Let's talk about how freaking cold it is

Discussion in 'General' started by ECUBitzy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is it just me or does anyone else hear "polar vortex" and think "Day After Tomorrow"? :pardon:

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Ours never burst, but our bathtub/shower drainage pipes freeze at this temp. So we have standing water in the shower until it drains. I think it's the location of those pipes (second floor in a little overhang. When we remodel the other bathroom, we are going to add more insulation (pipes for both in same wall).

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Stephanie, have you heard anything more about your water heater?  I am sorry it's broken :(

Rachel, yes, my DH and I were discussing that polar vortex makes us think of that movie, especially when they had a scene of Philadelphia buried under snow (not that the snow is that bad here at all, most of it is melted) :laughing:

Kristi, that is a great question.  I wonder the same myself.  Our temps are usually pretty moderate here, so hearing of people with pipes bursting due to the cold around where I live is rare.  

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I love the term polar vortex. It just sounds so sinister!

I should also add that it's officially winter to me, now that I've slipped on black ice and fallen on my butt. All 3" of snow are melting and freezing at night over here. Good times.

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We are on day 4 of school being closed! 10-12 inches of snow on Sunday, followed by real temps of -15 (with windchill -45) on Monday and a tiny bit warmer on Tuesday ( -10, windchill -25), finally in the 20's today...but roads are a disaster!!

Good news is it is supposed to be 45 this weekend!

Crazy weather!!

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Nothing yet, Nancy.

This weather is unheard of in NC and nobody was prepared for it. My pipes freezing is unfortunate, but unpreventable. My water heater, though? That's a design flaw (the unit is rated to -20!) so I'm pretty stressed.

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We had to take precautions here to keep the pipes from freezing, which at first I asked why?  It's not that cold?  But like others mentioned, they don't build the houses here in Florida to handle these kind of temperatures.  We are supposed to be warming back up to the 60's over the next few days!

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Be careful; you might not notice that they burst until everything thaws! My best friend's house flooded this way; it was -40 when her pipes burst and when we had a Chinook a few days later and it was +5, water, water everywhere.

9. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

My kids are NEVER going to go back to school.  They were supposed to go back Tuesday and still are not back!!  The roads are so bad it is like driving are gravel because they just cannot get the compacted ice up. 

10. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Are you in Indiana?

11. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be 73 here on Saturday!

GREAT NEWS, they're replacing my water heater free of charge!!!! Yaaaayyyyyyy!!!!! Now to get it installed...

5 people like this.
  12. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

:Clap:

My poor mom and dad. It was still -28 in northern WI when I spoke to them this morning at 7 am. Warming up today though.Maybe they will unthaw a bit.

13. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is great news!  I hope you get it installed quickly.