library story time

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by tri159, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

Hello All!

I'm just trying to figure out some new outings to do with my girls. Its always just me alone with them, so we're kind of limited. I was wondering at what age you all started going to storytime at the library? (and when it went well!) Would you take them alone? My girls just turned one. I love to read them stories, but lately storytime at home is horrible. All the want to do is climb all over me and rip the book out of my hands and try to eat it or tear it apart! Inevitably it ends in breakdowns from both of them as I try to keep order and keep them from destroying the books. Even giving them their own books to play with while I read one doesn't seem to help. Not sure how they would behave for storytime in a public place, whether they'd act the same or be a bit shy and more reserved.

Also - kind of unrelated - would you take your 1-year-olds to a splashpad by yourself? Is it safe?? Mine are crawling and pulling to stand, not walking yet...

I guess I'm just sick of feeling like I can never go anywhere or do anything because my husbands always working and I'm all alone.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm...my boys were just under two years old when we started going to story time. And they were WONDERFUL. I was soooo worried about their behavior. The storytime was for 2-3 year olds. My boys did very well-especially seeing how they were the youngest. AND-I also had my infant daughter with me...She was probably three months old when we started going-and I went solo-with three kids. You can do this! I'm a firm believer in you will never know unless you try! And new scenery may help!

As for the splashpad, I'm still hesitant on going to the waterpark solo, as well as a park. That's mainly because there are three of them, and Annabella is now walking-so it's a whole new ballgame!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it was around 20 months or so, when we went to storytime by ourselves. Mine are 2.5 and I don't think they could do a waterpark alone with just me, mine like to run off in different directions still.
    If my two weren't really walking well though, I might have given the splash pad a try because at least it would be easier keeping them by me. Good luck!

4. dwerling

dwerling Member

I started taking my girls around a year old, so they've been going for about three months now. Storytime is easy going around here, and they expect the babies to walk around and not sit still. I would also add that the storytime room is that--a contained room, so I never worry about "losing" them or them wandering off.
    I also take my three year old son with us, and the favorite part for all three of them is when they bring out all the tubs of toys for free-play at the end. It's a lot of fun...you should try it, you can do it! I think my girls get a little stir crazy b/c we are at home a lot, and I can tell they really enjoy being out and about.

5. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

Mine are 17 months now and we haven't been able to make it to story time yet because it's during their nap. We do however go out to the park and have done so since they were about 1 year. At 12 months we were going a max of 3 times a week but now we go 5 or 6 times. We're just now getting to the point though where they will consistently follow the directions I give them to "stop", "stay close", "go to the swing", "slide", etc. I try to take them when there aren't a lot of other kids/families around (early morning) so that it is easier to manage. Oh, and I only take them if they're rested and fed. Since we're lucky enough to have sevaral playgrounds within walking distance I just take them to those places. Other twin families in my area go to specific parks that are gated or they take them to enclosed tennis courts to run around. We've never done it, but it sounds like a good idea. Mine have really enjoyed watching the older kids play.

7 months ago I was going crazy being couped up inside.... but it gets A LOT better!!!

6. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

We havent tried story time yet cause its right in the middle of their nap. I have taken them to they Y to swim and it is a bit difficult. Try and take a friend to help you. Mine go in different directions, but we do go and make it through. Its not exactly relaxing!!LOL Mine are 14 months and walk really well, we also go to the splash pads at the parks and they love that. We stared going there when they were barely walking and one was still crawling. He actually just got up on his feet and hands so his knees wouldnt touch the ground! It was really funny to watch! He wanted in that water BAD!!

7. kminott

kminott Member

I agree with PP's I think a water park without a helper would be tough. We do a lot of playgroups, my favorite one is the multiples one I do with the twin moms from my birthing class, because we understand you can't keep your eyes on both kids all the time so we help each other out. I always do playgroups in each others homes or fenced yards so we can make sure we can still talk to each other without worrying they are in the street. If you don't have a group of mom's you can get together with, try looking for groups on meetup.com Our Mom's by Faith group is on it and we have a blast! GL

8. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

We started around 15 months old going to a storytime at the library.
    It was a program designed for newborn-2year olds. The librarian leading it
    can really make or break it.
    We tried another storytime for 18 months and up, and it wasn't the right fit.

so keep trying until you find what works for you. Having an activity that is free that
    is Inside is wonderful! Especially those rainy or cold/winter days.

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We did not do library time until I was certain that it would hold their attention and they could sit and listen. For us it was at the 2.5 to 3 mark before I started taking them to things that required attention span of any sort (movies, storytime, etc). As far as a water type place, I honestly would not have attempted it at that age. One, because there was no way that I could 100% be sure that I could take care of both if one decided to crawl off, and two, at that age a small pool in the backyard was just as much fun for them without all the hassle and safety concerns of being at a pool or waterpark by myself. I also agree with pp, try to find some sort of multiples group or playgroup that you could join that would give you and the babies interaction, it will definitely save your sanity if you are anxious to get out and about.

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We went today for the first time. My kids cried when we walked in the room, but they did well after that. There were songs and stories and it was very interactive. There is no story time for August at our library, but we will definitely go back in Sept. The age range was 18 months - 3 years.

11. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies everyone! Seems like there is quite an age range, and of course it all depends on the individual kids. I guess I'd have to call my local library and ask what the ages are, if its in a contained room, what time its at, etc. to see if its even appropriate for us. I haven't done that yet, wanted to get a feel from you all first.

As for the splashpad...well, we went on the weekend. First time I was with a friend and her 2year old. It went well, the girls were occupied watching him and didn't move around much. There was a lifeguard too. Second time I went alone. Again there were a few other kids that kept the girls' attention while they were there so they didn't venture too far. That all changed when everyone left and it was just us and the lifeguard. Then the girls were crawling all over. I kept them close to one another, BUT there was one time when I was moving Kate and turned around to find Izzy crawling into the deeper water and was up to her neck. That scared me, so I don't know if I'll go alone again. I know the pool in the yard is good enough at this age, just wanted a bit of adventure and something new! My girls also really like to put their faces in the water..they do it in the bathtub and in their pool...I think sometimes they are trying to drink and sometimes trying to blow bubbles. I find it scary too...anybody else have 1year olds who do this??

Thanks again for all your replies!!!
    Melissa