Milk Poll for those with 2 year olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by melissao, Dec 12, 2006.

1. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I was reading a magazine today and it said that most pediatricians recommend switching to 2% or skim milk at 2 years old. Mine are still drinking whole milk and the pedi didn't mention switching at their 2 year appt. I didn't know to ask either! So I thought I'd check to see what everyone here is doing [​IMG] The article I read said that the calcium content is higher in the lower fat content milks. Mine are pretty skinny (only 26 lbs.) so maybe they still need the extra fat? Anyway...

2. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I was reading a magazine today and it said that most pediatricians recommend switching to 2% or skim milk at 2 years old. Mine are still drinking whole milk and the pedi didn't mention switching at their 2 year appt. I didn't know to ask either! So I thought I'd check to see what everyone here is doing [​IMG] The article I read said that the calcium content is higher in the lower fat content milks. Mine are pretty skinny (only 26 lbs.) so maybe they still need the extra fat? Anyway...

3. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

At our pedi recommendation, we switched to 2% at their 2 year check up.

They weighed 25/26 lbs. respectively.

I always buy 2% now. Sometimes DH forgets and picks up whole milk.

PS. My girlfriend's pedi told her to give her kids whatever they have in the house/drink, so she gives them skim milk.

4. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

We just had our 2 year check today and she didn't say anything about switching. She just asked how much milk they drink. The twins drink whole and we drink skim... It would be nice to all drink the same, but I'm not sure I would give them skim... hummmm... [​IMG]

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Although the boys went to 2% a couple of months ago, DD didn't switch until she was over 6 (same time her brothers did). DD needed the fat as she is super skinny. When Brandon goes to drinking milk, William and Alexis will probably go back to whole (both are falling off the weight chart again), while Nathan and Daddy will continue with 2% (neither of them need the extra fat).

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My ped says as long as your child is not underweight, and gets fat from other sources (like cheese, yogurt, salmon, nuts... the typical American diet has plenty of fats) skim milk is fine after 2.

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I voted other, because my girls drink a toddler formula which is for 1 to 3 year olds. Here in Mexico the normal switch is at 3, not 2, but children and adults here do not drink a lot of milk. Many adults may only drink a cup or less a week. Handmade corn tortillas are a good source of calcuim.

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

They drink 2% at home. It was a hard sell on Paul because the only kind of milk he would drink was whole milk but he understood that they don't need that high fat & calorie content in a beverage that they drink so much of. I'd like to switch to 1% but the organic milk at Costco is 2%. At restaurants or other people's houses, the girls just drink whatever is available.

9. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

Our pedi recommended the change to 2% at 2 because most normal 2 year old diets will easily meet their daily fat requirement without added fat from whole milk. Even with "skinny" kids (and that would certainly have described mine at 2), too much fat (like too much sugar) in their diet is not recommended. You could actually look at the fat values of what they eat and do a calculation to see if they should be sticking with the whole milk. I always think that pedi's generalizing about what changes at a certain age, should be presented with a full explanation and options. We're certainly bright enough to make an informed decisions with all the information. Right ladies!

a href="http://lilypie.com">[​IMG]