MMR Vaccine

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lauravic, Oct 6, 2011.

1. lauravic

lauravic Member

Hello all,

Twins had the MMR vaccine a week ago and DD has run a fever of 103 for the last two days, DS ran a temp of 102.5 today. I know this is a relatively normal response to the vaccine, but we paged paediatrician anyway and she said not to worry. I actually thought it was teething fever until I picked up DD and she reakized she was really really hot. I guess my question is did this happen to anyone else? How long did the fever last? Did it disrupt their sleep?
    Just looking for moral support *sheepish grin*

Thanks!
    Laura

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh! I hated that vaccine! Annabella was fine with it. The boys got the rash and fever like you said. I would treat the fever-give motrin/tylenol(I always did motrin usually). Warm baths to help bring it down. Push fluids. Let them do whatever they want-movies, etc. Popsicles if they won't eat. It was probably about a week with the rash and maybe two to three days with the fever. It's no fun seeing your kids sick. I hope they feel better soon!

Has the 103 fever come down once medicine is given? I'm pretty sure if there is a fever for three days they want to see you. Keep us posted! :hug:

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, several of my kids have had a pretty high fever following the MMR. Two or three days if I remember correctly, followed by the measly looking rash. :hug: Hope it doesn't last long for you guys!

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Personally, with a fever that high, I would probably have them checked for ear infection, etc. just to be sure. But I'm really cautious about that kind of stuff.

5. lauravic

lauravic Member

Yes, the fever goes down with meds. I was concerned about ear infections, with a fever that high, especially since they only just got over a bad case of flu, with a course of antibiotics for the ear infections. They seem better today, no high temps. I think the worst is behind us *fingers crossed*.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice... :)

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

The MMR was the only vax that we experienced a reaction. About a week later M developed a big red hot spot on her arm and had a fever. Pedi suggested motrin and ice the arm (ha! trying to get a 14 month old to keep ice on her arm! :D). Interestingly when they had their MMR booster, they didn't have any reaction.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

When my dd was four she reacted to something (vaccine) that created a softball sized swelling on her leg, at the injection site. No fever though. That was the only one she ever reacted to. I hope she gets better soon. No fun.