Little Gym vs. My Gym

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lisala, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Lisala

Lisala Well-Known Member

I am planning on joining either "My Gym" or "Little Gym" and I've signed up for trial classes at each place.

DD is walking fine and just beginning to want to climb, although she's unsteady.
    DS still crawls, though he will pull to standing and furniture cruise, walk behind one of those push thingies, etc.

I want something where they will have dancing and movement for DD and aren't expected to sit still for long periods of time, but I don't want DS to get bored if he can't really participate in the activities like the walkers can.

If anyone could give their opinions on either of these places, I'd really appreciate it.

Also - if you had to take both kiddos by yourself, how did it work out in the class? Did others offer assistance if you needed it (ie., one kid going one way, the other kid going another way...) or were you left to just fend for yourself?

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I haven't been. I peeked into My Gym once and it looks like a TON of fun!! I'm guessing the "teachers" will help you!!

3. Disney747

Disney747 Well-Known Member

I take the boys to MyGym and we LOVE it. I really needed 2 people to go and one gets each kid. But my boys are VERY active and now at 3yrs old I can barely do it on my own. The teachers do try to help out, but they have activities for all the kids to participate in and can't always help. When I first called the instructor said I could do it by myslef, but then the next person said I would really need 2 people. And I really do need to for them to get everything out of it. A ew times I do go by myself and it isn't pretty. The instructors do try to help and take one kid during the circle times, but they always don't want to leave mommy. Then again when DH is there they both want me also.

They are structured, but lots of free play also. So noone ever gets really board. We started to go when the boys were about 20months old. They start off with circle time and do 'streches' and have everyone tell there name (as best they can). Then do a practice move that can be a roll, stand of some sort, a handstand for the kids to try. Then a song and dance around the circle. Then free time for the kids to explore the room. Every week they change all the equipment so there is something new and different. Like the bal pit will be in a different area and have a new way top get into it. THey will have 3 activities for the kids to try, but they also will be doing the free time at the same time. So if a kids want to try they can or just play. Then they will do a puppet show and maybe song. And they get a stamp on their hands when they get their socks and shoes on to go home.

From what i understand the instructors are all trained and have to go to California (I think) to get the training. Our gym doesn't have a big turn over. Most are highschool age kids who have been there for a year or more.

4. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

We just recently join with "My Gym" after doing a trial class at 15 months old. I called and told them that I have twins and will be needing "keeping an eye" either of them if I needed the help. They have 2 instructors per class and usually one of them will keep an eye all around the room.

The program is structured but allow play time. The activties is to teach them to balance, going on the steps, how to throw the balls, and etc. The instructor does puppet, specific exercise (we take turn), swings, toys to play, exercise movement, and sing.

We also have "GymQuest" in our local area but they were more gymastic for older sibings. Even though they have open play for toddlers. "My Gym" is perfect for toddlers to learn to walk, run, and help with physical. Rianna has trouble walking and lose her balance. With the class I am hoping she'll improve over time and will continue to take the class after 10 weeks. It is for them to get out of the house and run around freely. We have a single famiy home but at this age 15 mos and up are starting to want to climb, run around, and etc.

They LOVE it! We have class at 9:15 AM every Monday for 1 hour with 10 weeks. Of course, my daughter, Rianna would "clue" that she is tired and lay down by the entrance area. It mean that she had a good run around. Justin doesn't want to leave the ball pit.

We got fortunate to get a good discount, it is a bit pricey but they are well worth the fun to watch them.

Go and see it for yourself -- free trial class! Have Fun!
    Diana w/Rianna and Justin

Tip: Don't put your boy in the ball pit until closer to finish the class. He cried and want to go back in there.

5. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

Another My Gym fan here. We started going when the girls were 18 months old and they love it. They just started a class this session without parents. In the past, if I have gone by myself, the teachers have helped so it was never a big deal. Also, they give the second child a 50% discount which is great.

