lazy bones

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by becasquared, Sep 9, 2010.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Royce is lazy. He doens't want to ride his tricycle ever, he doesn't like to climb the stairs, he refuses to walk in the store always preferring to be put in the cart. He dilly-dallies, lollygags, whatever you want to call it.

Alice OTOH, is crazy (probably just typical). She's always go-go-going, she figured out how to ride her tricycle within the first minute of being on it and refuses to get off of it (screams when we make her come inside), loves to race to the top of the stairs, then starts coming down them, then back up them, wants to push the grocery cart. She gets angry when turn down the road we live on after school and even angrier when I tell her that she needs to go inside. (Then she runs to the top of the stairs and back and forth).

Is there a happy medium? I want Royce to be more swift (and listen to me when I tell him I need him to speed it up), I want him to want to play outside, either by himself or with Alice, and I want Alice to be happy inside!! Any suggestions? Anyone else have a lazy three year old?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two are not yet three but your Alice sounds like my Sophia and Royce sounds a lot like Luke. You can ask Luke if he wants to go outside, go to the playground, etc and the answer will be no. Luke also likes to be waited on and have people do things for him. I am trying to teach him to pull his underpants up and the response I get: "Too heavy, Mommy." I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I totally understand your frustration.

3. becasquared

Ahhh, the infamous "too hebby". Everything is "too hebby". Too bad "too hebby" doesn't work when I don't want to carry his butt up the stairs!!

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer, but you just described Sarah (Royce) and Amy (Alice) to a T.

The only reason I don't seriously worry that Sarah has an autoimmune disorder or celiac disease or something is that she can be plenty energetic when she chooses to be. It's just that it rarely coincides with me wanting her to walk someplace. :laughing: I'm still putting her in the grocery cart and she's almost 5! (She does like riding her tricycle, a little, but I usually wind up carrying it home and dragging her by the hand.)

FWIW, I mentioned this to a friend of ours who has a 5yo and 3yo, and she said her 3yo is the exact same way. I wish I knew what to do about it.

5. becasquared

Oh yeah, Royce is plenty energetic on his own terms.

Maybe this is his way of rebelling against my authority!!

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

No advice. I have two energizer bunnies who only slow down if the TV is on (and one insists on watching only if she is standing on her head :wacko:). But just because they're energetic doesn't mean they listen. Example Me: Do you want to ride your bikes? Them: NOOOOO! We want the wagon. Me, dragging wagon out of the shed. Them, NOOOOO we want to ride our bikes!!!!!!! :faint:

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Everything is too hebby for Ava also! Oh my goodness that kid would order a motorized wheelchair if she had a credit card! Addison is like Alice, there is NO stopping her and she would sleep in the yard if I let her! from the moment she wakes up until the moment she falls asleep she is go, go going! right now Addison is in the yard with her brothers playing football - Ava on the couch watching the Princess and the Pauper (a Barbie movie that she loves and the rest of us wish was never made) begging me to get up and make her some chocolate milk! I think it is just a phase that they are going through and we will probably see a change?

edited to add. When it comes to their tricycles, Addison peddles ALL over the place. She has put enough miles on that thing to have driven to China and back. Ava sits there and begs her brother to push her - if we can get her on it! I have 2 trikes same brand, same color, bought the same day one looks like it needs new tires - the other one looks BRAND new!

8. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Oye, I have the same problem but not as bad (yet?!) My dd is just like yours and runs around like crazy, always on the move! Jake on the other hand I always know where he is because he hasn't moved! He's the "stop and smell the roses" kid and loves to just kick back. I have no advice, just hoping one will rub off on the other. <_<

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids are a bit the same too... DS would watch tv all day if we let him, and DD always wants to be on the go, although DS can run around quite a bit if he wants to also.

I think it's just in their nature... What's annoying really is that 'they' keep telling over and over that tv is bad and kids need exercise, but you can't force a kid to exercise if they don't want to. I'm overweight because I'm that way too (never really liked exercise much!), and I'm worried DS will be the same down the road (they're adopted but I think their birthdad is a bit the same way too).

Not easy sometimes!