Leaving children in the bathtub?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bridget nanette, Jan 1, 2007.

1. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Hi Everybody, I have a question. A few weeks ago I went to visit my friend who has a 3 year old. She was on the couch watching TV while her son was in the bathtub, by himself! I thought, "Oh my God, I would never do that!"

Then the other day, I went to wash the twins, and I forgot a washcloth. So I sat there debating if I could rush to the closet, just outside the bathroom door. Well, I did and I feel so guilty about it.

I guess I would like to know, when did you "leave your twins" alone in the bathtub? Have you ever had to quickly grab a clean towel or washcloth? What age is it ok to step away?

Bridget

2. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Hi Everybody, I have a question. A few weeks ago I went to visit my friend who has a 3 year old. She was on the couch watching TV while her son was in the bathtub, by himself! I thought, "Oh my God, I would never do that!"

Then the other day, I went to wash the twins, and I forgot a washcloth. So I sat there debating if I could rush to the closet, just outside the bathroom door. Well, I did and I feel so guilty about it.

I guess I would like to know, when did you "leave your twins" alone in the bathtub? Have you ever had to quickly grab a clean towel or washcloth? What age is it ok to step away?

Bridget

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Well-Known Member

I wouldn't feel guilty about grabbing something quickly but I would not leave them in the bathtub alone yet. I'm not sure when I think I would start either. I usually clean the bathroom while they are playing in the bathtub. So if it involves grabbing a mop, windex or the like I do it...but less than a minute is all I have left them.

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I think 3 is still too young. The most I do is like 30 seconds and that would be just to grab their towels.

5. lucky2

lucky2 Well-Known Member

I even freak out about grabbing a towel. I figure I would rather have them get a little less scrubed that night or let them drip across the floor than take a chance. I have kind of kids who will stand up if I even take one step away. DS stood up once, with both DH and me right there, and he slipped and ended up with a bruise on his cheek.

[​IMG]

6. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I had my boys in bath seats from the time they could sit up. Once they were over 2, they had shown that they would consistently sit and not try to get up (and honestly, I don't think they could get up), and I felt OK grabbing a towel or getting something from another nearby room for a minute. Had they not been in the seats, I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving at all.

7. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

I walk in and out of the room (my girls are 3 1/2)but never leave them for more then 30 seconds or so. Mostly because I am so afraid of getting distracted and forgetting that they are in there! (mama brain).

Also they are so active in the tub I am always afraid that they may bump their head or something so I don't leave them alone for long at all.

I am thinking maybe age 5 is about when I will be comfortable with a little more freedom.

8. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

I think it depends upon the child's ability as the parents know best what the child is capable of. I.e. my friend lets her 2-3 year old use adult sized scissors supervised and she does awesome. I would never let my kids but that is my thing.

I do not think I let dd alone in the tub for more than a few seconds to grab something until she was 4ish? Now the boys are very comfy in the tub already so I do not feel guilty running to get something quick. I would not leave them though for quite a while alone together. Two can get into MUCH MORE TROUBLe than one as all of you know [​IMG]

9. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

K&K were close to 5 before I left them alone in the tub. Now they take individual baths alot of the time so I do tend to spend some time outside of the bathroom with the child who is waiting or already been bathed. Prior to that I gathered everything together before turning the water on and would not leave for anything.

10. that1gyrl

that1gyrl Well-Known Member

I guess I'm right in the middle. My 3 year old does great in the tub alone, but I still check on him every two or three minutes. He is a singer so I would definitely know if something was up... [​IMG]

When my twins were around 4 months I had them in these really awesome bath seats. They are from overseas and they lean back and cradle the baby. They would lay there and just kick to their hearts content. I had forgotten to get a towel and our laundry closet is literally on the other side of the door. I got out a towel, and in the process knocked something over, leaned down to get it, put it back and went back into the bathroom. Literally, 30 seconds. Kyelan was under water.

