MMR and autism

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by avenable, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I was planning on waiting until 2 for MMR, but now I am thinking 3. We'll definitely get it done, I'm justnot in a rush.

2. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

Given the heat surrounding the vaccine debate I help back from really getting into it the first time I posted, but I had to say something now. Contrary to popular belief, the Amish rate of autism is nearly the same as the general U.S. population. When real doctors and scientists have gone in to investigate the claims that autism was non-existent, they just had to check it out, adults with autism spectrum disorder were discovered, even though it was reported by one popular anti-vaccine "doctor" that there were no Amish adults with autism. Since the Amish shy away from traditional western medicine, especially in the form of psychology and neurological disorders, these cases just weren't discovered or they were written off as some other developmental issue. The Amish had never heard of the word Autism, people with developmental issues were either hidden in their homes or simply expected to be in the mainstream of their little society- nothing in between. It wasn't until the last 20 or 30 years that they felt the need to educate or help their disabled citizens because they were shameful to them. Much like the rest of the world when we had little understanding of these issues. Autism isn't suddenly going to show up in their society now, it's already there and has been.

We do not know what it is that causes autism. It is likely a combination of factors. It is unfortunate that there are crazy people out there dispersing inaccurate information on the internet and preaching it as truth. I get angry every day when I see a fellow mom in front of me with a bumper sticker that reads "Autism isn't a mystery, it's Mercury". Why do I get mad? Well, I avoided all fish during pregnancy due to mercury, I've been vigilant about making sure none of the vaccines any of my children have gotten contain thimerisol, I do not live in an area contaminated with mercury, etc. Yet I have a son who is all but diagnosed with autism. It isn't mercury. Yes, mercury can cause neurological damage, especially in high, repeated doses that is scientific fact. But it's not the cause of my son's problems and I resent someone proclaiming it is that simple and the rest of us are idiots for ignoring the "FACTS". It is not a fact!

Anyone who thinks they have the answers to autism would be hailed as a miracle worker with the Nobel Prize. Anyone that even hints that they have discovered a possible link with autism causes a frenzy of research in their wake, just hoping they are right and it has finally happened. **** the latest study out of Cornell (I think it's Cornell, correct me please) is claiming a link between autism and television. Okay ladies, time to get all the t.v.'s out of your house and never ever watch television again! Isn't that a crazy statement? But that is what many non-vaccinators do when they preach vaccines are the thing causing autism. The government and the medical community would NEVER purposely avoid researching any claim of a link to autism. You realty have no idea how much research has been or is being done. Then people say, how could you take the chance by vaccinating knowing it could cause it? Well, I never want to regret it if I were to I see my child permanently brain damaged from measles because I chose not to protect him. I can't take the chance that my child will be one of thousands to die from flu or pertussis this winter. Death is a much harder thing for me to face, but that's me.

I am getting off on a tangent with all that. The truth is "simple" childhood diseases like measles, mumps, and others can and do kill and cause damage every single day in developed countries,including ours, not just in Africa. Measles for one can cause severe neurological damage-permanent damage- in it's mildest form.There is a much higher rate of complications from measles than from the vaccine. Many people believe that we don't have a true picture of actual vaccine reactions/complications but we do. By law, even a fever reported to your pediatrician after a vaccine, has to be reported as a vaccine reaction. Yes, many people survive measles, but hundreds of thousands die or are permanently disabled every year by this simple childhood disease. Unless 95% of a population is vaccinated against this particular disease it can thrive in the environment and spread quickly through an unvaccinated/at risk population. Some vaccinated people catch mild forms of the diseases we vaccinate for, but I think the rate is less than 5% these days. These people usually have a milder form of the disease with less of a chance of serious complications from it. You do not develop a natural defense to these diseases. If exposed, you will catch then. Antibiotics won't help and you have no idea how fast the damage can be done. Once you discover it, it's too late. I for one do not want to take the chance with my children and that is my choice. Just as it is someone else's choice not to vaccinate.

