Long closed cervix with funneling at 22 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jewels707, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

I am new to this forum and have been looking around on this site and it is great! I am hoping some of you twin mommies have been in my current situation and can offer some information/reassurance. I am 22 weeks along. I had a tiny bit of spotting (that has since resolved and no medical reason was found for the cause) so I went to the childbirth center at my hospital and they put me on a contraction monitor. I had a few contractions which I could not feel and I was told that they were less than 40 seconds long so considered to be more of an "irritable uterus". Due to this an ultrasound was ordered. My cervix was long and closed but showed some funneling at the internal os in the beginning of the ultrasound. By the end of the ultrasound the funneling had resolved. My cervix was 4cm when funneling and 6cm when not. I was told by the nurse that the funneling could mean that my cervix is starting to soften. I have been put on modified bedrest and am taking Nifedipine every 6 hrs. to keep my uterus from contracting. I have lots of questions:
    -Has anyone been through something similiar with a long cervix and funneling? and how far did you make it in your pregnancy?
    -What experiences have other mommies had taking Nifedipine? It is a class C drug, but all the information I've found indicates that it is low risk to the fetus. My concern is that it lowers blood pressure and I already run pretty low, are the babies getting enough blood flow? Also, it has been giving me some minor headaches, nausea, and diarrhea, what side effects have others felt? Have other mommies stopped their contractions with this drug and for how long?
    Has anyone had babies who's growth rates have decreased after starting Nifedipine (right now my boys are ahead of schedule and measuring almost identical with gestation, weight, etc.)?
    -How quickly does a funneling cervix start to shorten? I was 6cm at my ultrasound a month ago and am still 6cm when not funneling and 4cm when funneling, how often should my cervical length be measured? Is it possible I could go in in two weeks and be completely effaced?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer some of these questions. I know I have a lot, but I think worrying is a prerequisite for motherhood right? :lol:

2. newboygirltwinsmom

newboygirltwinsmom Well-Known Member

I have not been put on bed rest or meds yet but my cervix is starting to shorten 3.5 cm 2 weeks ago. But what my mfm does is an internal bi-weekly and on alternate weeks a cervical measurement via ultrasound to check for shortining and funneling.

When my cervix started to funnel and shorten it took less than a month to go from 3cm to nothing left. Hoping you have a positive attitude and outcome for the rest of your pregnancy.

3. delekatala

delekatala Member

I have never been in that situation, but wanted to say hang in there. You are being taken care of and that is what is important!

4. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced that (not even totally clear on what funneling is, I have to confess) but I just wanted to say 6 cm is amazing! Mine is never that long. ;) 4 is also great so at this point I think you're OK. Hope all goes well!

5. jane_jane

jane_jane New Member

I am 18 weeks and my problem is cervical length too short.

I guess I didn't do enough research to learn more.

Hope all goes well.