Leaving the boys unswaddled

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ladybenz, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to have to separate them. :(

I've been leaving them unswaddled because they are starting to roll up onto their sides to sleep, and if they end up on their tummies, I want them to have their hands free. I put them at opposite ends of the crib so that they won't smack each other accidently.

So, I just went in to check on them and Roman had made his way across the crib and wrapped his arms around Joel in a big bear hug. Needless to say, they were both wide awake. And Joel was not liking the hug.

I love that they sleep in the same crib because I can keep them both in my room. If I separate them into two cribs they'll have to go in their own room at night. Which means I have to go to their room for all the night wakings instead of feeding them in my nice warm bed. :(

How old were your twins when you separated them if they slept in the same crib at first?

2. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

I seperated mine about 3.5 months. Justin was sick so I didn't want his sister too also. I was sad to seperate them but they actually slept better apart. Leah started STTN after that.

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls are still sharing a crib. When I unswaddled them I did it slowly, on fri I freed one arm, then the next fri I freed the other and so on. I have occassionally found my girls all 'cozied up' but for the most part they stay on their own sides and dont bother each other.

Hopefully you can find resolve!! I definitely know what you mean about breastfeeding them, we share a room and I just bring them into my bed for a few mins to feed them then put them back into their own crib, its so easy I am stillhalf asleep doing it!

Good luck!! :hug99:

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We separated them around 3 months. I have one lighter sleeper and one restless sleeper, so one was waking the other. Now that they are across the room from each other, they both sleep much better. Maybe once they get used to being unswaddled it will go better for you.
    But I know what you mean about them being swaddled and rolling around. DS rolls all over the place so we leave at least one arm free now.

5. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

Still sharing at 7 months.

I tried separating them for a nap last weekend. And Callie would not settle for her nap - she was screaming. I went in several times to give a paci and comfort, this usually works. So finally I wondered what would happen if I put Danny back in the crib with her. As soon as I laid him down next to her, she turned her head to look at him, and didn't make another peep. They both went to sleep.

6. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

I first started seperating them at naptime so they would get used to not sleeping together around 3 months. About a week later I seperated them for bedtime.....they kept scooting up to one another which was so sweet..until one would wake up screaming, startle the other one, and then I would have two crying babies.

7. bethsull

bethsull Well-Known Member

We separated at about 3 months because they would scoot into each other in the co-sleeper because of the wedge for the reflux. They slept MUCH better separately. We have the cribs positioned about 2-3 feet apart so they can see each other but I have a friend who puts her twins side by side with the cribs right next to each other.

8. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

we separated at 3 months ~ they are sleeping WAY better now that they are in their own cribs. we are still swaddling though ~ their flailing arms will wake them up every 5 minutes if we dont!

9. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We separated our guys at 4 months for the same reason. We did use a crib separator first but they started to run out of room that way. So we put the second crib up next to the other one. Good luck!