The medical community is not out to get the public. Although our national political machine is not looking out for our best interests, the doctors, scientists and nurses doing research for our benefit are always hoping to find the answers to help people- or even one person. I have to say, having witnessed my son developing normally and then going away it is heartbreaking. I know I did nothing to cause it. I know it wasn't vaccines. It was something but it also wasn't sudden. It happened slowly over a few months and is continuing. He has lost all communication skills, no longer claps, no longer attempts eye contact, etc. He was our most social twin. If it was environmental, his IDENTICAL twin would also be experiencing these issues and he is not.Nothing in their short lives has been different from the other. His genes are expressing themselves differently from his twin, as they tend to do. I hate it, I am devastated. My family is reeling from the acceptance that there is such an awful disease in our lives for the rest of our lives. It is painful to think who he was is now gone. Since I did not vaccinate on schedule, I can say without a doubt it was not MMR that caused my son's disease. I wish you all peace with your decisions. It is your duty as a parent to do as much real, factual research on both sides of this debate before you condemn your children to live with your decisions. I don't mean condemn in the deathly, crazy end of the world way, it's just the appropriate word for the sentence. Good luck and great health to all of you and your children. I hope you never experience what we are going through.

Kelly

3. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

QUOTE(stacyann_1 @ Aug 31 2007, 01:19 AM) [snapback]387174[/snapback]
    I was planning on waiting until 2 for MMR, but now I am thinking 3. We'll definitely get it done, I'm justnot in a rush.

The risk of major complications and death from measles is the highest for children between the ages of 1 and 4. If you're going to do it at all, separate it from other vaccines, do it later than the others, but don't wait too long.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for this post, it has been interesting reading all of the responses. My older children all got the MMR at 12 months on schedule with no problems. Faced with this issue again with the twins I'm not sure what to do. I have never really believed there is a link between the two (and if there is why are more boys diagnosed with autism than girls when I imagine the vaccination rates are about the same for boys & girls), but if there is even a possibility of a link then it makes me think twice. I do want them vaccinated, I know there is still a risk today of getting measles or mumps, mostly because so many people are choosing not to vaccinate. I didn't know that the vaccines could be separated, maybe I will look into that or delaying until 15 months. Either way it is definitely something I will discuss with their doctor.

5. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KellyJ @ Aug 30 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]387234[/snapback]
    Given the heat surrounding the vaccine debate I help back from really getting into it the first time I posted, but I had to say something now. Contrary to popular belief, the Amish rate of autism is nearly the same as the general U.S. population. When real doctors and scientists have gone in to investigate the claims that autism was non-existent, they just had to check it out, adults with autism spectrum disorder were discovered, even though it was reported by one popular anti-vaccine "doctor" that there were no Amish adults with autism. Since the Amish shy away from traditional western medicine, especially in the form of psychology and neurological disorders, these cases just weren't discovered or they were written off as some other developmental issue. The Amish had never heard of the word Autism, people with developmental issues were either hidden in their homes or simply expected to be in the mainstream of their little society- nothing in between. It wasn't until the last 20 or 30 years that they felt the need to educate or help their disabled citizens because they were shameful to them. Much like the rest of the world when we had little understanding of these issues. Autism isn't suddenly going to show up in their society now, it's already there and has been.

We do not know what it is that causes autism. It is likely a combination of factors. It is unfortunate that there are crazy people out there dispersing inaccurate information on the internet and preaching it as truth. I get angry every day when I see a fellow mom in front of me with a bumper sticker that reads "Autism isn't a mystery, it's Mercury". Why do I get mad? Well, I avoided all fish during pregnancy due to mercury, I've been vigilant about making sure none of the vaccines any of my children have gotten contain thimerisol, I do not live in an area contaminated with mercury, etc. Yet I have a son who is all but diagnosed with autism. It isn't mercury. Yes, mercury can cause neurological damage, especially in high, repeated doses that is scientific fact. But it's not the cause of my son's problems and I resent someone proclaiming it is that simple and the rest of us are idiots for ignoring the "FACTS". It is not a fact!

