Mixing Formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tcap, Feb 10, 2009.

1. tcap

tcap Well-Known Member

My milk supply is not keeping up with my twins and I am going to start giving them formula a few times a day. When mixing formula powder what type of water do you use? Do you buy drinking water? Does it have flouride?

2. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

We use our brita ultra max. But I'm sure tap water might be fine too. Depends on where you live.

3. zndsmom

zndsmom Well-Known Member

We use tap water.

4. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I use the Nursery water that you buy in the Jugs in the baby food section.

5. reichvt4l

reichvt4l Active Member

I also use tap water--checked with Ped and she said it's fine as long as you're not on well water.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I used the Nursery Water as well.

7. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

We use bottled water, only because our well water has too much flouride in it. Otherwise we would use our well water.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

For the first 3 months I had to boil the water to sterilize it since they were preemies. But once I no longer had to do that, I bought the Nursery water. I dont drink my tap water and I didnt think they should either.

9. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

We use tap water in our home, however, when they visit grandma, she has well water, so they use Poland Springs.

10. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

We have well water that goes through 2 big filters first then through our PUR filter-ped said this was fine.

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used water from the tap. The water here doesn't have flouride. Ask your pedi, my pedi is the one who told us to use tap water.

12. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We used tap water as well. Our city has good water, so there wasn't a reason not too.

13. tburke75

tburke75 Well-Known Member

I used the filtered tap water that comes out of my fridge tap. Up until 3 months I used bottled water. That became a hassle since my recycling is only picked up once every two weeks and I hate clutter.

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We used bottled water for 6 months, then switched to tap. My issue with water bottles, is that it's much cheaper to buy the small ones, which makes no sense whatsoever and creates more waste.

15. gustketwins

gustketwins Well-Known Member

We use bottle water. My advice is to choose which ever kind of water and try not to change it. I travel alot with the twins and they are sensitive to other times of water. So if you use tap them make sure and take some with you we you are out. My brothers son they did think about the water and was using bottled water and they picked up a different kind and he had bad diarrea. So just be careful

16. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that switching water can cause tummy upset, we learned that the hard way when we went to canada when my daughter was 3 months old.

Our ped said city water is fine, but if you are on well water to at least boil it, if not use the nursery water at the store.

17. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I use regular bottled water which I buy in the supermarket. I´ve never had a problem.