LO's finger and toe nails constantly ripping

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by elhardy26, Jan 6, 2011.

1. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

Over the past few months it seems like the girls nails have been ripping/tearing more often and one time the nail was growing out in two layers and the top layer actually fell off after a while. If you look close the nails are a little wavy (not flat and smooth like an adults) and just overall irregular looking.

is this normal or should I be concerned they have some condition affecting their nail beds or nails?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:bump:

I have no idea.

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I once had a doctor who would examine my fingernails during each appointment. I believe their appearance/condition is an indicator of dietary health.

It might not hurt to call the pediatician for his/her guidance.

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My nails have done that my entire life and no changes that I made (dietary, supplements, nail products, etc.) have every made any difference. The only thing that helped a little was pregnancy. I am in good health, but for some reason, my nails are very week. My DD's nails appear to be the same way. You could ask your pedi about it.

5. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

I was hoping for other mom's to post that their toddlers nails are thin and ripping too.... Now, I'm really worried. They eat a great diet of fruit, whole grains, milk, proteins, and some select veggies so I dont' know how they could have a vitamin deficiency.

The only supplement I give them is a vitamin D chewy, are a lot of people giving a multivitamin to their toddlers?

6. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

My kiddos' fingernails do not tear or peel, but they have terrible looking toenails! And since they are related tissues, I imagine that fingernails are similar to hair with variable color and texture. Some people have thick, coarse hair while others have thin hair that breaks easily. I think a quick call to your pedi would make you feel better. I did not mean to worry you with my comment :hug:

7. jendisney8

jendisney8 Member

Both of my girls nails have done this, finger and toe nails. At first I thought my DD had dropped something on her toe or was growing out of her shoes bc I noticed her big toe nail almost completely gone. But there wasn't any bruising or redness, just a toenail missing. Then I noticed it starting to happen to her other toe and my other DD began experiencing it too. i asked the pedi about it at there last appt. as I was wondering if they were lacking in certain nutrients, and he didn't seem concerned. It doens't seem to bother either of them and the nails are growing back now. Like you, I hope it's normal. Good luck!