Lazy eye or cross eyed look in the morning

Discussion in 'General' started by AimeeThomp, Sep 22, 2012.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I have noticed that in the mornings a lot of times Lily appears cross eyed or like her left eye doesn't move as fast as her right eye. I have noticed it several times now. I think when she appears cross eyed it's b/c she is trying to move that left eye to match with her right, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I am going to call her pedi on Monday morning to find out where I need to bring her to get it checked but I was wondering if this is normal? Has anyone else experienced something like this? What had to be done?

I wear contacts but didn't have problems until around the age of puberty. However, my dad has severe eye problems and I know his started pretty early in his life and I wonder if it started with what appeared to be a lazy eye.

ETA: I just had her close her right eye and tell me what she can see, by holding up my fingers and she says she can't see out of her left eye at all. Now I'm very worried!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It sounds as if she may need glasses. I would take her to an eye doctor who can look into her eye and see if help is needed. She can do charts too if she is able (my kids from 3 on were able to do the pictures/letters). My twins both have had glasses since age 3 because of someone noticing Clayton's eyes doing the same thing as you are describing. My uncle is an optomitrist.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup. I'd take her to the eye doctor. It sounds like glasses to me as well. Both of my boys had lazy eyes. I noticed in family pictures Nicholas had a serious eye turn. So he got glasses. Anthony was tested but said it was questionable. So we brought him back three months later, and during that time, I noticed his eye was turning in a lot more. So he too needed glasses.

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would make an eye appointment. Make sure it is s pediatric opthomologist (or an eye Dr experienced with kids).

Sometimes with a 'lazy eye' the brain stops using the weaker eye as much-- which is why a lot of kids get 'patched'. OR it could be a stigmatism or weak vision in one eye, etc.

Get it checked out!

My eyes (both) crossed when I was young and even now when I get tired. I got prisms put in my glasses at age 6 and it helped a lot! It was simply weak muscles that turned in when I got fatigued. Not a big deal, but it needed to be addressed.

I also would snap picture or video so that in case it is not apparent at the Dr, you can show them. Especially if it mainly presents in the early morning or late day times (which is when you are not likely to have an appointment).

At age 5- many kids have to have an eye exam for school anyway- Our PreK and K classes do screening through the Lions Club every year. A lot of kids get picked up for eye Dr. that way! (it is a free community service in our area for all school children). Then the community school nurse does checks for 1,3,5 th grades once a year to screen basic vision for eyes and make referrals to eye Dr if needed. A lot of reading/writing/focus issues can occur when school starts and if they get detected- usually fairly easy to correct!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, I would take her to the eye doctor. Especially since she is saying she cannot see out of her left eye. Let us know how she does when you do take her!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I have a lazy eye and have issue with it when tired. It also acts up when drinking adult beverages. I'd have it checked just for piece of mind.

7. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

One of my twins had an eye turning out. He is severely far sighted. Got glasses. We ended up doing patching and finally surgery. He is doing awesome now.

Definitely go to a pediatric opthomologist if at all possible. They should be able to get the eye to go out during the exam.

It is actually recommended that all kids get eye exams by age 3. Some states now require eye exams before starting K although you can opt out.

8. AimeeThomp

I'm fairly certain they had eye exams at preschool last year. Regardless I am going to make an appointment next week to take her after we get back from vacation.

1 person likes this.
  9. AimeeThomp

Update: She is legally blind in her left eye. I am so glad I brought her. When they had her cover her right eye she could not see anything. I feel so bad about it, how did I not notice it sooner?

She got glasses with a lens for the left eye only. She will wear them for 6 to 8 weeks and then we go back to see if there's any improvement and where to go next.

I know it could be worse, but I hate thinking that she's blind in one eye.

10. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Wow :hug: hopefully it can be corrected. My eye sight is bad in both eyes so I've been sure to keep the girls checked. I'm sure she didn't know any difference so was compensating for not being able to see

11. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Can they correct the vision with lenses/glasses? Can she see color? Shapes? Or is it just so blurry everything is indistinguishable?

Legally blind is often determined if vision can not be corrected with glasses or contacts and/or is still 20/200 with corrective lenses.

Dont feel bad :grouphug: There is no way you would know!!!

I have a very very strong prescription. I got my first glasses in 1st grade and still to this day recall 'seeing'. I was amazed that trees had leaves! That everything was not 'fuzzy'!. My mom said she felt bad she did not take me to get my eyes checked sooner-- but neither she or I knew that anything was different than it should be until we went!

I am glad you went in. Knowing now is a good thing, you can see where you go next. There are a lot of resources out there if you need them!

:grouphug:

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: I'm sure that was a hard thing to hear, but at least you know now. I was oblivious that my kids needed glasses at 3 when I took them in because of someone else's observation. I hope the lenses help.

13. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Aimee, I'm sorry. You really would have no way of knowing.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Aimee, I am so sorry.
    My mother is legally blind in her left eye since childhood and has worn corrective lenses for years. The good thing is that you caught it now and there might be an opportunity for improvement in that eye.
    At her age, there is no way you could have known :grouphug:

15. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Oh Aimee! :hug: There was no way you could have known that. You took her in at a younger age than most kids ever go in! Now she'll be used to the glasses at young age. I bet she'll be adorable in her new glasses. Post pics when she gets them. :)

16. AimeeThomp

The doctor didn't talk with me about it until the end. And I'd brought both girls to get checked, and after 2+ hours they were getting really rowdy, so I've thought of more questions I want to ask...as I write this from my hotel bed on my vacation alone w DH. I got the girls in for this morning bc since I was off today anyway I thought "why not?" And now all I can think about is that eye.

So anyway, from what I remember, the lens isn't bringing her to 20/20, that's not possible right now. The point of that lens is to get the brain to start processing what she sees in that eye. Exactly how much it wIll get her brain to start processing we don't know right now. But no, the doctor said if we had waited until longer the chances would be greater that she would just remain legally blind in that eye permanently. I did freak a little when I heard the word "blind" and the doctor started to show me what exactly Lily sees, but the girls kept interrupting and all I remember is that she never showed me.

I knew at the beginning, when Amelia had tested for both eyes, and then Lily tested covering her left eye, and was fine, and then when she covered her right eye she just couldn't determine the picture on the screen and had to go up very close to the screen in order to tell the technician what she saw. I knew right then that it was bad. And I didn't want Lily to know how upset I was. So at that point my main focus was to not cry.

I have no idea if she sees colors and shapes but I am adding that to my list of things to ask bc now I want to know. I'm not sure exactly what all legally blind encompasses. I did notice that when they did what I think is a depth perception test (had them put on 3d glasses and point out which shape was jumping out) that Amelia was a lot more tested than Lily was. So that may mean she had depth perception trouble as well but I totally forgot about it by the end and forgot to ask.

Anyway thanks for the kind words, I'm going to try to stop worrying about this and enjoy my trip, and keep my fingers crossed that the lens really helps her.

Oh and they were definitely tested at school, and she passed. Scary!