Anyone who thinks they have the answers to autism would be hailed as a miracle worker with the Nobel Prize. Anyone that even hints that they have discovered a possible link with autism causes a frenzy of research in their wake, just hoping they are right and it has finally happened. **** the latest study out of Cornell (I think it's Cornell, correct me please) is claiming a link between autism and television. Okay ladies, time to get all the t.v.'s out of your house and never ever watch television again! Isn't that a crazy statement? But that is what many non-vaccinators do when they preach vaccines are the thing causing autism. The government and the medical community would NEVER purposely avoid researching any claim of a link to autism. You realty have no idea how much research has been or is being done. Then people say, how could you take the chance by vaccinating knowing it could cause it? Well, I never want to regret it if I were to I see my child permanently brain damaged from measles because I chose not to protect him. I can't take the chance that my child will be one of thousands to die from flu or pertussis this winter. Death is a much harder thing for me to face, but that's me.

I am getting off on a tangent with all that. The truth is "simple" childhood diseases like measles, mumps, and others can and do kill and cause damage every single day in developed countries,including ours, not just in Africa. Measles for one can cause severe neurological damage-permanent damage- in it's mildest form.There is a much higher rate of complications from measles than from the vaccine. Many people believe that we don't have a true picture of actual vaccine reactions/complications but we do. By law, even a fever reported to your pediatrician after a vaccine, has to be reported as a vaccine reaction. Yes, many people survive measles, but hundreds of thousands die or are permanently disabled every year by this simple childhood disease. Unless 95% of a population is vaccinated against this particular disease it can thrive in the environment and spread quickly through an unvaccinated/at risk population. Some vaccinated people catch mild forms of the diseases we vaccinate for, but I think the rate is less than 5% these days. These people usually have a milder form of the disease with less of a chance of serious complications from it. You do not develop a natural defense to these diseases. If exposed, you will catch then. Antibiotics won't help and you have no idea how fast the damage can be done. Once you discover it, it's too late. I for one do not want to take the chance with my children and that is my choice. Just as it is someone else's choice not to vaccinate.

The medical community is not out to get the public. Although our national political machine is not looking out for our best interests, the doctors, scientists and nurses doing research for our benefit are always hoping to find the answers to help people- or even one person. I have to say, having witnessed my son developing normally and then going away it is heartbreaking. I know I did nothing to cause it. I know it wasn't vaccines. It was something but it also wasn't sudden. It happened slowly over a few months and is continuing. He has lost all communication skills, no longer claps, no longer attempts eye contact, etc. He was our most social twin. If it was environmental, his IDENTICAL twin would also be experiencing these issues and he is not.Nothing in their short lives has been different from the other. His genes are expressing themselves differently from his twin, as they tend to do. I hate it, I am devastated. My family is reeling from the acceptance that there is such an awful disease in our lives for the rest of our lives. It is painful to think who he was is now gone. Since I did not vaccinate on schedule, I can say without a doubt it was not MMR that caused my son's disease. I wish you all peace with your decisions. It is your duty as a parent to do as much real, factual research on both sides of this debate before you condemn your children to live with your decisions. I don't mean condemn in the deathly, crazy end of the world way, it's just the appropriate word for the sentence. Good luck and great health to all of you and your children. I hope you never experience what we are going through.

Kelly

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank YOU!
    I've been discussing this thread with my best friend, who has a son with Autism (he's almost 7). If she were here, she'd type out exactly the same thing! I wish more people would stop and really evaluate the things they read and pay attention to where those "studies" and "facts" come from. Unfortunately, the answer just isn't that simple.

