Math-U-See order in...

Discussion in 'General' started by jenn-, May 19, 2011.

1. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

and my pocketbook feels very light. I really wish they at least offered free shipping when you spend over a certain amount, but instead they just charge even more. All 4 kids are officially schooling now, so it is definitely going to get more expensive from here on out.

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I'm not looking forward to the bill of all of mine schooling either this year. That's stinks about the no free shipping! I try only to order during special offers to get free shipping.

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Nice thing is you won't have to reorder the teacher materials for the younger kids. I also ordered MUS stuff for 3 (Adam and the Primer for girlies to start), yesterday. Trey hated MUS and has been doing Life of Fred and actually enjoying math for the first time ever. Sage doesn't love MUS, though it's certainly not the terrible hatred that Trey had for it. But still, she's begging to do Life of Fred, too once she finishes the MUS book she's in in a couple weeks. So now I need to order the LoF book for her level. But the nice thing is that they're not workbooks, so once I have it, there's no reordering for other kids, if we go that route.

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

DD begged to have her MUS back after a year with Teaching Textbooks, so back we went. Maybe Mr. Demme can get her to understand fractions finally. I must admit, even though I was not happy with the cost of the shipping, I am very satistified with the shipping time I received my package 2 days after I ordered it.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack, but Dielle do YOU like LOF? I've been thinking of adding it for almost a year for David.

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Trey really likes it. It's quite funny, he likes the pace of it, and he seems to be actually getting more than he ever did before. I like the way the "bridges" are set up, so they get 5 chances to cross over to the next section. It seems to take a lot of the stress off doing a normal test, but still requires an understanding of particular things before moving on. On the site, they do recommend having a very solid grasp of the times tables, which Trey may be shaky on his entire life. We spent months doing Math It! and other drills and games to get him up to speed, and while he's vastly better than he was, it's really not his thing (he's dyslexic, which also seems to make some aspects of math difficult). So that slows him down a bit. But so far (1/2 way through the first book), he really likes it and seems to be finally grasping math, so that makes ME like it. And it's very self-directed, so I only check his bridge answers and answer a rare question that he's not sure about.

Sage is begging to do it next year, so as soon as she finishes the current MUS book, I'll get the LoF book that would be the next level. She does ok with math, but it's certainly not her favorite. She had a few years of major math anxiety, which slowing way down on MUS for awhile seemed to help with. But she is close to a year behind now because of that. I'm hopeful that LoF will help her speed it up a bit. Her best friend is using it and raving about it, so that's pushing her that way, too.

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I've been pretty certain that it would be a good fit for David's personality. I think it might connect things a bit better than Aleks for Algebra 1. I have a couple other things I might add in also, but those 2 seemed to be pretty quick moving from what I understand.

Thanks for the opinion! I've been searching for some first hand experience with LOF. No one here in my group has used it.

Thanks again!!!

8. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Oh, I wish I had been able to get this to you before you ordered! There is a MUS Swap where you can get a lot of things used. Here is the site. Maybe this will help you out next year!

9. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I will definitely look into it when it comes time to order again. The MUS books usually only last about half a school year for DD and I am sure the boys won't be very far behind her this year in usage.