Messy Highchairs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nikki_0724, Dec 18, 2006.

1. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

The mess in these chairs is getting to me..... I can take alot and even handle the messy faces and the food in their hair. But taking the high chair cover off everynight to wash it is driving me NUTS!!!!

We got the Graco Pooh highchairs with the fabric covered seats... I thought about just leaving the cover off and letting them sit on the chair but they are little crevices that the food gets stuck in...

Is anyone else going crazy with this?

How do you keep their chairs clean?

2. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

The mess in these chairs is getting to me..... I can take alot and even handle the messy faces and the food in their hair. But taking the high chair cover off everynight to wash it is driving me NUTS!!!!

We got the Graco Pooh highchairs with the fabric covered seats... I thought about just leaving the cover off and letting them sit on the chair but they are little crevices that the food gets stuck in...

Is anyone else going crazy with this?

How do you keep their chairs clean?

3. Smartycat

Smartycat Well-Known Member

Yes, messy highchairs drove me NUTS. We had the Fisher Price Healthy Care High Chair and I too was cleaning crevices and covers every night. So I ditched the chairs for the Fisher Price Healthy Car BOOSTER seats. These are smaller, have no cover, and the tray is much smaller so they are easier to clean. I simply wipe down the seat after each meal with a wet paper towel or Clorox wipe at the end of the day. MUCH easier than the whole high chair.

4. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

Yes it drives me crazy too but I am not washing the covers daily. I have a small vacuum in the kitchen I vacuum the chairs and the floor with after they eat. I wash the covers once a week and use clorox wipes on the chair.

5. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Ditto for the FP booster seats. They made life SO much easier. Not only can you wipe the whole thing down, but the seat itself actually fits in my kitchen sink so when it's really bad the whole thing gets a good scrubbing.

The trays can go in the dishwasher, but they don't fit in very well, and my dishwasher is usually full to bursting by the end of the day, so that rarely happens.

Also, the booster seats take up much less room, which made me happy. I was thrilled to give away our highchairs.

-Rachel

6. Faith_Pasc

Faith_Pasc Well-Known Member

Put me in as another vote for booster seats. We have the Safety First brand, bought at the recommendation of some of the TS ladies, and they are great. I don't even use the trays, just put them up to the table. Easy to clean and so much less cumbersome than the high-chairs.

Regards,
    Esther

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Ditto on the booster seats. We wash the trays at the sink with soap & water after each meal, and wipe the seats off once a day (more often if they're totally slimed). I can't imagine the girls eating in something that had to be washed in the machine.... Plus they take up much less space.

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I switched to a booster seat. My girls love sitting at the table like big girls nows. But they are still strapped in.

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I have the First Years seats and I ended up ditching the covers. They were a PITA to take off when they needed washing. The chairs do get gross though, crumbs fall down in between the seat and the sides, I had to take a knife and push the gunk out. The sides of the chairs get nasty too if I don't wash them all the time.