Let's play fraternal vs. id

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by snoopytwins, Jul 15, 2008.

1. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

Your boys are absolutly adorable and definitly identical. They told me one placenta and a very thin membrane when I was carrying the girls and then after I had them they sent off my placenta and they said 2 fused placentas. I am not sure because the dr that looked at my results was not my regular ob and you could tell he didn't care. My ob was a doll. She was an identical twin herself and I loved her dearly. Anyway back on topic. My girls had different shaped heads and one's ears are a bit thinnier than her sister's. It is easier for me to tell mine apart the older they get because of personality. If they are not together it is harder to tell them apart.

2. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going to have tell DH the results of this question. He laughs too about the whole issue...how can you NOT tell them apart, when we're in public? I guess since they're ours, we can tell. I'll have to see about the test just to double check.

This is totally crazy and not at all what I expected. I thought you all would have thought fraternal without a doubt. Craziness. :eek:

3. AngieH

AngieH New Member

Also they look identical to me! I'm in the same boat that you are, mine are 21 months, and to me they look fraternal, 2 different sacks, and placentas, and doctor said fraternal But no DNA, and everybody tell me that is not possible and they are ID... Mine also have different head shapes. I guess now I will have to do the test to confirm to my self what kind of twins I have! ;)
    If you do the test post the results! And also they are adorable!!!

4. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me???? These sweet babies are identical!!!

5. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Meximeli @ Jul 15 2008, 10:21 AM) [snapback]877682[/snapback]
    And of course you have no problem telling them apart, but not because they "look" different, you can tell them apart because they "are" different--even though they look the same ;) !

This is so true! Ours are so obviously different to me, to the point that I sometimes wonder if they're identical (even though I know they are). But when I try to verbalize the differences to others, they just look at me like I'm crazy. I can't really describe what is different; I just know it when I see it!

6. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

They look nothing alike to me...are you sure they're brothers?

;)

7. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

I think ID too.
    My girls have different head shapes and are easy to tell apart (for us). But they are definetly ID since they had shared placenta and ttts. Sam was baby a (head down and "thinner" face). Syd was baby b and she has a wider face (further set apart eyes). I think Sam's head got smooshed closer being head down in my pelvis for so long. And Syd's head grew diffferent. It's very common it ID. That's how I tell most of my friends IDs apart. I learn who was baby a (if he/she was head down) and usually that baby has a slimmer face with eyes set closer together. make sense?

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(snoopytwins @ Jul 15 2008, 03:26 PM) [snapback]878092[/snapback]
    Well, I'm going to have tell DH the results of this question. He laughs too about the whole issue...how can you NOT tell them apart, when we're in public? I guess since they're ours, we can tell. I'll have to see about the test just to double check.

This is totally crazy and not at all what I expected. I thought you all would have thought fraternal without a doubt. Craziness. :eek:

My DH and I have this same conversation. My DH swears they aren't, but I'm not so sure. We have no idea if ours are ID or not b/c no one could tell based on u/s or pathology reports. So we just have to wonder, however, no one can ever tell them apart in public so I keep saying they are and he keeps saying they aren't.

9. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I always laugh when parents of clearly ID babies note tiny differences they perceive - and then claim the kids are frat. C'mon people! Tiny differences does not = frat.

10. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Meximeli @ Jul 15 2008, 12:21 PM) [snapback]877682[/snapback]
    If you don't believe me crop the pictures and try to guess who's eye it is, who's nose it is, etc.

What a great idea! I think I'll have some fun with pictures of my boys to play who's who with my family.

By the way, my vote is ID for your two as well.

11. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I just cropped 3 pictures each of my boys...just their eyes and noses. My husband was wrong EVERY single time. You'll have to try it with your boys. LOL I'm still laughing.

12. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

I think the cutie patooties are ID....especially when I have fraternals that look like brothers but, NOTHING similar like yours.

13. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Wow, I vote for ID too. Guess it's time to have them tested.

14. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pamallhoney @ Jul 15 2008, 05:46 PM) [snapback]878322[/snapback]
    Oh my gosh, I just cropped 3 pictures each of my boys...just their eyes and noses. My husband was wrong EVERY single time. You'll have to try it with your boys. LOL I'm still laughing.

I did that once! :)

Mine were di/di, and I was sure they were fraternal. They aren't. They also have slight differences in face shape and now Aaron is taller. I wonder why people can't tell them apart, but trust me, nobody does. They look very different to me, but my sister who sees them all the time still has no idea!

Oh, my vote is definatly ID. After five years here on TS I only know one Mom who got a fraternal result. If you wonder and have the test done, more than likely they will be ID...

15. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

ID ... for sure ! :) Such beautiful babies !

16. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

oh they are definately ID to me too. they look so much alike. watch out doublemint twins lol

17. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

My boys are fraternal. Yours look identical to me (and cute). I know that some identicals can have their own sacs, etc. I wouldn't be able to resist springing for a DNA test if I were you.

18. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

Not only do they look identical, they are incredibly cute!

19. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

I totally vote for ID...cute pics!

20. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

I vote ID, and they are really handsome little guys!!

21. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

They sure look identical to me!! The are adorable little boys!!

22. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Jul 16 2008, 04:53 AM) [snapback]878871[/snapback]
    They sure look identical to me!! The are adorable little boys!!

Ditto!

23. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Well...thanks everyone for your unexpected responses! To clairfy...I was not soley under the impression that they were fraternal because of differences in their appearance. My doctor told me fraternal because of the fused placenta (and he did note nothing is 100% without the test), but when combined with the differences in their outward appearance, I never had a reason to really question that until recently (when so many people would comment on them looking so much alike). I just thought they look like brothers...not id...KWIM.

Told DH what y'all had to say and he said we'd spring for the test after we finish buying a few more things for baby.

Thank you all for your input and the compliments...I tend to think they're pretty cute too.

24. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

They definitely look ID to me!

25. raptwins

raptwins Well-Known Member

I vote ID here too! Ours always looked different to me - Joe longer, leaner face and Jake fatter face with a slightly larger head. Separate placentas, sacs, everything but the DNA testing says ID :) Good Luck! Let us know!

26. Alli Baby

Alli Baby Well-Known Member

Add me to the ID camp! Can't wait to hear the official result!

27. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

I have to place my vote for ID, too.

Cody and Jenner have different head shapes, too. Jenner had a pointy ear when he was born (because of the way he was squished up inside me) and they have always had about a .5 to 1lb difference in weight. So to us, they look very different.