Looking for advice on how to handle CONSTANT (ie. 24/7) whining

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Erica92, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

DS has started WHINY CONSTANTLY.... I mean all todllers whine and have bad moments, bad days etc... but for the past few weeks ALL he does is whine and cry (hard)..

I am not sure if I/we should be disciplining him (i.e timouts which we have done for bad behaviors like hitting, throwing etc...) and have had success with or if I should just ignore him in hopes that he'll figure out that he's not getting anything out of whining/crying and stop-

I know ALOT of his frustrating comes from the fact that he can't communicate, he CAN say a number of words but instead of using them, he just cries- We try to remind him to "use his words" instead of whining but that doesn't tend to be very successful and tends to make him cry harder.

Anyway I was hoping you other parents might have some suggestions, words of wisdom, advice etc...

It's causing for some LONG stressful days in our household and Im getting ready to throw him out the window (j/k of course)

2. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

oops forgot to add that they are 18 months old

3. eehrlich

eehrlich Well-Known Member

not much advice here except that my kiddos - especially one of them - have been doing the same. from what i have read, this is age appropriate behavior and should not be considered bad behavior. so i wouldnt discipline a child for whining and crying because you are right - it is most probably due to frustration. i am mostly trying to strike a balance between making sure all needs are met and ignoring excessive whining/ tantrums. its hard - because its loud. good luck - i guess they will grow out of this eventually.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are only 15 months old...it does sound like he is frustrated. When my son whines, we make sure he's okay (which he usually is ) and then not make a big deal about it and ignore it, for us it stops the whining. Good luck!

5. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Jack is my whiney guy. He has been whining since 8 months old....and he is now 17 months old. It seems to get harder to deal with everyday. I wish I had some answers for you, I wish I had the answer for myself. it's hard, believe me, I know! Sometimes I think it's from teething, or diaper rash but it goes on everyday so I am not sure, I'm hoping the phase is over soon, it's been going on way too long here, ugh.