Massive Crib Recall ***INFORMATION/LINKS ADDED IN POST #14***

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by BigKyle, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

Hey guys, i didnt see this posted yet, and im not sure if this is the right forum to do it in but i needed to share this with you

We saw this on the news today : (here is the link for refferance, but i posted the stroy below for simplicity)http://www.cbsnews.c...in5746142.shtml

Massive Crib Recall Set, Sources Say
    CPSC About to Announce One of Biggest Such Recalls Ever -- Involving Cribs with Dropdown Sides, CBS News Has Learned
    Font size Print E-mail Share

(AP)
    (CBS) CBS News has learned that the Consumer Product Safety Commission is about to announce one of the largest crib recalls in United States history, involving cribs with dropdown sides, fearing they may be unsafe, even deadly.

And now, reports "Early Show" Consumer Correspondent Susan Koeppen, there is a major push to ban those types of cribs.

Tyler Jonathan was only 10 months old when he died in the very place his mother, Michele Witte, thought he'd be safe -- his crib, Koeppen says.

"That's every parent's safe-haven for their child, and to see the horrific site of him strangled ... was just horrifying to me," Witte told Koeppen.

Tyler had been sleeping in a crib with a dropdown side, Witte says. Somehow, he was able to get his head stuck in a gap between the side rail and headboard. "I just fell to my knees and I started screaming," Witte recalls.

The federal government has recalled nearly 5 million cribs in the past two years -- many of them with drop down sides, Koeppen points out.

"Parents like the convenience of having the side drop down," CPSC Chair Inez Tenenbaum notes, adding the hardware used by many manufacturers to make the sides drop isn't "substantial."

Tenenbaum explains that, "We have been relying on voluntary standards," for crib safety but, "We find that is no longer enough. ... We will now be writing. ... (proposing) federal regulations that are mandatory for cribs."

The CPSC isn't alone. The legislature in Suffolk County, on New York's Long Island, has banned the sale of dropdown side cribs, starting in February. And Toys 'R us is no longer selling drop side cribs.

Also, a measure just approved by the organization that sets safety guidelines for the crib industry makes full-size cribs with dropdown sides a violation of voluntary safety standards.

Witte wants a federal ban in place soon. "We cannot have a crib that takes the lives of ... infants ... out there on the market for unknowing consumers," she remarked.

The CPSC says it has no doubt that dangerous and recalled cribs are being used in homes right now in America.

Koeppen says CBS News is waiting to hear more about the crib recall, and the specific cribs involved, and expects to have more on the recall on "The Early Show" on Tuesday.

Koeppen advises that parents who have a crib in their home that has dropdown sides check to see whether it's already been recalled. The CPSC suggests checking the hardware to see if it seems solid. Feel the side rail: If you can move it back and forth, that can be dangerous. And stop using the side rail: Don't put it up and down anymore.

i have yet to find a list of cribs yet but i will continually check at work all day till they post one! I will keep this topic updated!

2. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

This is scary and difficult to begin with. We have our boys in a crib with a drop side, but we don't use the drop down side we just keep it locked and put the boys in over the side. But I know we can't afford to have to go and buy a whole new crib. Is there a plan if all drop down cribs are recalled?

3. MyMMchelle

MyMMchelle Active Member

My link

The crib recall will be announced tomorrow with a list of all cribs to be recalled.. I'm sure that anyone with one of these cribs will be able to get a new crib of the same value, and only have to pay if the new crib is more money. Who knows though... We will find out tomorrow I guess... This is so scary to me seeing how my 8 month old is now pulling himself up on his crib..

4. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

ya our boys (me and mymmchelle) are about 8 months, and same thign we rarley use the drop down sided, unless changing the sheets or changing them both in the same crib... but its very scary none the less

Having worked in retail before... when something has been recalled, theres somethginy ou can print out and return to the place of purchase, and exchange it for a Like model in quality and price... but if you paied 500 for a crib they wont replace it for a $120 model.

its extremely never racking... but what i read about the drop down sides they can pop off the bottom, and the child can fall between the matress and the drop down side...

luckyl for us our matress's are not all the way down yet so they cant press on the botton of the drop down side....

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I am scared of drop-side cribs. Our LOs have new convertible cribs that do not concern me. However, at my parents house and my in-laws house they have drop-down cribs from the early '80s. I am worried about my babies sleeping in these cribs. I have emailed them a couple of safety articles about the dangers of these cribs and asked them to check and see if their cribs have ever been recalled. Do you think I should make a big stink about it? My parents have access to a much newer crib. I don't know if it's a drop-side one or not. I'm pretty sure my MIL thinks I'm crazy because I'm concerned about safety stuff.

1 person likes this.
  6. becky5

becky5 Guest

Our cribs were recalled awhile back, and this is what was happening to the drop down side. A kit was sent to us that made the side stationary.

Thanks for the info.

7. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

Scary! I am not going to be happy if my crib is on that list (Graco Lauren 4-in-1) because getting it shipped here was expensive and a major PITA and I doubt the recall would cover that.

8. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

Both the cribs we use are only 9 months old TOPS, and they are both drop down models, and they where pretty expensive... So i dont think the fact that they are old has anything to do with it...

i would wait to see what this recall has to offer, and possibly use it as leverage saying better safe than sorry i think you should get a new crib...

I dont see you as being crazy, just concerned about the welfare of your children and thats is completely understandable

9. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

stupid 'new' mom comment here...what is a drop drown crib?

10. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

Perfectly understandable new mom question. drop side crib is where the side rail drops down for easier access to putting the baby in and out of the crib.

11. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

OH ok. i dont think mine go up and down anywhere on the crib.
    its a convertible crib but the sides dont move, either does the front. that means that it wont be recalled, right?

12. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Convertible cribs don't appear to be part of the recall. The recent concerns have been with drop-side cribs.

13. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

No. It means that it is not being recalled right now. Make sure you keep an eye out on recalls as crib recalls happen pretty frequently.

14. becky5

becky5 Guest

Link to press release

15. e1face

e1face Member

16. bmatlock

bmatlock Well-Known Member

we don't have the brand of cribs that were recalled but we DO have drop down side cribs...so we just turned the drop down side to the wall. we'll keep it this way until they make their way into the toddler bed conversion...one of my boys would totally have figured out eventually how to shake that drop rail down, so i feel much better that we turned it around.

17. qfmom2009

qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this recall!

My mom actually told me about this, and I was thrilled to know that ours was not covered in the recall, however I decided to do a google search with our crib (Delta Luv Crib) to see if it had ever been recalled and it had been. The ones made from 1993-20007 were the ones recalled! Our twins are the 4th and 5th babies in this crib. I sent away for the repair kit, but, oh my this sure did frighten me!