for you. I hope it's nothing to worry about, it looks like she bumped her head to me. Does it hurt if you apply pressure on it?

4. 4jsinPA

No, there is no pain at all when you touch it or press on it. She did not hit her head on anything. I was hoping that was it. She is a competitive gymnast and obviously could have bumped it without knowing it but doesn't recall ever bumping it. Hopefully it's nothing...

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You said that there was a prominent area when she got a CT earlier? I wonder if its not some sort of abnormal bone growth? Good luck with the neurosurgeon. Please let us know what you find out!

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know it's hard not to worry, but there are all kinds of reasons for lumps and bumps. One of my boys had a lump on his forehead that felt super hard for months after a bump on the head. Maybe a combination of the prominent bone area that you saw on the CT and a bump. Fingers crossed for you that it's nothing!

7. MNTwinSquared

When is the neuro appt?

8. 4jsinPA

It is Tues at 915. The crazy thing is that now there is another lump that has come up quickly on the other side of her forehead! I am wondering if it just how her forehead is forming, but why so fast and lumpy? I hope they have some answers.
    Here is a link to where you can see the other side of her forehead now coming out too.. (I swear I have pictures where she is making normal faces too! She is the one not wearing the tiara!)

9. 4jsinPA

Thought I would give an update
    Took her to the neurosurgeon. The dr said it is def not a bump on the head from getting hit, that she would have had to hit her head repeatedly in the same spot to get that kind of bump.
    Possibilities:
    Head is growing unevenly and will eventually catch up
    He is growing abnormally, when she is done growing or around age 18 we can take her to the cranio-facial surgeon and have them shave it down
    Could be something called fibrous dysplasia. He said that is what he is "kinda" leaning towards. Said if thats the case we will have surgery this summer to cut out the abnormal bone and replace it with bone from another area of her skull. Hopefully that is NOT it.

We are doing a 3D Cat scan of the brain. He wants to rule out a tumor and hopefully will give an answer to which of these things it is or isn't.

I am really hoping she just has an uneven growing skull!

10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Goodness. I hope she's just got a lumpy head, too. But everything sounds pretty manageable, so I'm relieved that you're getting some answers!

1 person likes this.
  11. MNTwinSquared

:hug: I hope you find some definite answers soon. I hope whatever it is, it is easy to have taken care of.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rollergiraffe

Oh man, I am hoping she just has an uneven skull! It sounds like he's being very thorough, which is great. Keep us posted on the diagnosis.

1 person likes this.
  13. 4jsinPA

Great update!!!

Had the cat scan and the bumps (there is one on both sides of her forehead) showed up as a part of her skull but nothing abnormal about them. Just the way her skull is growing. As she gets older and body fat % goes up, the fat on the forehead should cover up the bumps. So relieved its nothing serious!!! Thanks for all your support!

8 people like this.
  14. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Isn't growing up awkward? I'm so relieved that it's nothing. :)

15. Rollergiraffe

Great news! Glad it's nothing more than a "fun fact" about her.

16. MNTwinSquared

I am glad you got a good answer. Glad it's nothing to worry about!

17. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Great news. Thank goodness it was nothing more serious