Something else to point out...
    Recent studies claim that the Autism rate is rising. That may or may not exactly be the case. It could be a rise in children being diagnosed who wouldn't have been just a short time ago. Five years ago, these children might have been put in a completely different category, and for a very long time, children with Autism were considered to have a mental illness. The Autism spectrum is so incredibly broad, too. It can range from small sensory issues to children who sit in a corner and rock all day.

And Kelly, I understand what you're going through right now and how tough it must be, if only as an outsider looking in who's watched someone they care very much about fight every day for her son. Many hugs and prayers.

6. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I'm not at all passionate about this subject, but I had to call into question this assertment.

The gov't entities who approve vaccines (CDC, FDA, etc.) also are allowed to own equities in these same pharmaceutical companies. It's easy for them to get waivers to do so. So they can profit from approving a new vaccine. That scares me. And there are Senators like Dan Burton-Indiana, who are fighting this whole shady process of how vaccines become "approved".

If I read this correctly, you're saying that the CDC and the FDA own shares in pharmaceutical companies. Where is the basis for making that statement? Since when does the federal govt own any companies or shares? And if I'm wrong, when did the govt start acquiring companies? Where does the profit go? Are taxpayer dollars used to pay for company losses?

We did all vaccinations on schedule. My uncle contracted polio as a child and has lived with miserable side effects throughout his life - he's now confined to a wheelchair. Although I have researched vaccines and the most mainstream concerns, I felt that the benefits of vaccines far outweighed the slight risks. But then I'm of the opinion that vaccines and antibiotics were the greatest medical inventions of the 20th century.

7. lettered olive

lettered olive Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KellyJ @ Aug 30 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]387234[/snapback]

Kelly

I agree that in some cases, there is a true autism that is completely genetic. But I feel very strongly that in most cases today, there is an environmental component. And it IS NOT ALWAYS the vaccinations (I wish it was that simple)---but it could have been several other environmental components that caused your son's regression. And none of it would be your fault!!! We just don't know enough about autism right now to know what is causing these problems in our kids.

If it weren't environmental, then doing biomedical interventions would not help kids with autism. But they DO!!! You see autistic kids with smelly rotten poop/constipation/diarrhea or food allergies, they go on the gluten-free/casein-free diet, and they start talking, making better eye contact, etc. My son is ONE OF THEM! You see autistic kids test positive for high levels of heavy metals, put them through a heavy metal detoxification process, and suddenly they are starting to talk! These biomedical interventions are WORKING because there is an environmental component that caused their autistic symptoms. I have talked with literally 20+ parents of autistic kids in my suburban town who are trying this diet and other interventions and they are helping their kids! I have emailed with many more parents not living in my town that are seeing these interventions working. These things cannot be ignored.

I wish no one ever had to go through this either. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. WAY harder than infertility ever was. :(

8. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lettered olive @ Aug 31 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]388259[/snapback]
    I agree that in some cases, there is a true autism that is completely genetic. But I feel very strongly that in most cases today, there is an environmental component. And it IS NOT ALWAYS the vaccinations (I wish it was that simple)---but it could have been several other environmental components that caused your son's regression. And none of it would be your fault!!! We just don't know enough about autism right now to know what is causing these problems in our kids.

If it weren't environmental, then doing biomedical interventions would not help kids with autism. But they DO!!! You see autistic kids with smelly rotten poop/constipation/diarrhea or food allergies, they go on the gluten-free/casein-free diet, and they start talking, making better eye contact, etc. My son is ONE OF THEM! You see autistic kids test positive for high levels of heavy metals, put them through a heavy metal detoxification process, and suddenly they are starting to talk! These biomedical interventions are WORKING because there is an environmental component that caused their autistic symptoms. I have talked with literally 20+ parents of autistic kids in my suburban town who are trying this diet and other interventions and they are helping their kids! I have emailed with many more parents not living in my town that are seeing these interventions working. These things cannot be ignored.

