Melting down for professional pictures

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Fran27, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We did their first professional pictures at 5.5 months. It wasn't planned and they didn't have the best clothes, but they did pretty well. Ok, DD cried, but DS was very smily and we got 6 good shots overall.

I went again today... It was planned this time... DS was melting down as soon as we put him on the 'stage', and DD was ok until the fourth attempt then started to cry too... I even took them for a walk to calm them down, and tried again... and all we got was one shot of each where they're not crying.

I'm so bummed. I didn't even buy a package or CD because it wasn't worth it for 2 poses, so I ended up just buying 4 sheets, one of each for us and two montages for grandmas (need to find frames now...). There was a third shot of them together but DS was crying on it so no thanks...

They were ok when they were held, DD was even fine with the photographer holding her, but they hated when we put them down... It was 2 hours only since they woke up from their nap (they woke up early), so they could not have been tired... They're usually great when we go out, they don't smile much but they never cry... I guess they're just shy in public or something.

So bummed!!!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine do the same thing! It gets worse the older they are! It's because they are in a strange place and they don't know the photographer, so the best we can get is a shot of them looking at her like "who are you crazy woman?" and not crying! 2 babies both not crying is the best I can hope for.

3. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

We went Sunday for our first time. DD is usually a ham in our pictures but after the first time or two of the flashes she cried every time. The lady was not very patient and not very good with babies. We were able to sneak out some good shots but we were not able to get one of the kids together. DS did fine. Hopefully next time will be better. Sorry your shoot didn't go well.

Jen

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Pictures are hard. We always went during a busy time of the year (not planned) and had to wait like 45 minutes past our appt. and so naps were horrible. :hug:

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pictures are hard indeed, especially when you desire two smiley babies. :hug:

6. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

oh no no i can never get 2 smiling babies! 1 if im lucky and really lucky if they dont end up in tears!

7. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We have had a horrible time the past few visits for pictures. I think our problem is that they happy when we get there, then we have to wait and by the time we get to go they aren't happy anymore... Funny thing though, our daycare had a photographer come to do fall pics and I thought we'd give them a try... BEST EVER. Lol, they are both smiling and look so cute! I don't know what they did but think I'm going to buy pics from them every time they come.

8. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We got great smiles until they hit 8 months - and from then on we're lucky to get one smiling and the other just staring (and most likely on the verge of crying). I am sure I look completely foolish as I'm trying to make them smile (or really, just trying to keep them from crying) during the photo shoot. Clapping, whistling, blowing raspberries, singing, making silly faces, saying their names, and on and on and on. I also pop the pacifier in the mouths in between poses - it seems to keep them from melting down at least.

It is frustrating - especially when you have smiley babies otherwise. But like others have said - strange place, strange person, strange cameras flashing in their eyes, etc. And then add 2 babies to the mix - and I think it is just about impossible! I remember how hard I used to work to get my older DS to smile - and we usually always got a few pics of him smiling - but it was just him. That definitely isn't happening this time around.

It will get better (eventually!). Have you tried taking any favorite toys with you to keep them distracted? That works for us sometimes....