Lost mucus plug... gross.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by susangilpin, Aug 11, 2010.

1. susangilpin

susangilpin Active Member

Hey ladies!!

I am a lovely 31 weeks and 3 days along with my twin boys! im so glad to have made it this far! 2 sundays ago, I went into Triage having contractions and they told me I was about a centimeter dialted. The contractions stopped and they sent me home.
    Monday I went to my regular doctor appt and she told me I was a centimeter and a half dialted. My next appt is for Mon.
    I have been having contractions (They tell me to time them) but I cant really time them or tell when they stop. All i know is my stomach will get hard but I just cant really tell. Today I went to the potty and definitely had a huge mucus come out (gross I know) with a streak of blood in it. I am pretty sure it was my mucus plug. Hubby said websites say if you are before 36 weeks to call your doc but from what I've read it could be weeks before you go into labor. I will wait until tommorrow to call.
    How about you mucus plug stories? How long after you lost yours did you have your twins... also anyone who had twins at about 31-32 weeks, did they have NICU time and how long were they in there?? Also, what kind of PJs should I take to the hospital with me? lol i know its silly, im having such a hard time finding PJS!

-Sunny

2. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

I would give a call into your doc to be safe rather than sorry, for me with my other pregnancies, I didnt loose my mucous plug until I was going into labor.

My babies were born via c-section at 38 weeks, so I dont have any info regarding such early births, but that is still very early

As far as PJ's which hopefully you won't be needing now anyhow, my friends had recommended bringing a nightgown, and I truly second that, if you need to show off your body, it's a lot easier to pull it up, than to worry about pulling down pants.

If you plan on nursing, i would look for something that buttons down,

But Call your doc! and let them tell you if you should come in or not!

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I would definitely call the Dr ASAP, just to be on the safe side. 31 weeks is still extremely premature for babies, and it's almost guaranteed at this point they would have NICU time, probably breathing and feeding issues.

With that being said, I lost my mucous plug at 23 weeks and my Dr told me, not only does your body make a lot more mucous with a twin pregnancy, it's not an indication that you are imminently going to go in labor. However, that combined with the contractions you are describing, I think it's definitely worth checking out, and not taking any chances.

Despite losing mine at 23 weeks, I didn't deliver until 28 weeks but that was only because I had weeks of hospital bedrest and every PTL med known to mankind. Who knows what would have happened if I just let things progress.

As far as the jammies, I would get something lose and comfortable. If you want pants, get something that is a little higher waisted, so it's not at your incision site (if you are going to have a c/s)

4. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

I agree with pp. [​IMG]

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

i agree with everything that was said.

6. susangilpin

susangilpin Active Member

thanks for all the great advice, i did end up calling my doc and she said that losing the plug can happen anytime after having an exam and its no big deal. she also told me the contractions were pretty normal and to call back if they got to be about 5-7 minutes apart.
    aside from that she said to drink 3 large glasses of cold water and to lay on my left side. So me and the boys made it through another night!

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I know the mucus plug can also regenerate. Glad everything is ok.

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I lost my mucus plug at 31 weeks, I was having contractions that were not painful but I did need to sit down through them. I decided to go to l&d and make sure things were okay-I was actually dilated to 3cm and having real contractions. I was put on bedrest, given medication to stop the contractions, also given the steroid shot to help with the babies lung maturity 'just in case', it was too soon for them to be born and I really wanted to give them more time so I followed the Dr. orders to the T and I ended up delivering at 35.5 weeks. No nicu time at all.
    Please take it easy and let your doctor know about ANY regular contractions...you really want to try to keep them baking a while longer.

As for PJ's-I took a comfy t-shirt and some yoga pants (black) and was very comfortable.

Good luck!! and keep us posted!

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i agree with everyone else - losing your mucous plug in & of itself is not a big deal. i feel a bit silly for asking, as i'm sure you did, but did you mention the blood to your OB? it's possible the blood was just from the internal exam, but if it's bloody show, that usually means labor is fairly imminent.

just keep in touch with your doc & keep resting & doing whatever they say.

i second the suggestion of a nightgown since lots of people will be checking things out down there. although, i just wore two hospital gowns the whole time i was there - one the right way & one sort of as a bath robe. there was so much stuff coming out after the girls were born i preferred to get their stuff all yucky & messy than my own clothes.