6. JoyX2

JoyX2 Well-Known Member

We took Mommy 'n' Me classes at Little Gym when the boys were a year old. We had tons of fun, but it was expensive, and unfortunately we had to stop because we could no longer afford to go. The teacher would blow bubbles for them, walk them accross a balance beam, let them play on an inflatable bounce-house type thing, we sang songs, played drums, rolled balls back and forth, did all sorts of fun stuff. I miss our Little Gym days. <sniff-sniff>

Jamie

7. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

I found a couple of the instructors in the MY Gym class we took were to sociable, i.e. talking with the parents rather than working with the kids. Then those parents who were talking weren't paying attention to what their kids were doing. The class I was able to go to was a mix of a younger class and an older class, and I feel that the activities that they did would be too low for my girls now (the only time I can take them is during this mixed class time) so I didn't sign them up again.

I've seen My Gym clips on youtube, and it seems like other centers had better instructors.

8. dmoden

dmoden Well-Known Member

I think both places are great, but my preference is My Gym!! Having said that, my girls take classes at The Little Gym because it's just closer to my house (this will be our 3rd or 4th session)....but I had their 2nd B-day party at My Gym because it's such a great place, and they do AWESOME parties. My personal feeling is that My Gym is better for the younger kids....it's not just balance beams and gymnastics kinda stuff like Little Gym (althoughLittle Gym does music and bells/balls/hoola hoops too!). My Gym has the Ball pit, slides, swings, trampoline, zip-line, and they do puppets and separation stuff too. I'm a huge My Gym fan, but really do like The Little Gym, and my kids love both places....you really can't go wrong. In terms of managing both kids, it really depends on your instructers, and the size of the gyms by you. Hope this helps.

9. Lisala

Lisala Well-Known Member

I really appreciate all your responses. It sounds like both are great, but I can tell just from reading here that the key really will be the instructor and class size. And I guess you don't really know what you are 'getting' in terms of that until you sign up for the specific class? I admit, my big worry is going solo with both of them.

I called both places and when I mentioned I would be coming alone with twins, both places made a point to tell me that the instructor usually is not able to 'help out' with multiples, that they are just too focused on running the class overall and that it's "better to have another adult come along." Well, gee, why didn't I think of that? <_< :rolleyes:

Shayla is really sociable and has no qualms tottering off on her own, but doesn't quite understand danger or her own limitations - but Dylan sticks closer to mommy and I just don't know how I would manage to keep track of Shayla - once again, this is one area where people with singletons, or kids at very different ages/developmental stages, have it much easier. I could very easily see myself going crazy and not really enjoying the experience with the kids - or worse, one or both of them not enjoying it. :wacko:

I'll report back after each trial class and let you know how it went. Wish me luck! lol!

10. Lisala

Lisala Well-Known Member

Well, we went to Little Gym this morning and to be honest, I thought it sorta sucked. Or rather, for the age my kids are it sorta sucked. We did a warm up where they had to do a "forward roll," then played with two sticks clacking them together, then free explore time, then bubbles, that was it. There is NO way I could take them on my own - Shayla was all over the place but still a bit wobbly so she could not be left to her own devices to explore, but Dylan was shy and since he's still a crawler, there wasn't much for him to do unless I was taking him around to the various stations. I definitely can't see it being worth $410 (per kid!!!) - even if it is for 20 weeks. Maybe when they are older and can really get into the various gymnastic-like equipment it might be a better fit.

So, that leaves us with My Gym trial class next week. I hope it's better.

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 7 year old just went to a b-day party at My Gym today. While I was there I asked about me coming alone with the twins and they sounded totally fine with it. I personally would not expect the teacher to help me out. My Gym is also right now having unlimited classes. So you sign up for the one class and you can attend any other age appropriate class you would like, you just have to call the day before to be sure there is room.

I am signing my two up for the session starting Jan. 28. and I will be going alone with them.

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Lisala @ Jan 19 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]580052[/snapback]
    I definitely can't see it being worth $410 (per kid!!!) - even if it is for 20 weeks.

Yikes, per kid?? My Gym has a twin discount 50% off the second class for the twin. :)

13. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

We do Little Gym (they are 3) and I would not spend the money on any classes younger than that age. In the "Funny Bugs" class they are in, they are "learning" alot of skills. Bars, balance beam, mat tumbling and socialization since I sit outside of the classroom. For us, it has been a good choice. Although I did do a parent / child class there and it was lame and so not worth the money. HTH