I wish no one ever had to go through this either. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. WAY harder than infertility ever was. :(

And for every family you talk to that it's worked for, there are five families where it hasn't.
    There are four women that I know very well, each has a son with Autism, except for one who we expect will have a diagnosis by the end of the year. Out of those four, only one has seen an improvement with the diet, and he's considered "higher functioning." He also has Albinism. She had 14 miscarriages before being able to carry a pregnancy to term. What if it IS genetics?

Nobody is ignoring the evidence that in *some* cases, it works. But, a majority of families have had no luck with the diet or with testing (which is apparently really unpleasant) for heavy metal poisoning. There is no one solution for every child, because every child is different and Autism can show itself in a million different ways. Again, nobody is overlooking the evidence, only recognizing that it isn't THE answer.

9. mnj003

mnj003 New Member

I to waited until after the 12 month mark, infact i waited with all 3 of my children until they were 2.

10. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

I did not mean to come across that I did not think there could be an environmental component, because it is obvious there is one or many in some cases. My twins have been diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. Was it the dairy in my diet while pregnant or pumping my milk for them that could have contributed to Jake's developmental issues? Was it the formula they fed them in the hospital? I knew they had an issue with dairy from the moment they first fed them formula at 3 days of age in the hospital. They vomited non-stop until it was out of their system and did it again when they fed them again a few days later. When my body would not cooperate and produce milk for them after 9 weeks of doing everything a woman can do to produce milk without starving her children to death, I went straight to soy and my "colic-y" babies finally slept. Tah-dah and hallelujah!! Diet is what sustains us, makes us live,it influences our body chemistry which it turn influences behavior and/or disease processes- sure I believe changing the diet can help. However, I haven't seen diet or chelation (removal of heavy metals from the body with chemicals) therapy make an autistic child in to a non-autistic child. Is the damage done and it can't be reversed? or is it just that autistic people in general don't process things within their body the way you or I do? I can't answer that. There are thousands of people in the world with a "birth defect" that prevents them from processing certain amino acids. If they consume them, they have terrible side-effects including death. Could autism be like this? Maybe.

Am I going to try diets that may help my child become more well-adjusted, or could maybe help him wake up to the world around him? I probably will and why wouldn't I. Will I try chelation therapy? Probably not. At least not until there is more scientific data on it's use in autistic children. Some children have been left much worse off as a result of this controversial therapy. Doctors just don't know how much of the drugs to use to help autistic children.They do know how much to use when a heavy metal poisoning has occurred and I suppose if you know the actual quantity of heavy metals in the body you could figure it out. But those are dangerous drug of last resort usage- life or death. It wasn't manufactured or studied for use in the manner of treating autism. Of course that opens up a whole other can of worms. Yes, many drugs were labeled for one use but are used to treat other things. I just don't want to be among the first and I don't want my son to end up dead like a child did last year. My son a wonderful child and I will not risk his life so I can hear his voice say 'Mommy' or so he'll look me in the eyes for more than a minute total per day. I would give up my life to protect his. He is happy and joyful- he's just not "normal" and usually not present, but always doing what he loves to do.

I'm not closed off to the realities of the world we live in. It's getting worse, people are sicker, children are in trouble, our environment is going down the tubes. We humans are making a terrible impact on our planet and our children are and will be paying the price. I will do anything to help my children except place them in harm's way if I can help it. Thank you for your post about diet and how much it has helped your child. I am very interested in hearing about it. Diet is the one thing I can control! Have a good evening!

