Let's see your unidentical identicals!

Discussion in 'General' started by jjzollman, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

And they are the oldest too aren't they? So that means they have had more evironmental exposure (life) to bring out differences in them.

2. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I agree that when they are dressed alike, it sorda makes them look more ID.

Here is a pic of my girls are nine months in different clothes.

9 Months

Pam- Your boys look so ID in all those pics!! They were di/di right?

I wonder if being di/di versus mono/di or mo/mo makes a difference in how ID they look or if that has absoultely nothing to do with it. I would just think that the egg splitting early versus later could affect those small characteristics that make us believe our twins are frats??

3. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I don't know about the momo vs. di/di, but I do know that identical twin girls tend to be more different than identical twin boys for the following reason: x inactivation. Here is an article that explains this better than I can: link to short article. Basically, each cell can only have one X chromosome active in it. In girls, each cell gets an X from the father and an X from the mother, so one has to be turned off (in boys they only get one X, so each cell in each twin is going to be identical genetically). This explains why female identical twins can have different health conditions, and probably also explain a lot about how they can look more different than alike.

4. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I'd never heard of this before. I love learning new stuff about ID and genetics!!

5. bia2

bia2 Member

Well, I have no idea if this is correct but I read somewhere that the sooner the egg splits the more alike the twins will become. But as I said....this could be bull**** :)

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Very interesting, Ellen. That had never crossed my mind before. Thanks for sharing that link! :)

7. CWatsonJr

CWatsonJr Well-Known Member

This is fun looking at all the identical twins. I can see differences in all of them but I think that Nikki's and Kims's look the closest so far.

I am so glad to hear others say that Dave & Mike don't look identical. It is so refreshing after having teachers, coaches and relatives say they can't tell them apart... I just keep telling them... "LOOK at them." We were completely floored when we found out they were identical and now the boys say that we lied to them for the first 12 years of their life! :rotflmbo:

Anyway, fun pictures... I hope they keep coming.

8. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a very interesting article and explains a lot when considering my ID girls. One looks more like her dad and the other looks more like me.

thanks for sharing

9. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

Let me try Ellen, for old time sake :)

10. Ellen Barr

You're too good, Michele! The only time you ever messed up was when they had their heads completely covered with their sweatshirt hoods :laughing:

Here you go (but I'm pretty sure you'll get them):

Boys and Kittens

11. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

First off they are way too handsome!!! (the kittens are so cute too!) Hmmmm I think it is harder with the similar hair styles I am going to have to go with Kiko in green and Sam in white????

12. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Cliff, I am also one who thinks your boys, although very handsome, do not look identical. I can see why you would have been surprised to find out they are identical.

13. Ellen Barr

Michele!! Noooooo!! You must have mistyped. It's a first, ladies and gentlemen, Michele has failed to correctly identify Sam and Kiko. But, thank you for proving my point: with the same haircut, my boys are REALLY hard to tell apart.

14. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

Grrrrrrrrr you know after I typed my answer I looked at some old photos and knew I was wrong, but it was too late!

15. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what they all say! :p