long first names

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Island, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Island

Island Active Member

I dont partake in this as all my children have one syllable names that cant be shortened any further...

does anyone have a child with a longer first name (for example, Sebastian) who is always called by that name (eg. doesnt have a nickname)

I have a friend whos childs name is 'Garth-Naples' and that is what he is always called. Never will his mum call him just 'Garth' or 'Naples'.

what a mouth full!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son's friend at school has a two-part name that his teachers and parents call him by most of the time. My son doesn't, he just uses the first part, but most adults use both names.

Part of the reason we chose short names for our kids was to try to avoid nicknames. We failed miserably by the way, as soon as the twins started calling each other "Lele" and "Ryry", and our older daughter "K-k" ...there went the nickname rules! :lol: :wub:

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine have somewhat longer names (Isabel, Abigail and Gabriel). I love the longer versions, but it is easy to say Abby and Gabe. I probably use Isabel's longer name more often than the other two, but I do shorten hers to Bel sometimes. At school, she is Isabel. At school, the twins like Abby and Gabe. I let them decide what they wanted to be called at school (the teacher always asks).

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We tend to call Michael by his full name, but we often shorten it, too, especially if we are talking about them both. It's much easier to say Mike and Gabe. One of my things in picking names was something that either had no nickname, or had a no-brainer nickname (Michael and Mike, Gabriel and Gabe). My own name is one of those that has several common nicknames. I go by a nickname and I'm always getting called the wrong one at doctor's offices, etc and it drives me NUTS.

We have a niece whose parents call her Sarah Grace (first and middle). I just call her Sarah because I think it's awkward and long, you know? They don't seem to mind that we drop her middle name - at least they've never mentioned it.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always said that if I had another daughter or if our twins were girls the other girl would be named Evangelina, I probably wouldn't shorten it. However, my DD calls herself "Phia" rather then Sophia.

6. HK Mum

HK Mum Active Member

Garth-Naples?

I call both of mine by their full names, even though they both have names that can easily be shortened. I figure they will be shortened when they get to school, and if they want those names, then we'll adapt, I guess.

7. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

Garth Naples, that is an odd one??? We ended up with names that you can't really shorten but we didn't plan it. However somehow Colin ended up with the nickname Booders, i call him this so much i'm afraid he is going to think its his name!

8. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

My husband and I tried to pick names that would not be trimed for a nickname. Low and behold, we have Clare and Sydney and Sydney has turned into Syd- even though when I was pregnant I swore up and down and sideways that I would never call her that. But it does fit her and I use Sydney and Syd interchangably so she knows both (and so does Clare). :wacko:

9. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I have a long name and I go by the full name. I like it. But it is nothing weird like Garyh-Naples. DD is named after me, but goes by a nickname.

Happens to me to all the time. Drives me nuts too!!!!

10. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

I grew up with a double name and I really miss that people don't still use it. My middle name jsut got dropped somewhere along the way. My twins have long first names....Sanders and Callahan and I hope and pray that these name don't get shortened to Sandy and Calli. I will do everything in my power to keep their names from being shortened, but if they go to school and they want to shorten then they can.

11. rainkane

rainkane Member

My boys have short names, but people always end up calling them something else. Im worried people are going to call Rain ray or something like that and Kane, I dont think you can shorten that? But people call him blondy or something like that and im like "HIS NAME IS KANE!" lol

12. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We named our oldest Abigail thinking we would call her Abby. I have never (she is 11 y/o) called her anything but Abigail. It just fits. In the last year or two her friends have started calling her Abby which is fine. she is just not an Abby to me.

Our Amelia is "mimi"

13. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

lol, mine were given relatively short first names cuz my last name is really long, even though i love long first names, i just couldn't do it. so sadie gets called sadie-bug (usually when we're calling her) and elena is elena-bear. now elena calls sadie sadie-bug... lol, it's cute.

14. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

our kids don't have long names, but I feel that whatever a parent names their child and wants them to be called is what they should be called... I don't think that anyone else has the "right" to just change/shorten a name... some parents might not be as assertive to instruct people to call their children how they want them to be called.

My Davis calls/called himself "dayday" up until a couple of weeks ago. Its cute and we all call him that, but it kinda irks me when my inlaws constantly refer to him as "dayday"... I just do it 20% of the time or so, and the rest I call him Davis... anyway, I don't see this nickname being anything that friends or school would use... I prefer our kids first names as we gave it to them. I'm really glad to see both twins actually saying "Davis"!

anyway, as for thinking people named their kids something strange... truly it's not my position to have an opinion on their names...

15. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

All 3 of my boys have "long" names. My oldest is Donevan, he is three and has never gotten anything other then Donevan. The twins are Nathaniel and William. They also have never gotten their names shortened. My oldest does however call Nathaniel, Thaniel. I think it's more because he can't say Nathaniel though.

16. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Put me in the camp that you are allowed to have an opinion on their names, its just not polite to mention your opinion if its a negative one :p For instance, my husband's cousin named their kid Braden Jeter. Braden is a perfectly fine name, but Jeter?? All because he likes the baseball player Derek Jeter. My opinion is that the dad was selfish to name his child with a name like that. But thank goodness it is at least a middle name and not the name he goes by. But my middle name is Lake and when I was younger I was rather embarrassed about that (can't imagine how I would feel if my middle name was Jeter!). I've since seen other names though that make me realize that my middle name is actually tame, LOL.

17. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I have a double name, and don't ever shorten it to just one or the other. 1/2 of my name is not my name. I'm Diannalynn... 4 syllables. I'm ok being called DL (Dielle came from that and it's what my close friends call me), or my mom calls me Lynnie, because my brother did when he was little. But Dianna is someone else, not me. Maybe it feels different from shortening other names, because it really is 2 together. Growing up it was spelled Dianna-Lynn. But somehow the hyphen seemed to tell people that it was ok to just call me Dianna, and that really bugged me since I've never gone by just Dianna. It's like just assuming that because your name is William, you're happy to be called Bill. Unless someone told you that, I think it's kind of a rude assumption to make. Anyway, I finally changed it and now legally it's Diannalynn. Even still, sometimes people can't handle that. Garth-Naples sounds kind of odd to me, but I guess it's no odder than my name. The only one of my kids' names that I shorten is Sabrina. She's Brina, a lot. But I really only call her that when talking to her, and never about her to anyone outside of the family. Other than maybe calling Sydney "Syd" I can't think of how you'd shorten the others, really. And I don't call her Syd because that sounds so boyish.

I have 3 BILs named David. Yes, really. DH's brother, then 2 of his sisters married men named that. 1 of them is NOT Dave, not ever. And he'll totally call you on it, if you call him Dave. So I guess it's true sometimes of shorter names, too. At least that makes family get-togethers a little less confusing.

18. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls have long names and we have always called them jessy or jazzy or even Jess and jazz. When they went to school jesslyn wanted to be called jesslyn and both have insisted on being called their full name at school.

19. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We always planned on calling our boys "Marc" and "Jon", although their names are "Marcus" and "Jonathan". Lo and behold, the day they started pre-school, they decided that they wanted to be called "Marcus" and "Jonathan" and that is what they are called. Although, Jon does write "Jon" on his papers in school, since it is shorter.

20. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

well you can't really shorten Ian LOL....but Abigail's given name is Abigail Rose...we use Abby, Abigail, Abby Rose and Abigail Rose interchangably...Ian usually calls her Abigail though!

21. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

haha!! well, that's really what I wanted to say! of course I have opinions... just try to be polite about it! :)

22. tracylyn

tracylyn Active Member

I am the same. My boys are Jacob and Carter. While I was pregnant I always thought that Jacob would be Jake. I liked the name...but nope, he is definitely a Jacob. My family calls him Jake when they visit and it just doesn't fit him. I don't correct them, but when they start calling him Jakey, I have to say something!!!

Carter is still Carter. His middle name is James and we had thought about trying CJ but again...it just doesn't fit!!!

23. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My mom named me Rachael because there is no built in nickname. I was still called Rach. You can't stop it.

On the flip side, my Jack is often called Jackie. Anna though is always Anna.

24. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a Midwestern thing, but people around here seem to shorten names to the smallest possible meme. I *cannot* stop people from calling me "Val" even though it drives me nuts. I have a friend whose wife's name is Phoebe Jane; her nickname is PJ and he shortens it even further to "Peej" (even in writing, which is ironcially even longer to type.) :rolleyes: I think that people are going to do what they're going to do, and you can't really stop them. :pardon: Especially kids; if they have a hard time with a longer name, they're just gonna shorten it no matter how much you correct them.

Sadly I think that "Garth-Naples" is going to end up being called "Gene" somewhere along the line. ;)

25. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

This is a funny thread. I am a pediatrician and I see all sorts of horrible names in my daily work. I definitely dislike hyphenated names because I think it is unnecessary and confusing to the child. Studies have actually shown that children with intentionally wonky names do worse in school. My biggest pet peeve is a name that is normal but they spell it funky in attempts to be original.

Because I am painfully aware of the names that are too popular/trendy, I wanted names that were not super common. I also wanted names that would be longer than 1 syllable. I came up with Zoe for my girl and Xavier for my boy. Sometimes we shorten Xavier's name to X when writing about him, but so far no nicknames, which is what I was going for :)

26. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

This is us, too!! I think Jacob could be Jake or J.D, but so far, I can't see him as anything but Jacob.

