Mastitis again

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jennycraig, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

Hi. I am writing to see if anyone has dealt with mastitis multiple times? I had it with both of my single girls and now have it for a second time with my twin girls. Is there anything anyone knows of to do to try to prevent it? It looks like mostly it is just making sure I empty my breasts out. Thank you for the advice.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh - sorry mama! Mastitis is the pits. Have you seen this (http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/) article from Kellymom? Lots of great information and additional treatment ideas/options. HTH!

3. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I had it many times during the years I breastfed. I don't remember anything I did, but I do know I used the kellymom site listed above. I also remember at least once (maybe every time? no idea!) going to the doctor and being on antibiotics.

I wish I could offer any useful advice, but all I'm able to give you is my empathy! So sorry you're dealing with it, again!

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Yes! I had it 7 times with my first 5 kids. How I managed to not get it with Spencer, I'll never know. The first time was when my oldest was 5 days old and I ended up in the hospital with a crazy high fever. That article looks good. Mostly I can just empathize.