Kelly

11. lettered olive

lettered olive Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KellyJ @ Aug 31 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]388365[/snapback]
    I did not mean to come across that I did not think there could be an environmental component, because it is obvious there is one or many in some cases. My twins have been diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. Was it the dairy in my diet while pregnant or pumping my milk for them that could have contributed to Jake's developmental issues? Was it the formula they fed them in the hospital? I knew they had an issue with dairy from the moment they first fed them formula at 3 days of age in the hospital. They vomited non-stop until it was out of their system and did it again when they fed them again a few days later. When my body would not cooperate and produce milk for them after 9 weeks of doing everything a woman can do to produce milk without starving her children to death, I went straight to soy and my "colic-y" babies finally slept. Tah-dah and hallelujah!! Diet is what sustains us, makes us live,it influences our body chemistry which it turn influences behavior and/or disease processes- sure I believe changing the diet can help. However, I haven't seen diet or chelation (removal of heavy metals from the body with chemicals) therapy make an autistic child in to a non-autistic child. Is the damage done and it can't be reversed? or is it just that autistic people in general don't process things within their body the way you or I do? I can't answer that. There are thousands of people in the world with a "birth defect" that prevents them from processing certain amino acids. If they consume them, they have terrible side-effects including death. Could autism be like this? Maybe.

Am I going to try diets that may help my child become more well-adjusted, or could maybe help him wake up to the world around him? I probably will and why wouldn't I. Will I try chelation therapy? Probably not. At least not until there is more scientific data on it's use in autistic children. Some children have been left much worse off as a result of this controversial therapy. Doctors just don't know how much of the drugs to use to help autistic children.They do know how much to use when a heavy metal poisoning has occurred and I suppose if you know the actual quantity of heavy metals in the body you could figure it out. But those are dangerous drug of last resort usage- life or death. It wasn't manufactured or studied for use in the manner of treating autism. Of course that opens up a whole other can of worms. Yes, many drugs were labeled for one use but are used to treat other things. I just don't want to be among the first and I don't want my son to end up dead like a child did last year. My son a wonderful child and I will not risk his life so I can hear his voice say 'Mommy' or so he'll look me in the eyes for more than a minute total per day. I would give up my life to protect his. He is happy and joyful- he's just not "normal" and usually not present, but always doing what he loves to do.

I'm not closed off to the realities of the world we live in. It's getting worse, people are sicker, children are in trouble, our environment is going down the tubes. We humans are making a terrible impact on our planet and our children are and will be paying the price. I will do anything to help my children except place them in harm's way if I can help it. Thank you for your post about diet and how much it has helped your child. I am very interested in hearing about it. Diet is the one thing I can control! Have a good evening!

Kelly

Also I give my son vitamins and minerals that were developed for autistic children (by a biochemist who has two "recovered" sons). He also gets cold liver oil (shown to help with speech issues) and probiotics for good GI health. And of course he receives the mainstream therapies that I believe are the MOST important thing we can do for our children, the developmental therapy, OT, SLP. Those have made as much of an impact on my son as the GFCF diet and vitamin supplements. I definitely agree with you about being careful about what we give our kids even if it is under a doctor's care. I am not sold on the chelation therapy either (it is scary stuff) but if my son tested positive for large amounts of heavy metals that aren't supposed to be there I would definitely be considering it. Hopefully we won't have to consider that route. I think my son's main issues have to do with diet and problems with his GI system. Since we've addressed those things are getting better....but of course he is not "cured" or even close. You are right, once the damage is done, it is hard to know if it can be reversed. I'd like to think so...especially at a young age when the brain is still growing and making new connections...I am hoping that by healing my son's body it will also help heal his brain and then the OT and SLP therapies he receives will be more effective. He may never be considered a "typically developing" child but I want him to be the best that he can be, to live up to his full potential. I'm hoping that his full potential is to go to school, graduate, go to college, get married, have children, be a productive member of society, and be a kind and loving person. That last part he already is. ;)

Good luck to you and your family. Obviously you are a wonderful mother to your son, your words express how much you love him! He will get the best of what he needs and you are the best one to decide what will help him! We mothers have that intuition I think to know what our children need. --Karen

12. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

All my kids have got their vaccs on time...the diseases themselves, scare me more than the risk of a reaction

13. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

IMO i do not think autisim is linked with the MMR jag. There is no scientific proof that the two are linked. I actually think that NOT having the jag is more serious as measels can actually cause death if not treated. We do not get the choice over here to have the jag seperated so they got it all together and i dont see a difference in them from before they had to now. Over here autisim doesnt usually get diagnosed to around the age of 18/19 months as that is when they start showing signs of there development being different and because it is so close to the MMR jag age people are connecting the two. I dont know if there is a slight difference over in America. It is entirely up to your self if you let your kids get it go with your instincts. Goodl uck with your decision x

14. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I was very scared about this happening to my babies...but went ahead with the vaccines for the girls at 18 months and Garrett at 2 yrs old. They did not have any adverse reaction..THANK GOD. But now my nephew is being diginosed autism..and I guess he got all of his shots at the "peds recommended" time.

I would follow your heart totally and do what you feel is right for your child/children.

Brandy

15. LindyFrog

LindyFrog Well-Known Member

I spoke with my pedi today at our appt. He separates the vaccines out right now, not because of the autism idea, but simply because it is really difficult to get the combined vaccine right now. I first asked him if he was separating it out because of the autism idea, and he said no, there are no studies that support the idea that autism comes from vaccine. He said that actually, studies show that autism is in equal amounts of children in both vaccinated and non-vaccinated. In Denmark, evidently about half the population vaccinates and the other does not. There are equal amounts of autism in both groups.

16. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

First I want to say that I didnt read this entire thread, just bits and pieces...As far as the MMR being seperated, I dont think that is such a great idea either. Most people who dont vax or some selective vaxers dont think that vaccines themselves are bad, it is the ingrediants in them such as aluminum, formaldhyde, aborted fetal cells, etc. So if you get the MMR shot in one swing, you get the nasty ingrediants one time. If you separate it, you get them 3 times. Just another way to think about it...

And you (OP) asked "what did you do", we are a no vax family so my girls didnt get the MMR or any other shot for that matter.

17. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LindyFrog @ Sep 4 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]393044[/snapback]
    He said that actually, studies show that autism is in equal amounts of children in both vaccinated and non-vaccinated. In Denmark, evidently about half the population vaccinates and the other does not. There are equal amounts of autism in both groups.

Did he give you any references to these studies? There have never been any hard core, studies done on vaccinated vs. unvaccinated people. There have been independant studies done here in the US by Dan Olmsted dealing with autism in the Amish communities who dont vaccinate and another by an independant research company

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/olmsted.html

http://www.generationrescue.org/survey.html

These arent by any means "proof", just interesting reading...

18. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

Angie, I've been wondering when you'd post in this thread. ;)

19. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Sep 5 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]394049[/snapback]

LOL!! My computer is trying to quit on me so I dont get on often anymore. I miss it though! Besides me and my DH are gamers so when the kids go down for bed, we start playing video games. Just isnt much time for the computer anymore :) Kids are sleeping now so I thought I would take advantage of it haha! Thanks for thinking of me though :winking0009:

20. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Well-Known Member

I was waiting for angie7 too. Maybe we can hit the 5 page mark?

21. prettybaby25

prettybaby25 Well-Known Member

We did not give our boys the MMR shot yet. They turned 2 in May and we may give it at 3 yrs old. By that time it will be well established whether they are autistic or not (they aren't) so if they suddenly turn autistic I know it was the shot and I will suing everyone and anyone!!!!

We are not vaccinating our new baby on the regular schedule....just to be safe.

22. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Sep 5 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]394049[/snapback]

I was waiting too ;) I usually stay out of these threads now though...

As for the OP's question, you have to do what is right for your family, and what you decide on. What you feel is best for your children.

We are also a non vaxing family, my girls have never had a shot in their life (well, one at birth that we were badgered into, one of my biggest regrets and I am so thankful nothing happened to them because of it). So no, they have not recieved the MMR.