Managing braxton hicks contractions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chicagomama, Jun 5, 2013.

1. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

Does anyone have specific tips, advice etc for managing BH contractions? Never really had them with my other pregnancy and yesterday I had so many contractions I was really concerned. They were only rarely every 10 min, but more like 15-20 min apart, not painful but noticeable enough to kinda freak me out. I had worked out in the morning on the eliptical and pushed myself more than I should. Today I basically put myself on bedrest for the day, (fortunate to have that option) and have not had any for several hours. But just the experience has kind of put me on edge. Is it normal to experience them with such frequency and am I going to endure that for the remainder of my pregnancy? Really hoping to make it to the 34 week point, I have a large board exam for my career I have to take then and really hoping to pull it off before the new ones show up. Any feedback is welcomed!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

BH are usually more common and start earlier both with 2nd pregnancies and with twins so it sounds normal to me (especially considering what you felt regarding your work out). That being said, has your care provider given you any guide lines regarding when s/he would like you to get checked?

Things that may help your uterus relax: staying hydrated (even minimal dehydration can irritate the uterus), keeping your bladder empty (kind of a pain when considering point #1 but a full bladder will, you guessed it, irritate the uterus) and making sure you're getting adequate rest. You can also try a warm bath (this can also help slow or stop contractions in early labor or if you're having lots of prodromal labor if you're needing some rest).

3. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I've also heard they're more common after first pregnancy and with twins. Drinking a lot, emptying bladder and lying on your side should help but I would not hesitate to call your provider about this and ask for more advice. Congrats on 31 weeks and I hope you make it to full term and can take your babies home with you.

4. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I had Braxton Hicks with my first two pregnancies, and TONS with my twins (third pregnancy). Nothing regular, but often very intense/tight. I never went to get checked other than my regularly scheduled appointments (2/week at the end) - I was determined to have a September birthday and didn't want some on call person deciding I needed to go ahead and have the boys earlier than the date I scheduled (September 1st). I had the luxury of lying around a lot (not ordered) as I had my two other children taken care of by family. Water and sleep usually resolved the contractions - I don't recall waking up to a BH contraction - though they would always return by the afternoon/evening.

Good luck cooking them as long as you can!!