He was kicking his little heart out and I scooped him up and he was fine, a little freaked, but that ended my 30 sec gotta get a towel days. I now bring a towel, diaper, washcloth, lotion and pj's into my tiny bathroom before I even run the water.

Trust me better safe than sorry. Until I felt comfortable with Kenney in the tub, I would read or cut coupons in there and talk to him. Sometimes we would read two or three bedtime stories in the tub. HTH

11. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

My girls are just over 3 and 1/2 and they bathe together and babble constantly as they play. They take baths for up to 45 minutes in the evening and I feel pretty confident about tidying the playroom (right beside the bathroom) and getting their beds ready (also right next to the bathroom) and checking in on them every couple of minutes. I usually take the opportunity to wash my face and clean the bathroom while they bathe. I remember when my girls were as young as yours, I was mortified at the thought of even leaving the side of the bathtub, let alone the room while they were in the bathtub.

I can't imagine leaving them to go and watch tv or do something out of listening range though.

[​IMG]

12. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We have a VERY small house and the bathtub is right next to their rooms. I can hear EVERYTHING. Also, my kids are really good about sitting down in the tub and they don't get too fiesty until it is almost time to get out. So with that said, I do not feel guilty if I have to run and grab a towel, or quickly go get the jammies out. But they are supervised and will be for some time. Like the pp, I clean the bathroom a lot of time!!!

13. bthom

bthom Well-Known Member

I usually clean up the bathroom or am right outside the bathroom the whole time they are in the tub, folding laundry or putting away a few toys. I don't mind going to the kitchen for a moment when they are in there but I would be very uncomfortable doing something else entirely. Now my dh on the other hand has a habit of walking away while they are in the tub b.c he says he can hear both of them splashing.

14. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by twoin2005:
    We have a VERY small house and the bathtub is right next to their rooms. I can hear EVERYTHING. Also, my kids are really good about sitting down in the tub and they don't get too fiesty until it is almost time to get out. So with that said, I do not feel guilty if I have to run and grab a towel, or quickly go get the jammies out. But they are supervised and will be for some time. Like the pp, I clean the bathroom a lot of time!!!

Ditto to Kate. I have no issue with running to grab a towel.

15. Shanonlee

Shanonlee Well-Known Member

I have a friend whos son is 2 1/2 and she cleans the WHOLE house while hes taking a bath! [​IMG]
    The only thing i do is grab their towels which is right outside the bathroom door.

16. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by bridget nanette:

Bridget

How terribly irresponsible of your friend!!!! [​IMG]

My twins are too young to be left in the tub. No, I wouldn't dare leaving their side even for just a sec!! This is when stuff happens. That one second.

I just recently started leaving Nicholas alone for a min when I have to get something for him and I still don't feel comfortable. And he is 6!

17. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I will leave the bathroom to grab jammies or a clean towel, but that's about it. They're never unattended for any extended period of time. When mine were in the bath seats I was especially nervous of them slipping into the water. I always bring the phone with me to the bathroom if I am home alone with them and their nursery is right next to the bathroom, so it's just a few steps away to grab a towel, diaper, clothes, etc.

18. ~*Twinmom22*~

~*Twinmom22*~ Well-Known Member

I leave my girls in the bathtub by themselves, but I am always in hearing distance. And, not for long, either. But I don't see what the worry is. I don't fill their water to maybe an inch and a half and let them play with their toys. I, or their dad, are always somewhere nearby.

19. ems9882

ems9882 Well-Known Member

my oldest is 3 and a hlf. i just now started giving him a little more freedon in the tub. he wont try and stand up so i feel comft. i will pick up the room right next 2 the bathroom or change on of the twins diapers while he bathes. i am always within leff than a foot of the tub b/c our house is so small. the longest ill go is a min or two and about every 30 sec or so ill yell his name and ask him if hes ok and he will say yes. but letting him bathe the entire time bye himslef NEVER. evena nd inch of wter thay can drownd in [​IMG]shame on your friend.

