Medicine help - sick kid -please!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happyfortwo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. happyfortwo

happyfortwo Member

I took both of my boys (they're 4) to the doctor about 10 days ago. She put both on antibiotics. One for bilateral ear infections and the other for sinus stuff. Both have not greatly improved...maybe slightly worse...so we went back to doctor today. My one son still has ear infections but now also has bronchitis. My other son still has sinus stuff but lungs are clear. She switched them to another antibiotic. The problem is that it must be super yucky tasting although it is "cherry flavor"! We tried twice to give it to my son with the bronchitis and he threw up both times half way through the medicine. He has a terribly weak gag reflex and throws up very easily. I'm so nervous because he needs this medicine bad. Does anyone have any tips on helping a child in his case take his medicine..and keep it down? My other son took it no problem! Thanks!

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Can it be put in the fridge? I know my kids gag on the Zythromax, but their Dr. said it can go in the fridge and it tastes better that way. Also, I would call the pharmacy and ask if they can add one of those cool flavorings to it. That may be enough to get it down.

3. happyfortwo

happyfortwo Member

Thanks...I'll try getting it cold! That might make the difference! Thanks again!

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can it be taken with food?? It's not ideal, but if you have to, and if it can be taken with food, mix it into some applesauce or pudding. You just have to be sure he eat's ALL of it so he gets all his meds.

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

When my boys were sick the other week one really disliked one of the medicines. It was a syrup, so I added just a touch of blueberry juice to it to help camoflauge the flavor. He did fine after that.

Also, on a side note, if your LOs are still having earaches maybe try putting a tiny dollop of warm olive oil in their ears. I actually read where garlic somehow helps alleviate ear pain, so I bought garlic infused olive oil and use that. And I swear it helps with their ear pain after a short while!

GL with your little sickies and hope they feel better soon!

6. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

It may be too yucky for this to work, but I have one that hates medicine. He will however drink it out of the medicine cup through a straw. I use the juice box straws. It makes no sense to me, but I guess he never gets that big mouthful of medicine. Other than that try mixing it in a strong flavored juice like pomegranate or cherry if he likes any of those.

7. betha

betha Well-Known Member

We used slightly melted ice cream for my DD once. I used a really small amount so she would finish it all. It worked for a while, until she saw me putting it in there. GL!

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you do decide to put it in stuff, like applesauce or pudding, ask for capsules from the pharmacy instead of liquid.

And my two really won't drink medicine anymore, so we have to get chewables or capsules as often as possible.

9. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Hershey's syrup can disguise the taste of a liquid medicine. Using capsules and putting in pudding or applesauce also works if you want to ask the doc for that.

10. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

If you have problems with health it's important to visit doctors. They can help you. The forum is a useful place but cmon

11. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Well-Known Member

Oh, if you are searching for a place where you can buy medicine then I would recommend you to search for something online. Actually, I know a good company that provided me with lift chairs. I think that you can contact them and they will provide you with all the necessary supplies. Be sure to check it out when you find some free time. Good luck.