I like nicknames, but haven't come up with a good one for Jordan. I thought Dani was cute for a Jordan, but DH hates that one, so we'll see!!

Andrew's always been "Drew", but he started preschool this year and told me he wanted to be called Andrew at school. I asked if he wanted me to call him Andrew and he said "No, just Drew". My stepson, Lee Jr, has always been called LeeJ (sounds like Lee-jay), which is kind of cute and unique, but he only goes by Lee at school, since his dad's not around.

I've always been Jenn or Jennifer, NOT Jenny! Somehow, I think a nickname implies a friendly familiarity that's kind of nice. Like, your whole name is for anyone, especially in formal settings, but your nickname is for those who are close enough to you to know you like it.

27. akerean

akerean Member

Names were soooo hard for us, because I'm a teacher. I kept vetoing name after name because it reminded me of some child or another that may not have been the kindest or best behaved.

I was afraid Lily would be shortened to Lil; however, her brother recently began calling her "Yi-Yi", and my friends and family think it's so cute that they're picking up on it. Yi-yi? I didn't see that one coming.

On the flip-side, Lily calls Ethan "Bubba" for brother, and I'm really hoping it doesn't stick. His middle name is Benjamin, so we sometimes call him E.B. I didn't like it at first, because it's not an acronym you often hear like B.J. or C.J. Then, I remembered the author E.B. White, and decided I could live with it. :) It's funny how nicknames just happen.

28. TwinxesMom

The girls call their aunt Whitnei yeayea. We are still trying to figured that one out

29. angieb1979

angieb1979 Well-Known Member

Our girls are Hailey and Kassidy. Kassidy is a mouthful for Hailey so we usually refer to her as "sissy" I hope that doesn't stick really, i don't think it will. We also call her Kass and I like that. Hailey we just call Hailey but Kassidy has started calling her Hay-Hay... I really hope that doesn't stick... LOL, I think it's just easier for now. We're not going to call her Hay-Hay in hopes that Kassidy stops soon. :)

30. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a sebastian! My ILs try to call him Seb b/c there is a Zebadiah called Zeb in the family. I hate it but really try hard to not let them see just how much I hate it. Fortunately they are starting to realize he is not a Seb or Sebby (UGH)- it helps that he doesn't answer to it at all.

For Orion we sometimes call him O or Mr. O. I don't know why but it was funny to be really formal with a tiny baby.

31. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I am a Kimberlee that my parents promised would never be "Kim". Yeah right...
    When I was 22 I moved to VA for Grad school and only introduce myself as "Kimberlee". It stuck.
    So, I named my 4 girls I wanted to give them the same choice:
    Madison - goes between Maddie and Madison
    Cassandra - currently Cassie could be Cassandra or Cass
    Katherine - currently Kara - could be Kate, Katie, Katherine.
    Elizabeth - currently Ella - could be Ell, Liz, Lizza, Beth, Lisa, Lizbeth, Elizabeth, etc.

Good luck!

32. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

When our boys were wee little things out of the NICU we often times called Brandon and Colin Mr. B and Mr. C . I agree, we just liked the formality in the nickname when really it was just a cute little baby :) We still occasionally refer to them as Mr. B and Mr. C, but not as often these days. And anytime DH and I are instant messaging or exchanging emails we ALWAYS just type B and C. This site is heavy on abbreviations and acronyms so I'm sure we are not alone!

While on this subject, I will also say that DH and I joke around about legally changing our boys' names to Bra-Colin and Co-Brandon, because fairly often we'll go to refer to one boy but start to say his brother's name first :lol: And they are SO fraternal! It's not that we don't know which is which. It usually happens when we are in a hurry such as yelling to tell one not to do something :)

33. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Ha! In my family we call this "mother's disease" (calling children by each other's names), but I know it's not limited to just mothers. DH and I often call out "Ja-Nathan" or "Na-Jack". :laughing:

34. TwinxesMom

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='29 January 2011 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1296313806' post='1753950']
    Ha! In my family we call this "mother's disease" (calling children by each other's names), but I know it's not limited to just mothers. DH and I often call out "Ja-Nathan" or "Na-Jack". :laughing:
    [/quote]
    This is one of the reasons they start with the same letter it's easier to change name midway. That said we still get jezzy and jassy sometimes

35. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do that with all 3 of my girls. They hear "Jo-Annie," "Jo-Ellie," "Ann-Ellie," Ell-Joey," etc. Put together any combination of Jo, Annie, and Ellie, and my girls will answer.

Then again, I've called them all to amke sure they were with me at school, "Annie, Joey, Ellie...you here?" And one was home sick!!