Losing night time diapers....

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Robynsegg, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

ok, so my twins have been potty trained for quite some time now, but I still an hesitant to get rid of the night time diapers. They go to bed without a diaper, but I put one on them while they sleep around 10pm. Now, I can't remember for the life of me what I did to rid of the nighttime diapers with my oldest son....so I don't know what to do with the twins.

They wake up with a wet diaper everyday....

Should I wake them in the middle of the night to have them empty their bladder and then just put an extra pee pad on the bed? Or should I just put a pee pad on the bed and hope that they just get it eventually?

What would/have you done?!

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Night time dryness is a physical thing. If they're waking up wet every night, they're not ready to lose the diapers (unless you are up for the extra laundry). My twins potty trained at 25 months and one of them started waking up dry a month later. She stopped diapers and has not had an accident in three full years. My other daughter still wakes up wet every single morning at age five and a half. We tried limiting water before bed, waking her at night, you name it... but nothing worked. She's just not ready. So she wears a pull up to bed every night.

In my opinion, you don't need to make a change now. When your kids start waking up dry every few days, then you're ready to double up the pee pads and get your kids excited about about waking up to pee if they need to. But wait for them so you don't create stress for them or for you!

2 people like this.
  3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Well, you could try without and see how it goes. And put a diaper back on if there are accidents. You could wake them up in the middle of the night to go pee, but it still won't teach them how to wake up by themselves if they have to go... I don't think it's something that can be taught. My kids still wake up soaked in the morning (and one of them isn't poop trained yet so there's no way I'm getting rid of the night diapers, although we're switching to pull ups now because diapers are getting small).

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This. Exactly. If they aren't consistently waking up dry yet, or able to wake themselves up to go pee, then there's no sense even trying yet. My twin dd potty trained right after she turned 3, and started staying dry at night shortly after. She's been in underwear for a couple months and only 1-2 accidents.

My twin son is not day time trained yet and still soaks through a pullup overnight. He's nowhere near ready to wear underwear overnight.

5. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

If you really want to try I'd give them a week without diapers and see how they do. If they wake up wet I'd put them back in diapers and try again later. They may surprise you and start staying dry if they realize they will get wet if they dont get up and pee. All my kids were potty trained during the day by 2 but some still had night accidents until they were 5-6. Its one of those things you just cant rush.

6. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

THANK YOU ALL!!! So glad to hear that its ok for them to still wake up wet! They still fit in a size 6 diaper so I will stick to those! You have eased my mind 110%

My oldest son Grifyn who is 4 now, he has been without a diaper since he was two has yet to have an accident...you can see why at almost 3 I'm wondering if there is something that I should be doing for the twins....but....they just aren't ready!! No sweat!

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were day time trained for about a year before they night trained. They just wouldn't wake up in the night, and I was not about to set an alarm for myself to wake everyone.

If they are still waking up wet I would just keep putting a diaper on them. Once you notice them waking up dry you can get rid of it. To me, 1 diaper a day was no big deal.