Lego sets

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by christinam, Dec 31, 2012.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

DS (7) got a few Lego sets for Christmas. Right now they're all separated in large baggies. It's just a pain. Do you keep them separated or into one big collection? I was thinking of making one big bucket with the instruction books with it. He would have to dig more to find pieces but so be it. Just curious what everyone else does?

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Separate in bags or bins by set with the instructions. At least it's how I would do it.

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

They usually stay separated for awhile, but then they eventually end up in one big bin. My boys don't want to be limited by the instructions/sets and often come up with really creative things by combining sets. Once they've been combined, it's much more of a pain to separate them. And really, what's the need unless you only want to build the thing on the cover of the box?

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

We are like Dielle. My kids make it one time, it stays together for a few days and then they make something new with the pieces. We have boxes for people, squares & rectangles, tiny pieces and then one for all the random pieces. I much prefer they use their imaginations rather than just build according to directions.

5. christinam

I'm thinking I'm going to get a bigger plastic bin and combine everything. That's after we build everything at least once. I'll keep the instructions so he can build the original if they want.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

All together

7. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

We have one of those Rubbermaid type chest things. It has three drawers and is on wheels. We dumped all their legos in the three drawers; no particular order of separation either.

My boys just inherited their dad's lego's from when he was a kid. They have a LOT of lego's now. Other than the first time with a set, they don't build what the boxes or directions have anyway. They make their own stuff and have a blast doing it.

8. christinam

I just need to get a bin and it's all being dumped together.

DD received Lego Friends for Christmas. I'm going to get another bin for the girly Legos since I plan to buy her more for her birthday.

That's the only way the Legos will be separated.

9. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i keep everything together in one bin with the instructions. if they decide they want to build per instructions, they'll find the pieces in there somewhere! :)

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We keep ours separated. But my son (who has at least 15 sets), likes to build them and then play with them, he doesn't break them back up again. I keep the leftover pieces in separate ziplock bags, and all the bags are in a storage container.

I'm kinda OCD about keeping that kind of thing separated. And I know for certain *I* would be the one searching for that one little itty bitty piece that they need to build the actual model! LOL

11. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

The goal in my house is to build the set as it is meant to be and then get it to last for as long as possible. Inevitably, they all fall and come apart to the point it cannot be fixed. They all know that Mom helps build once (and now that is only for my youngest) and then they are on their own. That said, last Christmas was the year of extravagant Lego wish listing and they had several $100ish kits between the 4 of them. Of all the kits 1 is still intact (DD's Hogwarts which is protected by threat of a 12 yo's wrath if touched by others). Needless to say, this year I did not let them ask for any Legos (don't worry my boys were not completely deprived, Santa didn't listen to me really well when I said no Legos). I cannot see spending big bucks on something they are going to destroy within months. They have enough random pieces to build entire cities if they want to make random stuff (thanks to DH's childhood Legos), so no need to spend $100 on a police station ever again.

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys currently have Lego City in the basement. They had a Lego birthday party this year. DH still has his Legos from when he was a kid(stored color coded in a 6 drawer chest on wheels), and dh's cousin works for Lego...and well...you can't help the employee discount. ;) Needless to say-it literally is a Lego City in my basement! There is a Lego table that has random legos in it. Then there is the chest of legos. And then there are two tables of legos filled with the forestation, poliCE station, a hospital, garage, castle, roads, vehicles, etc. It's nuts. It's a lego fanatic's dream! LOL! DH even kept all of the instruction booklets from his old sets. So we have all the booklets in a ziploc bag. When the boys start a new set(they got 15 for their birthday!), they put one bag in a foil pan of sorts and put it together. They are 5 and put most of the sets together on their own(mostly Anthony with no problems). He's done sets for 12+! Anthony really loves playing with the sets-like one would role play with dolls, etc, Anthony does with Legos. It's really neat. :)