Lice and B-Day party-HELP!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Specky, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I'm really hoping you ladies can give me some perspective!

My boys birthday party is this Saturday and I'm really torn...

ONe of my dear friends just informed me her daughter was found to have lice this week.
    She said she treated her with Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner (let sit for 20min), and won't let her back in her room for 2wks...(did wash all her bedding and her coat in hot water and dried for 1.5hrs), but nothing with stuffed animals, rugs or couches.
    She said she combed her (blonde) hair with a 'teasing' comb, not a 'nit' comb.  I don't even know what that is.

She started her conversation off by saying "I'm really irritated at my sister, I'm curious to see if you feel the same way she does."  Basically she is saying she didn't see any live bugs or eggs in 2 days (she hasn't checked her head today yet).

So she then asked me if it was ok if her daughter could come to the boys party (held at a local gymnastic facility).  She said she wouldn't even consider sending her if she say any live bugs or eggs.

It's been so long since I've had to deal with this, I'm having a hard time finding any current information.  Other than kids can go to school with lice and school rn's don't check anymore.

My gut is telling me to wait about 10days to truly see if any eggs were missed.  I am just feeling really responsible to the other guests.  I love this little girl and will be really sad if she misses the party, and I know my friend is going to be pretty angry.

Please give me information, I'm having a hard time seperating emotion from what I should do.

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate it!!
    reb

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Generally, once treated, they are good to go(wash stuff immediately in contact with, etc). Once they are treated with shampoo(I treated my daughter with mayo), they go back to school and that kills any live ones and eggs. In 7-10 days, if you see live ones, you can treat again(with the OTC shampoo). Not before is my understanding.

Honestly-there could be kids there who have lice and you don't have a clue about it, and they may not either. I'd have her at the party. We just went through this in September with my daughter, and me right before I went in for surgery.

Oh-and combing is imperative. You need the special lice comb though because it's metal and it gets the out. Those suckers stick and are impossible to see!

3. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks Meaghan!
    I think that is my concern, the combing...not knowing if she got it all.  I guess I"m just really torn, I understand people there could have it and I not know it...but I do know it.  If it were just me, I guess I wouldn't care so much, but I'm not sure about the other parents.

How important is it to get the eggs??  If she still has eggs how catchy are those.  And the CDC says that nothing really kills the eggs, you need to comb them out.
    THanks again for your feedback!

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know how catchy it is to get eggs...my understanding is it would have to be a live one in order to catch it.

Load your kids up with tree oil and spray them with hairspray and keep their hair up.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I don't think the eggs are catching. If you think about it, the eggs can't move and leap to another person. It's the live bugs you are worried about.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd leave it to your friend to make the call. If she feels that her daughter's been treated adequately then that would be good enough for me.

7. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

I think it is ok for her to attend. The eggs don't spread and if there are live bugs, they have to crawl in order to spread to another head.

8. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone!