Looking for Arabic names that sound good in American English, too

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TamSam, Oct 24, 2007.

1. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have a bit of a difficult task: to find Arabic names that are either also present in the US or at least sound pleasant when spoken with an American accent. We are having B/G twins.

Right now we are thinking about Rami and Nadia. My only concern is that Rami might be a bit too cute when he's a grownup and a CEO or Firefighter or whatever he chooses - what do you think?

We are also looking for middle names. These don't have to be Arabic, but can be. I like French names a lot, and his entire family speaks French as well. Thanks for your input!

2. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I always thought that Nadia was Russian/Slavic. It's the nickname for Nadezhda, which means Hope.
    I've never heard of it being Arabic. But regardless, it's one of my very, very favorite girl names.

Have you consulted an online Arabic baby name list, like this one? Maybe Xavier is a good compromise name. It's listed as being Arabic, but it's also common in French-speaking countries.

3. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I have Arabic friends who named their son, Rami. They are both second generation Arabic parents and their son is very Americanized and has felt very comfortable with his name. I was looking at Arabic names for boys and found Jed and Xavier were listed. They're definitely present in the US and easy to say with an American accent. Also, Xavier is a very popular boy name right now in the US. Nadia is beautiful ;) .

4. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

I had a friend at boarding school from Kuwait - her name was Yasmin. I think it is a beautiful name.

5. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mellizos @ Oct 24 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]466055[/snapback]
    I always thought that Nadia was Russian/Slavic. It's the nickname for Nadezhda, which means Hope.
    I've never heard of it being Arabic. But regardless, it's one of my very, very favorite girl names.

Have you consulted an online Arabic baby name list, like this one? Maybe Xavier is a good compromise name. It's listed as being Arabic, but it's also common in French-speaking countries.

You are correct about the origins of Nadia. It is also an Arabic name, arising independently in that language as well and meaning "generous". This is the ideal type of name for me - one that is known in both languages. I like the idea of it being Russian as well, but familiar in English. To me, the more international a name, the better. I'm glad to hear you like it!

We've tried looking at the online resources, but they mostly offer up the same list of names. I keep thinking that there's some source that will be more thorough and not just present the most common names. The sound is most important to me, and a lot of Arabic names are difficult for Americans to pronounce or unfortunately bring up bad connotations.

I love Xavier, but my husband insists that he has never heard of it being an Arabic name, even though all of these sites and a few books I have come across agree that it is. For some reason, he just doesn't like it. Too bad - would have been a great one for my requirements. :)

6. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pamelastwins @ Oct 24 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]466070[/snapback]
    I have Arabic friends who named their son, Rami. They are both second generation Arabic parents and their son is very Americanized and has felt very comfortable with his name. I was looking at Arabic names for boys and found Jed and Xavier were listed. They're definitely present in the US and easy to say with an American accent. Also, Xavier is a very popular boy name right now in the US. Nadia is beautiful ;) .

Thanks for replying! This is really helpful information, to know of someone growing up in the US who is comfortable having the name Rami.

I love Xavier, but hubby has vetoed it. :( Unfortunately, I grew up in KY and Jed reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

7. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Hi!

We named one of our daughters after my husand's grandmother who was from Lebanon: Zahira. If we had had a boy we were going to name him Kahlil after Kahlil Gibran.

HTH!

Lisa

8. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Oct 25 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]467046[/snapback]
    Hi!

We named one of our daughters after my husand's grandmother who was from Lebanon: Zahira. If we had had a boy we were going to name him Kahlil after Kahlil Gibran.

HTH!

Lisa

I love both of those names! And I love Khalil Gibran (there's a memorial to him somewhere here in DC I've been meaning to find).

I'm thinking Rami Khalil might be the right combination for our son!

9. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Hillybean @ Oct 24 2007, 08:16 PM) [snapback]466076[/snapback]
    I had a friend at boarding school from Kuwait - her name was Yasmin. I think it is a beautiful name.

I agree, Yasmin is wonderful. Unfortunately, hubby has vetoes that one too. :( Where's the 2/3 majority when you need to override hubby's vetoes? :)

10. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

He vetos a lot! :)

My DH and I each got to pick one of the girls first names - we could veto, but we actually each got to use our number 1 name.

11. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TamSam @ Oct 25 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]467144[/snapback]
    I love both of those names! And I love Khalil Gibran (there's a memorial to him somewhere here in DC I've been meaning to find).

I'm thinking Rami Khalil might be the right combination for our son!

Rami Khalil sounds beautiful!

12. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Hillybean @ Oct 25 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]466076[/snapback]

Yasmin is pretty...but also a pretty common type of birth control pill. Just a thought.

13. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Hillybean @ Oct 25 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]467192[/snapback]
    He vetos a lot! :)

My DH and I each got to pick one of the girls first names - we could veto, but we actually each got to use our number 1 name.

Haha, just when it comes to names. I got final say for our first daughter's name, and I want him to feel more included this time. He was abroad when I had to make the final decision on her birth certificate, and I couldn't reach him on the phone that day.

I've also got veto power, so it makes his vetoes a bit easier to handle. :)

I like your suggestion - I'll have to suggest this to him :)

14. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TamSam @ Oct 25 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]467041[/snapback]
    Thanks for replying! This is really helpful information, to know of someone growing up in the US who is comfortable having the name Rami.

I love Xavier, but hubby has vetoed it. :( Unfortunately, I grew up in KY and Jed reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

No problem! This is fun :D .