20. yvonneinoregon

yvonneinoregon Well-Known Member

quote:
    How terribly irresponsible of your friend!!!!

My twins are too young to be left in the tub. No, I wouldn't dare leaving their side even for just a sec!! This is when stuff happens. That one second.

DITTO!

21. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Up until age 2, I didn't leave the bathroom. Sometime last spring, when the boys were approaching 4, I would go next door to my office while they were in the tub. They enjoyed their bath more, and I can hear everything--they also know if they act up--bathtime is over. Now at 4 1/2 they rarely take a bath and prefer to shower.

When my boys were under 2, like many of you, I would have been apalled that someone would leave their kids alone in the tub, but now that I have grown with my boys, I can understand it--especially if it is a single 3 year old--kids imaginations tend to grow when they can play without trying to "perform".

22. KristineM+twins

KristineM+twins Well-Known Member

I agree with PP that it all depends on the child. Monica was always able to take a bath alone from 3 up. We lived in a small apt when she was little, so every room was practically right next to the bathroom. But she was always careful, and NEVER allowed to stand.
    Connor has been able to bathe by himself since 3.5. He is VERY loud in the tub, and he has a stool which he uses as a table, and so many toys that keep him occupied that he probably COULDNT stand up! LOL. But I always call out to him every few minutes. I have cushions on all the spiggots (SP?) and nice rubber mats (non slip baby!) and if he even stands for a second, then he is out of the tub.
    As for the twins, they are 19 months, and there is NO WAY i would leave them, not even for a second! They are so fiesty and try to stand all the time, so I just have Connor or Monica grab me something if I forgot it. If I have no cloth, I use my hands. And I also try to only bathe the twins when DH is home. Its just easier for me that way.

23. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I started leaving DD alone right before she turned 4. I just couldn't sit in the bathroom 30+wks pregnant with the twins anymore. Her bathroom is right next to the living room so I would sit on the couch right beside the doors and call out to her every few minutes (usually she was plenty loud enough to hear all the time). I try my best not to step out with the boys still. Brandon is now in the tub with the other 2 so it isn't safe. I have left DD in charge long enough to run and get a wash cloth or the phone, but if she isn't there I don't leave.

24. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I would never do what your friend did. But I could imagine leaving a 3yo in the bathroom by himself if I were in the next room or something and checking on him every 2 minutes.

Mine are 13 months, and I won't leave the room while they are in there (although I'll turn my back on them to grab a washcloth, so I guess if the washcloths were in a closet right outside the door, that wouldn't be much different).

25. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

My boys are 3.5 and I let them play in the tub without me. They still need help scrubbing their bodies and washing their hair, though, so they are not independent. I would never, ever, leave the floor they were on! Their bathroom is upstairs and I am very comfortable folding laundry in my bedroom (right next door to the bathroom) or tidying their bedroom (also right next to their bathroom). If I have to run downstairs for anything, I have my 8.5 year old watch them for a few minutes. I agree, though, that 3 is too young for the mom to be downstairs! [​IMG]

26. doubletroublesma

doubletroublesma Well-Known Member

My twins were 4 in October, and its just been since then that I will let them play in the bath while I do a few things close by. We are in a rancher, so all one level, but I always make them talk to me if I'm not in there, and I do check on them every few minutes (like every three LOL).

I have to say they are pretty good in the tub, I know pretty good dosent prevent accidents, but they like to wash down the tiles LOL. I would never think of putting them in the bath and do something like chat on the phone etc.

27. MellysLittleBoos

MellysLittleBoos Well-Known Member

My girls are three and I am usually in and out of the bathroom when they are taking a bath. Our apartment is small so I can be at the front door and still hear them in the bathroom which is at the other end of the apartment. While they take a bath I am usually gathering the pj's and diapers and getting things ready for them to go to bed. Most of the time my 5 year old daughter is in the tub with them as well.