matching feeding schedule to nap schedule

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Dec 6, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Okay, so a while back we transitioned to an eat-play-sleep schedule with three naps per day, feeding about every three hours.  The nap schedule then got modified so that they ended up sleeping 3 hours after their last bottle, so we are currently cutting down from 5 bottles during the day to 4 and putting more in each bottle.  Yesterday they ended up having only two naps (mostly by accident, SAHD hubby calculated wrong and thought they were up an hour later than they were) and they slept pretty well overnight.  We're still getting them up once overnight to feed them around 1:30 (sometimes they wake up on their own, otherwise we dream feed).

Here's what we've got right now:
    6:00 - wake up, 6oz bottle
    8:00 - nap #1, lasts either 45 mins or 90 mins depending on their mood
    9:00 or 9:30 depending on wake up time - 6oz bottle
    10:30/11:00 - feed solids + sippy cup with a little milk
    either 11:30 or 12:00 depending on wake up from last nap - nap #2, usually 90 mins but occasionally 45
    1:30 or 2:00 - 6oz bottle
    possible 3rd nap at 4:00 depending how they slept earlier, only lasts 30 mins if at all and they usually fight it
    5:00 - solids + sippy cup with a little milk
    6:00 - 7oz bottle, bedtime
    1:30am - 4oz bottle

The main problem is when we feed solids they're really hungry.  I feel like they shouldn't be so hungry at those times but because it's been so long since their last bottle they get fussy if they don't eat more.  If I switch to a 2-nap schedule and push the second nap later I'm not sure how to adjust the feeding times.

I think maybe C is ready to STTN but A isn't.  One or the other tends to wake up around 4am and babble for a while, then wake up at 5 or 5:30 fussing.  The couple times we didn't get them up for a dream feed they woke up starving at 3:30 or so, wouldn't go to sleep without a whole 6oz bottle, then refused to eat at 6:00 when they got up for the day because they weren't hungry.

Suggestions?  They are 7 months, 5 adjusted, behaving mostly like 6-month-olds developmentally.

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I'd put the solids right after bottles. They should still be almost a snack at this point, not a primary meal when they are hungry. And when you say milk, you don't mean milk, right? You mean a sippy of breast milk or formula?

I would also stick with 5 bottles at this point. At 5 months adjusted, I'd expect them to be eating 7 or 8 ounce bottles, and a total of 35 to 40 ounces a day. Are they getting that?

Personally, I wouldn't feed them at 1:30. If they eat a bottle at 3:30 and you have to push the morning bottle some or they don't eat it all, so be it. I just would not be waking up essentially 6 month olds overnight to eat. They should be getting close to being able to sleep all night, if not there already.

3. joybee

joybee Member

i agree. the solids are still for learning at this point if it's relatively new in the past month or so (how long have they been eating solids?) and should not be expected to provided the much needed calories from milk/formula. but i know this is hard to work in logistically. what i did with my older two was give half a feed (one breast, or half a bottle) then offer solids, then finish the milk feed. this way, they're not startving and stark raving mad while you're giving them cereal, but still hungry and motivated to try it, then get a nice little reward for their efforts when they're done making a mess :) let us know how it all works out!

4. paperclippy

Yes, I meant they get breastmilk in the sippy. We've just moved up from 4-5oz bottles to 6oz. They have reflux and we can't really feed a huge bottle or they will just puke it back up. 40oz sounds like a huge amount to me! They only weigh 14lbs and I only produce 56oz per day so we are already supplementing with formula sometimes. We've been doing solids about 3 weeks or so, maybe a little longer.

5. paperclippy

I looked at a number of sources and they all seem to say that at this age they should be eating 25-30oz per day. Right now they are at 29 not including the amount in their sippies. If I could eliminate the nighttime 4oz I would reallocate it into daytime bottles and we could do three 7oz bottles and one 8oz plus more in the sippy. The thing is that I don't want to give a bottle right before naptime because I need them to not require eating in order to fall asleep. We had that problem before and it took a little while to transition to eating when waking up instead.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes you can't go by the charts. Most of the time actually. I don't know what to tell you. I'd tweak as I said. If that doesn't work, wait it out. Everything is a stage.