lunchables for 9 months old?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ahmerl, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

Jack and Lily have been eating turkey and ham lunchmeat slices and cheese and they like them very much. The problem is that cutting the lunchmeat is a pain for me and so is picking it up for them. I was thinking that lunchables might be easier as the meat is cut much thicker. I am torn as I have a feeling it is all very processed and not as good as regular lunch meat and cheese - am I right about this or should I just go for it????

2. ehm

ehm Banned

I have never been able to bring myself to give my children the lunchables. They always see them in the grocery store and tell me how so and so and so and so brings this lunchable or that lunchable to school for lunch. They always accept no as the answer for us but I can tell you they are very popular.

What I would do is ask at the deli to slice the meats a little bit thicker. Our deli has a sign on it with numbers that correspond to thickness (basically the number on the dial that the deli person puts the slicer to when they open up the blade). When I am just using it for anything I don't specify a number but for things like chef salads I ask them to please slice it at #3 which for us is perfect for cubing.

Anyway, if you are not exactly sure how your local deli handles thickness, I would go on an off time so it is not crowded and talk to the deli person about eaxactly what you need. Generally they are accomodating and will work with you to figure out what you need but not when they are out straight with 20 people in line. Then once you find out the best way to order what you need it should be easy.

3. klselsky

klselsky Well-Known Member

I'm such a chicken about giving my girls real food!!! I just went out and bought another round of gerber purees after I declared I would push real food to them per my pedi's request! I've done broken up cheese, but I don't know if I'd give them the lunchable meat yet. I know with the baby wheels, my girls would rather stuff the whole thing in their mouth than chew on the edges. I could see the same thing happening with the meat, but it wouldn't dissolve. I guess I also share your concern with the nitrates/preservatives in those meals.

KS

4. Bee Ell

Bee Ell Active Member

They have those new Lunchable Jrs. Maybe try those?

5. SusieQ

SusieQ Well-Known Member

Your instinct is right on. The Lunchables are HORRIBLE as far as preservatives, nitrates, sodium - you name it My oldest DD loved them, so I did some research on them, and it's not worth it.

Here's what I do: Take one piece of whole grain bread, one piece of deli luncheon meat and one slice of American cheese. Layer it, mircrowave it for 30 seconds, and voila you have a little sandwich (that stays together) that you can tear into tiny pieces and the kids can easiliy pick up.

Good Luck!
    Suzi

6. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SusieQ @ Mar 15 2008, 07:58 PM) [snapback]670627[/snapback]
    Your instinct is right on. The Lunchables are HORRIBLE as far as preservatives, nitrates, sodium - you name it My oldest DD loved them, so I did some research on them, and it's not worth it.

Here's what I do: Take one piece of whole grain bread, one piece of deli luncheon meat and one slice of American cheese. Layer it, mircrowave it for 30 seconds, and voila you have a little sandwich (that stays together) that you can tear into tiny pieces and the kids can easiliy pick up.

Good Luck!
    Suzi

Excellent idea Suzi. They eat wraps with cheese in them and grilled cheese but I never thought of adding the lunch meat!!!!

Thanks!
    Amy

7. lhoran

lhoran Well-Known Member

The lunchables are unhealthy and expensive! My (older) girls always want them because of the packaging, but I will never buy them!!

Lisa

8. Flutterbymama

Flutterbymama Well-Known Member

A quick tip for cutting/slicing just about anything is to use a pizza cutter. I've used it to cut everything from lunch meat to waffles/toast to cooked spaghetti noodles. Saves lots of time.

Christy

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh no, please don't give your kids Lunchables. They're seriously the most awful food ever invented. Lunchables are full of preservatives, chemicals, nitrates, and SALT. Tons of salt.

I like the ideas already posted... making your own snack wraps or getting deli meat sliced thick. (my little soap box... just make sure you're getting low sodium deli meat. Some of it is full of salt, something your nine month old babies certainly do not need!)