Middle car seat leans

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

We have 3 carseats across the back of our Explorer. Even when there weren't 3, sometimes we'd put the twins next to each other if we had another passenger, so one carseat ended up being in the middle. Well now it's like that full time.

Problem is, that middle one leans after a few days. A LOT. You can see the tilt from looking in the car. I've seen this problem on some other cars too. How do you elminate it?? We have to use the belt as LATCH is only on the two outside seats. I've tried anchoring the belt really tight with the clip and everything to get it not to move, but we always end up re-adjusting about once a week or so.

Any ideas??

Also, with the LATCH, once I turn them forward facing aren't we supposed to use the harness that's on the back of the carseat?? How does that work?? We have the latches on the seat portion, but I've heard there's supposed to be another place to hook the Harness onto?? I can't find one in my car.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My recommendation would be to find a local car seat check place in your area - a lot of hospitals and fire stations have people who are certified in car seat installations.

When your seat leans - can you move it more than 1 inch on the belt path? If you can move it more than 1 inch, it isn't installed correctly. Is your middle seat a lap belt or a shoulder belt?

You can use the top tether for both rear-facing and forward-facing. Most newer cars have an anchor for the top tether - but if your car doesn't, you can anchor that tether to a variety of things in the car. I'd have to look in my van's manual to find out what all you can tether them to. I'll look and post again tomorrow.

Seriously, though - you cannot go wrong taking it to an expert!

Good luck! :)

3. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Nope. That bad boy is in there good and solid. It gives MAYBE 1/4 of an inch in either direction. The lean thing just bugs the crap out of me. It's a shoulder belt that it's installed with.

I've taken them to our local FD a couple of times (with the different configurations and addition of an infant seat) and had them install them for me. Even then the middle one started leaning after about a week and a half. Guess I can ask them for tips on keeping the lean to a minimum. I've watched, and they've taught me out to properly install them so I make sure each time I have to redo it or reconfigure that I'm doing it properly...

We have a 2004 Explorer. That's why I'm so curious why there's no anchor to attach the top tether to becuase it's a fairly newer car. Unless that was something that started in the very recent past, maybe something I need to look out for in my search for a minivan??

Thanks for thehelp!!

4. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Only certain seats use the top tether rearfacing.

For front facing I think all of them must use the top tether. Check the back of seat near wear it would fold over or in the back cargo area. I would think your tether anchors are there. If not, since you have an SUV you should have a couple of anchors you could use in the cargo area.

5. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

i would call the local police dept i know our town has one cop that is trained on how to put in car seats. he did our seat everytime and they are in so tight i dont know if i could get them undone alone. but i know they are safe.
    they should know how to fix it so its safe.

6. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

A 2004 definitely has tether anchors to use for forward facing installations. Look on the ceiling of the cargo area, the floor of the cargo area (even as far back as the trunk door), or the back of the seat. For a rear facing installation (which is the safest way to keep your kids for as long as possible), you may have to attach the tether to a fixed object in the car, such as the front seat bracket on the floor.

As for the leaning problem, you might want to post your question on a car seat forum, there are lots of car seat installation experts there.

Two good car seat forums I have found are found at: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    and http://car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Good luck!