Let's play fraternal vs. id

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by snoopytwins, Jul 15, 2008.

1. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I was told fraternal at birth. Two placentas (fused), two sacs. They look very different to me, and always have. However, everybody says the older they get the more alike they look. Now granted, they do have same blood type (O...wasn't much choice there me and Dh are both O), same hair and same eye color (they have green/hazel which is odd because I have very dark brown and I'm half Asian and DH has blue).

So...let's take guesses...for fun.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Smi...Jonassmiles.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Smi...sFathersday.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Smi...as135months.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Smi...as675months.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Smi...ar/HPIM0993.jpg

I honestly think they're fraternal but so many people ask how I tell them apart. Now, my baby A's (Lucas) face has always been more slender while Jonas's (my baby B ) has been rounder but as they get older that difference is less noticeable. Oh and in the younger pics...J's hair was longer in front until we cut it at 14 months.

You twin mamas will like agree with me and think they look like night and day! Oh well...hopefully it's entertaining (plus I love sharing pics of the boys).

2. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

They are ID!

From what I've seen on this site, one twin will carry their weight in their face a little different than the other. Womb position might have to do with that.

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I had to giggle, because they look even more identical than mine! Sorry, it isn't the opinion you wanted. THEY ARE SO VERY SWEET!!!!!!

4. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

No way sister!!! Those boys look WAY ID to me. They just have different head shapes, which seems to be pretty common with ID twins. My boys are ID (one placenta) and to me they look totally different but there are times when I have trouble telling them apart at a glance (they have different head shapes too). I just posted pictures of mine but they do look different in those pictures. I just had to look at them again, definitely ID! They are soooo handsome!

5. snoopytwins

Really?????

6. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I'm not good at this, but in that second-to-last picture where they're both pushing up on their arms, they look EXACTLY alike to me! (And sooo cute, too!)

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

They look ID to me. So cute too!

8. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

they look very ID to me!

D, w/Rianna and Justin

9. snoopytwins

Are you people serious? I've inquired about it before but never posted pictures and seriously questioned it!

They're teething has been off too...if that makes a difference...by about 2-4 weeks...does that matter? J has always cut his first, then L later follows.

You people are blowing my mind! I may have to get them tested...but DH and I clearly had no doubts when told fraternal and we never understand how people think they're id.

10. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Add me to the ID camp!

The pic of them on the play structure in their cute little hats...look they could be the same kiddo!

And they're adorable :)

ETA: My girls who each had their own sacs and placentas had very different head shapes at birth, Searra had stork bites between her eyes and they're DNA test confirmed ID...check out the avatar!

11. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I got mine tested because everyone here has been telling me they are ID. I should get the results today! I am 99.9% sure they are fraternal!

oh and btw!!! Yours are totally ID!!:) and Adorable!!!

12. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I think ID, too. My girls had separate sacs and two placentas, DNA test showed ID. Our teething has been a bit different too - either a different order or different time frames. I think you should get them tested - maybe we are all wrong!

13. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jul 15 2008, 12:50 PM) [snapback]877612[/snapback]
    I got mine tested because everyone here has been telling me they are ID. I should get the results today! I am 99.9% sure they are fraternal!

Sorry to hijack, but I hope you post the results as soon as you get them (b/c I think your guys are ID!)

14. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]My vote is for ID!!

They are adorable

April :)
    [/SIZE]

15. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ID without a doubt!!!

16. snoopytwins

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jul 15 2008, 11:50 AM) [snapback]877612[/snapback]

oh and btw!!! Yours are totally ID!!:) and Adorable!!!

You'll have to post results.

Now I really wondering about this id/fraternal thing...

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

They look very identical to me. I see a little difference, but that is probably personality coming through, not enough to say they are fraternal.

18. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

I also vote ID. They're adorable!

19. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

Yours look easily as identical as my identicals! Ours also have a slightly different head shape, but all of the features are the same....just like yours.

Oh, and Go Jeff Gordon!!!! :)

20. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

They look completely identical to me!!!

21. snoopytwins

QUOTE(BridgePort @ Jul 15 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]877663[/snapback]
    Yours look easily as identical as my identicals! Ours also have a slightly different head shape, but all of the features are the same....just like yours.

Oh, and Go Jeff Gordon!!!! :)

Ha! DH is a Gordon fan. Me...I'm a Jimmy Johnson fan. Love Nascar!

22. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

No one believes you when you say Frat cause it's soooooo not true.

This one is the give away

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/Smi...as675months.jpg

Totally ID!--no doubt about it.

Womb position effects headshape.
    Your boys have the same eyes, the same nose, the same mouth. If you don't believe me crop the pictures and try to guess who's eye it is, who's nose it is, etc. If you don't believe me, you can spend your money on the test, but boy oh boy you don't need to test those darlings are ID for sure.

Welcome to the club.

And of course you have no problem telling them apart, but not because they "look" different, you can tell them apart because they "are" different--even though they look the same ;) !

23. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

They are absolutly adorable.

I too think they are ID.

24. snoopytwins

I'm truly amazed that everyone has said ID...really I've never questioned it until recently just because I get so many comments when we're out.

I totally trust you ladies because I think as a whole you're very good at figuring this out...oy!

25. ChristinaB

ChristinaB Well-Known Member

QUOTE(snoopytwins @ Jul 15 2008, 04:35 PM) [snapback]877586[/snapback]
    I was told fraternal at birth. Two placentas (fused), two sacs. They look very different to me, and always have.

Remember, one third of identical twins have separate placentas. I think your twins are definitely in this category! But as a mom of ID girls, after looking at your pics, I can see why you'd not have any trouble telling them apart. They are certainly cute!

26. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

OMG they are totally ID! We were told our boys were frat to, we got them tested just to prove it to everyone else but........turns out we were the ones in for the surprize, they are ID.

erica

27. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

Totally ID is my vote as well. I would never be able to tell them apart!

28. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again... parents are the WORST judges of zygosity based on appearance. My boys tested ID (they were also di/di) and they have differences in their face/head shape (one oval, one round with fuller cheeks) so it is easy for us to tell them apart... although a bit more difficult if they aren't in the same room. One had more hair than the other at birth but that difference is gone now. Sound familiar? I think their eye color is a dead giveaway. To have both of them get the same shade of hazel and not be ID would be amazing. You really ought to test.

ETA: Mine didn't teethe the same either. There were similarities but it was different enough that those could have been coincidence.

29. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I vote ID, they look exactly alike! Very cute!!

30. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I would say ID. I've only ever seen one set on here where the mom asked and the results came back fraternal. Almost always if you have to ask, they are ID. Mine (see my avatar) you don't have to ask. ;)

31. LB

LB Well-Known Member

mine are a great example of Frat. I can tell yours apart but can't imagine they are frat.

32. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I have to say ID... they really, really look it! Please let us know what you find out if you get them tested!! :)

33. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

I say definitely identical! Mine are, we did a test. To me mine look completely different, but people who don't know us well always ask how we tell them apart becasue they are EXACTLY ALIKE! I did the DNA test through proactive genetics, got the link from a banner on this site. It was only like $60. I totally think it was worth every penny to know for sure!

34. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

100% identical, so have u sent for the text yet? please post when u do. They are gorgeous by the way.

35. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Identical! :) My sister and I are identical and our head shapes are different! I have a more rounder face I"ve been told! :)